BRITAX BLVD vs. RADIAN XT for 2000 SUBARU LEGACY

mommie

Okay I am torn. I have an almost 3 yr old DS. I dont know if I should go with the Britax Boulevard or the Radian XT. I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy that doesnt seem to have LATCH. I can only find the tether strap LATCH on the back of the seat. HELP!!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Is your child forward- or rear-facing? If the child is already forward-facing and you intend to stay that way, I would not recommend either seat -- I'd go with a good combination seat like the Graco Nautilus or Frontier85.

Pixels

How heavy is your son? Will you be rear facing him or forward facing only?

If he's rear facing, I would get the Radian for the leg room if you can get a good install.

If he's forward facing, I would get none of the above. I would get a Nautilus, Frotier, or Maestro.

mommie

He only weighs about 25 lbs and is in the 5th percentile. He is currently forward facing, because his legs get jammed if he were rear facing.

I think the only option would be to use the middle seat belt because I dont have LATCH.

Is your child forward- or rear-facing? If the child is already forward-facing and you intend to stay that way, I would not recommend either seat -- I'd go with a good combination seat like the Graco Nautilus or Frontier85.

He is currently forward facing. He weighs about 25 lbs -- he is tiny. I want something that he can nap in and his head wont slump over either.

Last edited by a moderator:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The lack of LATCH should not keep you from installing outboard.

If he was RFing in, say, a Graco MyRide, he'd have plenty of leg room and no head slump.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
There is some safety advantage to installing in the center, but a proper install trumps. Your post made it seem like not having LATCH would influence where you chose to install.

Cryssy Jane

The safest position in your vehicle is the one you can get the best install (less than 1 inch of movement at the beltpath), other than that, if you can get the same install in any position it's up to you where you want to place the seat.

Even though he's 3, if he only weighs 25lbs I would really turn him back rear facing. I'd also look into the safety first complete air, or the graco my ride, or even the true fit in addition to the radian xt. I would not get a boulevard personally just because there is next to nil room for legs for an older rear facer, and I've heard from some kids that there isn't very much leg support for longer legged forward facers.

ETA: here's one of my old daycare kiddos and good family friend. She's 4 and was roughly 30lbs at this point.
IMG_0163-1.jpg

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Some are easier than others, though. My 2001 Legacy wagon does not have the long belt stalks that some others do, and a Radian installs quite easily outboard with vehicle belts. Center is... challenging.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC