Britax Advocate vs. Boulavard vs. Pavillion

newmommy929

Ok, so I am in need of getting a new convertible seat for one of my boys. I can't decide which one to get. I currently have an Advocate and a Frontier 85 SICT. Should I just get another Advocate, or is one of the others just as fine. I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey...airbags everywhere, except the back window...if that makes any differance. Thanks in advance for the advice!

ADS
How do your children fit in your current Advocate? Do they tend to be on the tall side or short side? What is their weight? Intend to RF or FF?

The SICT has no proven advantage, so any convertible, used properly, will be just as safe. I wouldn't stress over it, especially with all those airbags. I have 2 Boulevards that I adore, and the lack of SICT doesn't bother me in the least!

Have you looked at the Complete Air, Triumph or True Fit? They are great options and offer many wonderful features similar to the Britax, and some that Britax doesn't have :thumbsup:

msg221

I have had both, although my BLVD was the previous model (not the "Next Generation") but I also had a Marathon 70, and I preferred both over the Advocate, which just took up so much room. The Generation 3 models look exactly like the Next Generation models, and I can't recall what the difference is although I am positive something was posted on here about them.

I think you'd be fine with one of the other models, especially with the newer vehicle model you have.

msg221 said:
The Generation 3 models look exactly like the Next Generation models, and I can't recall what the difference is although I am positive something was posted on here about them.

I was at BRU yesterday playing with them as they had the G2's on Clarence right next to the G3's and the only differences I could see was the new HUGS chest pads which are permanently affixed to the shell via small straps which run along with the harness to keep the pads properly placed and they have also integrated SafeCell technology into the pads to add to their head safety kick. They looked quite cool. Also, there is a label on the VersaTether stating that it is, in fact, a VersaTether.. oh Britax. Only other difference is the Stay-Forward buckle (belly pad has been trimmed a bit to fit between the legs better and it has a rather stiff piece of plastic inside the pad facing the buckle so it stays forward).

newmommy929

How do your children fit in your current Advocate? Do they tend to be on the tall side or short side? What is their weight? Intend to RF or FF?

The SICT has no proven advantage, so any convertible, used properly, will be just as safe. I wouldn't stress over it, especially with all those airbags. I have 2 Boulevards that I adore, and the lack of SICT doesn't bother me in the least!

Have you looked at the Complete Air, Triumph or True Fit? They are great options and offer many wonderful features similar to the Britax, and some that Britax doesn't have :thumbsup:

What types of things were you talking about that those other models you listed had...that Britax didn't? I kinda wish now I wouldn't have gotten the Fr85 SICT...didn't realize how HUGE it is. I don't think I will ever be able to get 3 across in the 3rd row in my Odyssey since.the seat is so huge. Currently my 4yr old is in the Frontier in.the back by himself. Then my 2yo is in.the Advocate ERF in the bucket behind the passenger, and then my 9month old is jn the Chicco22 behind the driver. I do ERF...my kids are small. My 4yo (will be 5 Sept 29), is only 33lbs and maybe like 38inches. My 2yo (was 2 in April) is TINY. He is only like 22lbs at the most and maybe like 30-31 inches. My 9month old is "big" for my babies. He is probably 19lbs and only like 27inches or so. So ya, my kids are SHORT! ;) lol

Got a bit side tracked...sorry. We are wanting to have more kids, and if we just have 1 more...then 2 could go in the 3rd row and 2 in.the buckets. But if we end up having 2 more kiddos...we will never be able.to.get 3 back there, unless by then my oldest will be in a booster and then we may have room for 2 more seats.

As silly as this sounds, I might regret not getting another Advocate because then I would have one that was "the odd ball" without the extra SICT on it. Silly I know, but being. NICU nurse for.the last 8.5 years (I am also a CPST) has made me VERY type A personality. Does that all make sense or I am just a wierdo? Thanks for all the help!

Brianna

Is there any reason you're only considering those seats?

What is your boy's age and weight? What seat is he in now and how much room is above his head?

Brianna

If your children are smaller or have shorter torsos, then Britax seats would be fine as far as rear facing. They do offer less legroom than other seats and have shorter shells which allow for less time rear facing than seats you can buy at the same price or for less money.

I would recommend you look at Maxi Cosi Pria, Graco Size4Me70 or MyRide 65, Evenflo Triumph 65, Complete Air 65, First Years True Fit and Diono Radians as well.

Knowing your son's size would narrow the list. All car seats sold pass the same safety tests on a pass/fail basis- so we don't know that any single brand of seat is safer than another. We do know that rear facing as long as possible in a properly installed seat is the safest way for children to ride in a car.

chrislynn5

I don't have an odyssey but I do have a VW routan. We have 5 kids ages 5, 3, 2, & two 9 month olds. This being said, if you plan on have two more kids, having those huge advocates will not fit in the back seat. In our back seat, we have two radians and a parkway. And they fit VERY tight in there! No extra room to spare! We have boulevards on the two captain chairs in the middle row. You could possible fit two advocates in the middle row if you have captains chairs but it will be kinda tight for the kids to pass threw to the back row.

newmommy929

If your children are smaller or have shorter torsos, then Britax seats would be fine as far as rear facing. They do offer less legroom than other seats and have shorter shells which allow for less time rear facing than seats you can buy at the same price or for less money.

I would recommend you look at Maxi Cosi Pria, Graco Size4Me70 or MyRide 65, Evenflo Triumph 65, Complete Air 65, First Years True Fit and Diono Radians as well.

Knowing your son's size would narrow the list. All car seats sold pass the same safety tests on a pass/fail basis- so we don't know that any single brand of seat is safer than another. We do know that rear facing as long as possible in a properly installed seat is the safest way for children to ride in a car.

Well the seat will either be for my 2yo or my 9mo old. The 2yo is around 22lbs (at most) and about 30-31inches. The 9mo old is probably about 19lbs and 27inches or so. Does that help anymore? I am just almost scared to try a differant brand of seat, because I will be screwed if I don't like it. I know that I like the Britax seats...that is why I mentioned them. Does that make sense? Thanks for your help!

Hmm if you plan on having more kiddos then steer away from the Advocate for sure, and maybe Britaxes in general, as they will not make for easy 3-across situations.

The other seats I listed are less expensive, have equal or better leg room and have taller shells (for longer ERFing).

In your case, I would go for the Radian with the Angle Adjusters (for use after first birthday). They have a low-profile seating area for easy loading and last a considerable amount of time RF, and with how teensie you say your kiddies are I would say that they could RF very comfortably for a long time :)

Athena

Are there any stores around you where you can play with the seats or even try installing them in your car in the parking lot?

Last edited:
newmommy929 said:
Well the seat will either be for my 2yo or my 9mo old. The 2yo is around 22lbs (at most) and about 30-31inches. The 9mo old is probably about 19lbs and 27inches or so. Does that help anymore? I am just almost scared to try a differant brand of seat, because I will be screwed if I don't like it. I know that I like the Britax seats...that is why I mentioned them. Does that make sense? Thanks for your help!

Makes total sense! I've been there too, and it's something that has a lot of anxiety surrounding it for most folks because it's a child safety decision. Britax is a wonderful brand, and if it was 6 ish years ago, their safety technology would be on top of most others but over the last several years there have been great advances made by the other car seat manufacturers. I had been a Britax lady for years and years and refused any other company out of fear, but honestly I regret it. Evenflo, Graco, The First Years (Lamaze), Diono and countless others make some excellent seats, some that I would choose over my Briitaxes. They are JUST as safe :) I would go into a local store like BRU or Walmart and play around with the seats. Remember, if they don't feel like a Britax, with all the bells and whistles, that doesn't make them less safe at all. They just work a different way and have been designed that way on purpose. All seats pass the identical test(s), so you are not sacrificing safety by buying a different brand :)

Brianna

Evenflo, Graco, The First Years (Lamaze), Diono and countless others make some excellent seats, some that I would choose over my Briitaxes. They are JUST as safe :) I would go into a local store like BRU or Walmart and play around with the seats. Remember, if they don't feel like a Britax, with all the bells and whistles, that doesn't make them less safe at all. They just work a different way and have been designed that way on purpose. All seats pass the identical test(s), so you are not sacrificing safety by buying a different brand :)

:yeahthat: I actually just installed Britax seats for the first time yesterday- and while I liked how easy they were to install, I still love my Evenflo Triumph 65, and I'm still happy with the Graco Argos as well.

If you want a Britax and it will keep your kids RF long enough- go for it. Just know that if you need a 3-across down the road, you will most likely need to replace at least one of the Britax seats.

newmommy929

Well...I think I am just even more confused now on what seat to get. Because I don't think IBwill ever get 3 across in.the back.if I keep my oldest back there in the Fr85 SICT. If I would have just gotten.the regular Fr85...i may have been able.to put 3 across back there. But then.I also think that I can't necissarily do "what if" we have 2 more kids...because who knows if I will even be able.to.get pregnant with a 4th...let alone I probably wouldn't have a rf kiddo back.there cause it would be to hard to.get them.strapped in...make sense?

Brianna

Well if you do have another, you could get a more narrow booster for the oldest and put the Frontier in one of the captain's chairs, the Advocate in another captain's chair and have narrower seats for the 3rd row. If you think this may work out, or wouldn't want to have to replace another seat later I would stay away from the Advocate. Considering how small your kids are I would probably go with the Roundabout if you're going to stay with Britax. The Size4Me70 puzzles quite well with a good number of seats.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC