Question Britax Advocate G4 in Honda Civic

U

Unregistered

We are considering buying a Britax Advocate G4 (or G4.1--what is the difference?) for our 7-month-old. I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions about it:

Am I correct in understanding that Britax now offers an anti-rebound bar for this model and that it is an acceptable alternative to tethering for rear-facing? I can find info about this online but can't seem to find info about it on Britax's website.

Can anyone tells me whether this carseat would fit fine rear-facing in the middle seat of the backseat of a Honda Civic? I want to be sure that it fits in such a way that the front-seat driver and passenger do not have to have their seats too close to the front of the car, and also that there is enough room for left-to-right for passengers to ride on both sides of the carseat in the back seat.

Finally, when we went to the fire station to have our infant carseat installed, it was installed using seatbelts rather than LATCH, since our Civic has LATCH on each side but, as I understand it, not in the middle. Is this how the Britax Advocate would be installed as well in the middle seat--with the seatbelt rather than with LATCH?

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Am I correct in understanding that Britax now offers an anti-rebound bar for this model and that it is an acceptable alternative to tethering for rear-facing? I can find info about this online but can't seem to find info about it on Britax's website.

Correct. http://www.britaxusa.com/store/details/accessories/advocate/black-anti-rebound-bar

Can anyone tells me whether this carseat would fit fine rear-facing in the middle seat of the backseat of a Honda Civic? I want to be sure that it fits in such a way that the front-seat driver and passenger do not have to have their seats too close to the front of the car, and also that there is enough room for left-to-right for passengers to ride on both sides of the carseat in the back seat.

It should fit just fine for the front seat passengers. The width of the Advocate will be an issue later forward facing if you want people on either side. The Boulevard or Marathon or Pavilion would get you the same use and longevity, and install the same way, but be narrower for people on either side.

Finally, when we went to the fire station to have our infant carseat installed, it was installed using seatbelts rather than LATCH, since our Civic has LATCH on each side but, as I understand it, not in the middle. Is this how the Britax Advocate would be installed as well in the middle seat--with the seatbelt rather than with LATCH?

Did they teach you how to install your seat and have you do it before you left? That's what techs are supposed to do. But I commend them on actually knowing you can't use LATCH in the center of a Honda Civic. The far more common story is that firemen aren't techs or are but aren't aware and misinstall a seat.

Your Britax or any seat you ever get and install in the middle will be installed with the seatbelt. You don't have another option there.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you! Is there any advantage to tethering rather than using the anti-rebound bar, whether rear- or forward-facing?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, you can't use the antirebound bar forward facing. It doesn't do anything. The tether is used forward facing.

Rear facing there's no difference in the US. Whichever you would like, or none.

In Canada the tether must be used Australian style or the anti-rebound bar, but one or the other must be used.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you so much for the information. So when the time comes to change the seat to forward-facing, we will be able to tether in the middle back seat of a Civic?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC