Boostering under 40 pounds

dmpmercury

I not thinking about now but the future. My dd is 3.5 now and weighs 28 pounds and is on the small side height wise too for her age. She currectly rides rear facing and will do so for a while. Her boulevard expires in Spring of 2012 when she will be 5.5. I doubt she will be 40 pounds by then or even close. She gains slowly. Would you put a 5.5 year old in a booster if they could sit good if they were tiny or would you get a 5 point harness. Would she be at risk for submarining if she fit properly? I also hope I can get a booster to work in a 3 across. I will need to eventually anyway.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would cross that bridge when you come to it. My DS was the same asyour DD at 3.5. He was actually just outgrowing a 30# rfing roundabout at that point. He hit 33# (weight limit of the MA) at 4.5 and 40# right around 5.5.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I did. My dd is now 5 1/2 and just 2 weeks ago, I made the decision to put her in a booster full-time. She's only 38lbs (finally). I have a Nautilus but when #4 outgrew the SS1, he needed the Titan which meant either a new seat (which my hubby was NOT keen on) or move everyone up and put her in a booster. I've been very happy about her behavior in there, I was worried. The threat of "if you don't sit right, I'll buy you a Maestro that does NOT come in pink" was enough for her.

vermontmoms

At 5.5yrs our boys were 38lbs and outgrew their marathons in height but we were not comfortable putting them in a booster so we got 2 Regents. We have loved them; our Regents are only 1.5yrs old but our boys are outgrowing them quickly in height. If I had to do it again...I would buy the Regent in a heartbeat.

For your daughter, I would not fret or plan anything at this point...seats are changing so fast and by 2012 who knows what cool seats there will be on the market. But for me I would not even entertain the idea of a booster for a child as small as her...I would plan on getting a EH seat that converts to a booster. But that is just my :twocents: and my personal preference.

lpperry

My 5 1/2 year old recently outgrew her seat in my husband's car by height and she was only 36-37 pounds. I asked this same question, and the response I got was enough to make me feel comfortable boostering 5 1/2 year old in my husbands car. We really didn't want to spend the money on a Nautilus or the like.

She rides in the booster in dh's car and in Radian in my car.

Lily

This is an interesting discussion from my perspective. In my jurisdiction (province of British Columbia, Canada) it is a requirement to be in a harnessed seat until 40 lbs. I had not realized that it was possible to be just as safe in a booster before 40lbs. I guess it is a good law, though, at least for the most part, since some kids would reach 40 lbs at a very young age.

http://www.tsfbcaa.com/28.aspx

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Assuming proper fit and use, I would be okay with a 35ish# 5.5yo in a booster, but think that a narrow HWH seat like the Maestro would play nicer in a tight three-across.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I'm fine with my 5.5 year old (37lbs) in a booster. He's not in one full-time yet, just because I have a nautilus available, but he's in a booster 3-5 times a week.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC