Booster seat fit/fixed headrests

love-pink

What are the suggestions/rules regarding headrests that are fixed and HBB's? How much of a gap between the booster and vehicle seat is allowed?

Here is a picture of my back seat to show the headrests:
Pictureofthebackseat.jpg

Not a booster seat, but this shows what Im talking about as far as the gap:
47da82d9.jpg

f969156f.jpg

Ive called Britax to see what their rule is because the booster I would like is a PWSG. I emailed them the same pictures I posted but havent heard anything back yet.

The only hbb I have managed to get to fit is the Evenflo boosters because they have a curved back. My middle two fit fine in them now but if I even click the headrest up to the next notch it no longer sits flat against the seat. Its then pushed forward by the headrest and no longer flush with the vehicle seat.

Last edited:
ADS

luckyclov

In this thread Im hoping to hear what the rules/suggestions are regarding fixed headrests and hbbs in general :eek:
We've all heard it a million times - not all child seats are compatible with all vehicles (or seating positions within the same vehicle).

In order to fall under proper usage, you have to adhere to what the child seat manual directs. So if the manual requires the booster to be flush with the vehicle seat, then that's how it has to be. There are highback boosters on the market that do not require the back to be flush with the vehicle seat back.

So, my suggestion would be to find a compatible highback or use a backless (assuming the child is age/maturity appropriate, is properly trained, has adequate vehicle head support, and a good l/s belt fit).

I *can* tell you that when Britax says the "backrest" must be flat against the vehicle seat back, they mean the backrest - the section of the back that does not extend/adjust. It looks like your vehicle headrests may push the adjustable portion forward a little, though - and that's not OK. I'm guessing that's where you're getting your gap? The adjustable portion will not rest flat on pretty much any vehicle seat back because it sits about an inch deeper than the backrest.

love-pink

Would it be a "parental decision" type thing?? Like dorels inch limit on their convertibles?

What would be the down side of using a hbb in a spot where an inch or two is not completely flush with the vehicle seat?

What about families with similar backseats and children that are to big for a 5 point harness but still need the support of a hbb??

They are SOL?

creideamh

I thought I read somewhere that a whole slew of new cars are coming out with angled headrests for safety reasons? What will happen then? (I don't have this problem, at least not now, but I've wondered.)

luckyclov

I thought I read somewhere that a whole slew of new cars are coming out with angled headrests for safety reasons? What will happen then? (I don't have this problem, at least not now, but I've wondered.)
Lots of vehicles have angled head restraints now, but many are removable and/or adjustable, so child seat incompatibility is avoidable. The issue is more with angled *fixed* head restraints/rests.

creideamh

Lots of vehicles have angled head restraints now, but many are removable and/or adjustable, so child seat incompatibility is avoidable. The issue is more with angled *fixed* head restraints/rests.

Right... I only brought it up because we've rented quite a few new cars recently on trips and they've all had fixed angled headrests (so I figured that was going to be the new norm.) If not, that's good news... I'll just avoid buying a car with fixed ones ;)

BeautifulChaos

I'm not positive, as my manual is in the car, but I don't thing the Vivo requires that it be flush against the seat. I had a post about it when we bought it

love-pink

BeautifulChaos said:
I'm not positive, as my manual is in the car, but I don't thing the Vivo requires that it be flush against the seat. I had a post about it when we bought it

Maybe we should start a thread with seats that are compatible with angled headrests ;)

With more and more cars coming out with them it would be pretty handy.

love-pink

I just heard back from Britax :)

"I was able to get a reply from one of our instructors. She said that size gap would not be a safety issue. The only point she would want us to check with you is whether the headrest of the Frontier or the Parkway when adjusted to a higher height is forced forward by the vehicle head restraint. If so, that would be the moment that a safety issue would be occurring and we wouldn’t recommend use of the seat at that point. I hope this info helps."

Im also going to send them pictures of the PWSGs from the side when I get them. The pictures I sent were the ones I posted in my first post ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC