Booster safty, and teaching a child to latch self

spryngtree

Am I correct in assuming that a high back booster is only safe if the lap belt is sitting snugly across the child's upper thighs? Or can a lap belt that is left loose with significant slack still work?

I'm concerned today after having had my husband help my son into his booster twice today with what seems like two incorrect placements of the belt, but I don't want to get on his case if I'm being fussy for no reason.

The first time he just let my son leave the lap belt loose and slack (like slack enough for a whole other kid to fit in there.). The second time he had let the shoulder belt be routed over the armrest while the lap belt went underneath. I always make sure it's done exactly right, but am I just being hyper?

Also is there a good method of teaching a child (he's 7, has some developmental delays but is smart and very verbal) to do his own booster correctly? Like a little poem or anything like that so he can remember to check these things?

ADS

djma

No, the slack needs to be pulled out and the belt needs to be snug. The lap portion needs to be on the upper thighs/hip area.

Maybe on a day when the weather is nice and you have no where to go, you could spend some time in the car and let your son practice buckling. Also show him where the belt should fit and have him pull it tight. It will take some work, so have patience and be prepared to double check him always. :) My oldest is 9 and has to have some reminding about pulling the slack out.

Kat_Momof3

the slack must be pulled out and the belt routed correctly... just as it should be on an adult... I would have a talk with your husband about checking behind him and how important it is and see what his response is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC