Question Booster safety

hanners

My oldest is 8 years old. He is 65 pounds and 55 inches. We have him in an FR 85 in booster mode in our van and a Britax Parkway in the grandparents car. The problem is he is horrible about sitting properly. I have to constantly remind him. What can I do?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
At 8, unless there are special needs, I would impose consequences on a child who did not sit properly, just like I would for other reckless and inappropriate behavior. If there are special needs that prevent him from riding safely, we can explore options to reharness.

aeormsby

I would also make sure there are no comfort issues that are causing the movement. Maybe the seats aren't offering enough leg support anymore? a soft footrest could help that (as could switching the PW to a NBB but a little hesitant to try that right away) My DD is 8 also and a little smaller then your DS, the only times she really starts moving is when we're doing a long drive and I forgot to put something by her feet (she's also in a FR booster mode and a PW, but we switched her PW to NBB this spring and she's more comfortable without the back, we'd put it back on if doing a really long drive and I thought she might sleep).

henrietta

I have an almost 9 year old w/some special needs. That is more than old enough to understand how to sit properly. Does he have any issues that may make it difficult for him to sit still, like ADHD, Aspergers, low muscle tone or CP, etc? And I agree that maybe the seat is uncomfortable to him now, even if it wasn't before. We went on a long trip a few weeks ago, and I put in my oldest's Cybex booster so he could rest his head, which he doesn't usually ride in anymore. Half way through the trip, we're realizing his legs must have grown a few inches since the last time he rode in it, b/c he was miserable from lack of leg support. He rode the rest of the way in his backless booster. ;) In the Cybex, he was sliding down under the seatbelt, propping his legs up on the front seat, even though he had foot support on the floor, whining, etc.

Also, another thought...how often does he actually ride in the PW in grandma's car? It can take some practice to learn how to sit properly. Maybe you can put it in your car for a few weeks and teach him. It's a lot of responsibility on grandma for her to try to teach him or worry about him (and be distracted while driving). You can use the SG clip to help keep the lapbelt on properly and him from sliding down. Could be a good reminder for him for now.

hanners

Thanks for your replies. He has some sensory issues. Maybe I should talk to our OT to see if they have ideas as well.
I could try the PW backless and see if that helps. And put something under his feet.
Also- what about locking the seat belt each time. Is that safe to do?
He rides with the grandparents almost every day in some capacity. His Grandpa takes him to karate frequently.

Athena

Have you asked him? If there is a sensory issue, he can tell you, right? My DD with sensory issues loves the soft covers. Do you have the cowmoo on the FR85? HTH.

henrietta

Thanks for your replies. He has some sensory issues. Maybe I should talk to our OT to see if they have ideas as well.
I could try the PW backless and see if that helps. And put something under his feet.
Also- what about locking the seat belt each time. Is that safe to do?
He rides with the grandparents almost every day in some capacity. His Grandpa takes him to karate frequently.

I agree with another poster that suggested asking him, if you think he can explain to you what he likes or dislikes about a seat. For some kids with sensory issues, they like to feel "squeezed" or need deep pressure to be able to stay still. A more confining seat, possibly with a 5 point harness, may feel best to a child like that. For others, they need to not having things touching them so much, so a backless booster may feel much better. And then there's, of course, the covers..the padding...leg support or head wings that feel confining, etc. ;)

My son has decided that besides the leg issue of the other high back booster, he prefers the backless right now b/c it's very hot outside and he can't handle the heat. Not to mention his docs have instructed us to avoid placing him in situations that make him *more* hot. He otherwise is quite happy in the other high back boosters we have, just not the Cybex.

tiggercat

My neurotypical 8yo stinks at booster riding and is too heavy for any 5pt in my country. I just have to be really strict about moving out of position and what the concequences are. I have shown her crash test videos, explained what would happen (i.e if you slip your shoulder out from under the belt when riding in a backless, in a crash your head will fly forward and hit the vehicle seat/your knees/the floor). We generally manage ok but I have pulled off the road and sat (and maybe yelled a bit) until she was ready to sit properly for the remaining trip. I do keep her in a spot that I can glance back in the rearview occasionally and verify her positioning.

Interestingly enough, my now 13yo with autism/adhd/low muscle tone was an excellent booster rider from the age of 4. I cannot figure out why my girl child has so much trouble.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC