Booster not flush against the back seat = OK?

Cilia

Boosters are not my strong side, so a question:
We got DD1 a TB to use in DH's car. The back of the booster does not lay flat against the back of the seat due to the headrest (which cannot be removed). Is this a problem?

ADS

babyherder

I have the same problem in my car. The tb manual says that the booster seat back must be flush with the vehicle seat back. So now I only use the tb backless and use a vivo for kids that are younger and need and highback.

Cilia

Well, I think outboard is out. What do you say?
DSCN9011.jpg

Seen from the other side:
DSCN9010.jpg

But is the middle OK?
DSCN9009.jpg

DSCN9012.jpg

I do not know if you can see it, but it is against the seat back all the way up to the top of the back piece and then by the headrest in the middle position.

The pictures in the manual say that the seat has to look like the picture, it says: "The back of the booster MUST fit tight against the vehicle seat back as shown", but there is air from shoulders and up to head rest... So I am all confused.

babyherder

Hmmm. I'm out of town but I'm going back home later today and I'll look at my tb manual again to see their picture. I think that's what mine looked like and I decided not to use it. I use mine with babysitting kids so I try not to make any decisions like that for other people's kids. With your kids it's your call.

misstj9

That's similar to what mine looked like in DH's car (Jeep Patriot) that has built in headrests. Based on the manual saying something to the effect of it must be flush against the seat back, I decided against it. I ended up with and Evenflo HB Amp, which has a better curve in the back of it that works much better with the built in headrests. I can search for pictures if you're interested, but I would vote no on the Turbo in that position. HTH!

babyherder

I just looked at the tb manual online and after looking at their picture I'm confused too. I don't know. Ugh. I want to try mine in my car again when I get home.

Cilia

So if the TB is out what usually fits a skinny kid well? Is the Evenflo HB Amp a good choice? Or another one that does not cost an arm and a leg?

sirrahn

So if the TB is out what usually fits a skinny kid well? Is the Evenflo HB Amp a good choice? Or another one that does not cost an arm and a leg?

Can you raise that headrest enough to get it out of the way?

If not, yes, I would definitely try the HB Amp or Big Kid Sport (basically the same seat). The headrest design on that booster is much more vehicle headrest friendly and IME it gives good seatbelt fit as well. I've tried my 37lb almost 7 yr old in her sister's seat, and I'd have no problem with her riding in it at all. HTH!

Cilia

The TB went back and we picked up a Big Kid LX at FedEx today. The seat fits way better in the backseat and DD1 fits just as well in this seat as in the TB.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC