Question Booster limits

Jeni-GAcpst

I'm educating myself more on booster limits and thought this thread may benefit many readers.

I'm familiar with determining belt fit in a booster and the 5-step test for fitting without a booster in each vehicle.

Minimum weights really need to be followed due to the risk of submarining.

Maximum weights... I've seen some say they'd be willing to go over seeing as the booster will still act as a pelvis even if crash forces cause the booster to break under the child's weight.

Belt guides need to be above the shoulder. Head support from booster or vehicle headrest (or both depending on model) need to be at least up to the top of the child's ears.

So what about height range?
Is a 57" tween too tall for a backless booster with adequate vehicle head support?
I'd prefer to see tweens boostered until puberty to ensure hip support. But what about the top-of-the-charts 9yos? Are parkways and montereys the only option for talleys?

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I think you are right about the Parkway and Monterey being the only boosters right now that can be backless that are labelled for kids taller than 57 inches. When the Dorel Incognito comes out, then that would be a backless labelled to 59" but it has a 60 pound weight minimum. :)

I'm not sure about the practicality of a having a super tall tween in a highback booster, but the Recaro boosters also go past 57 inches. It looks like the Vivo goes to 59" and the ProBooster goes to 61" (I'm not sure how a roughly 5' tall kiddo would fit in those boosters in terms of shoulder height, but according the Carseat Measurement Database, they at least go beyond 57"). The ProSport in booster mode also goes to 59" and the various Frontier models go to between 60" and 65" but I don't know how torsos would work with those, either.

mommyfrog

I think you are right about the Parkway and Monterey being the only boosters right now that can be backless that are labelled for kids taller than 57 inches. When the Dorel Incognito comes out, then that would be a backless labelled to 59" but it has a 60 pound weight minimum. :)

I'm not sure about the practicality of a having a super tall tween in a highback booster, but the Recaro boosters also go past 57 inches. It looks like the Vivo goes to 59" and the ProBooster goes to 61" (I'm not sure how a roughly 5' tall kiddo would fit in those boosters in terms of shoulder height, but according the Carseat Measurement Database, they at least go beyond 57"). The ProSport in booster mode also goes to 59" and the various Frontier models go to between 60" and 65" but I don't know how torsos would work with those, either.

The Frontier 80 adjusts taller than the Monterey. My dd tried it out when she was about 5' and fit great with a little growing room. She didn't fit in the Monterey. I'm not sure about the other Frontier models.

tiggercat

I just don't measure my kids very often. I also think standing height limits are silly. I won't go against them on purpose, but I have no idea how tall my 8yo is, she fits in her parkway nicely, so continue on.

(I do follow RF height limits)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC