Booster Law Questions....

Chila88

Here in SK our archaic law says that kids must ride in a carseat until they are 40lbs. That's it. No booster law.

So, according to this, someone could technically take their 40lb 2year old and put them in a booster, correct?

Except the loophole is proper use laws, right? No boosters sold in Canada, according to the manufacturer, can be used for a child under 40lbs AND 4 years old.

Do I have all of this correct? So really booster minimum in SK is 4 and 40 because there are no boosters sold in Canada that a 40lb 2 year old could legally ride in?

ADS

Chila88

If there's no booster law, doesn't that mean that a child over 40lbs can just sit in a seatbelt?

Yup, sure does :thumbsdown: but what I have here is someone putting their child in a booster at a really young age because they are over 40lbs so technically its legal. Causes some maturity issues for a child that young to not be harnessed IMO so I was hoping I could come from a proper use standpoint when talking to them

bubbaray

Can you confirm which Cdn boosters say minimum age 4? I recall only H/W. I am looking the online PW manual and cannot find an age reference.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
There's no requirement to put an age on a booster. Some do, some say "around age 4" and some (Dorel? Cosco high back maybe? or Evenflo?) only say age 1.

The only proper use part of a booster is the 40lbs. Now does it say anything in the SK seat belt laws about 'properly positioning the seat belt' and 'wearing it properly at all times?' You could go at it from that perspective. If a person won't listen to the safety concerns maybe the law is all they'll hear. Ugh. Poor baby.

smackeen

I thought I saw a few that stated 4 years old. I want to say at least I few I looked at at Walmart did.

Will have to look when I am in next.

Also, that is a horrible law.

ETA: Read the above wrong stating there is NO REQUIREMENT to add age. Read it as seats do not have an age listed.

Chila88

I own a GN, PW, TB, Apramo and Harmony and do not recall an age listed in any of those.

I can't confirm any that have a 4 year minimum....I thought that, but knew I could be wrong, and is why I need all you lovely people's input! ;)

I thought the Cdn TB had a 4 year minimum and the US one said it could be used from age 3 ( I remember reading threads about everyone being so upset by this). So does ours have a 3 year minimum too? Or does it just leave out an age altogether?

This is so confusing. Argh. And depressing that these people are technically doing not a darn thing wrong! (legally, that is) :thumbsdown:

Chila88

I've been reading this handy dandy chart:

http://www.safekidscanada.ca/professionals/advocacy/documents/26794-boosterseatlegislationchart.pdf

So, none of the provinces state that a child must stay in a seat until 4 years old. SO really, this family could be doing this legally in just about any province. I'm shocked! Where did '4 and 40' come from? Did I just imagine that? Or is that what was taught in our course? (I'm away from home and can't check my binder). Thanks goodness most of the people I know keep their kids harnessed until 4 years old.

And MB says kids must ride in a carseat until 5 and 50lbs. Does this mean harnessed until then? If so, way to go MB! Or does carseat include a booster? Makes me want to move to MB (for the first time ever :duck:)

I'm kidding.....:p

Chila88

I had just checked my HBTB too....4-10 years. 40 - 100lbs. So there is at least one 4 and 40....I'm not losing my mind! :eek:

ETA: I also looked at Evenflo's website, and while not a Cdn site, even their US version of the Big Kid has a 4 year minimum. (30lbs mind you)

birdflippin'

*snip*

And MB says kids must ride in a carseat until 5 and 50lbs. Does this mean harnessed until then? If so, way to go MB! Or does carseat include a booster? Makes me want to move to MB (for the first time ever :duck:)

I'm kidding.....:p

MB isn't that bad, lol.

Last May a new booster law was passed in MB.
The new legislation and regulations will require children to ride in a booster seat until they are a minimum of four feet, nine inches (145 centimetres) tall, 80 pounds (36 kilograms), or nine years old

From http://www.safekidscanada.ca/Professionals/Newsroom/News/Booster-seat-legislation.aspx

canadiangie

I bet AB will be last to get a booster law, if it happens at all. We're just too rightwing here. SK, on the other hand seems to be a little more open to 'the greater good' argument side of things.

In the meantime, booster use in AB is surprisingly decent through about age 5. After that things get patchy, and by age 7 there are very few kids using anything but a seatbelt.

Sad, sad state of affairs in what I think is an otherwise fantastic province. I'm an AB girl through and through, but our lack of a booster law is rather embarrassing at this point.

Is the MB booster law actually law already?? Everyone I've talked to (including my SJA tech course instructor in October) said that it hasn't been made official yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC