Booster in Accident

Kimberly

Just wondering if anyone has any experience being in a car accident and having their booster covered? A friend was in an accident, without the kids thankfully, and her car seat is being covered, but not the booster. Is this common practice or would it just be her own insurance coverage? She didn't think to question it at the time, but now that she has had a few days to think about it, she is wondering!

ADS

brymommy

I had our booster covered. Neither the booster nor car seat was in use at the time and I didn't have receipts for either. I can't remember who my private insurer was but ICBC told me if I had an problems to tell them an they'd fight it for me.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow, that's backwards--considering the energy ICBC expends trying to avoid paying to replace seats, especially boosters!

I had five or six seats, well over $1000, including two boosters (both Clek) when my husband was t-boned. We replaced each and every seat, despite my near 100% confidence that the boosters were just fine. Even if insurance had refused, I wouldn't have used the seats. It's just not worth having that nagging voice there.

-Nicole.

brymommy

I thought it was strange too considering how much to the opposite I had heard.

However the ICBC adjuster gave us his name and number specifically if we were to run into any problems.

And while our private insurer wasn't impressed we didn't have receipts she didn't blink an eye at either the car seat nor booster claim. And I got their full price in claim, no adjustments (which I was expecting) either.

Kimberly

Thanks for the replies! She called the insurance agent again and tried to convince them to cover the booster, but no such luck. She will replace it anyway, but is admittedly a little sour that they will cover the car seat and not the booster. The agent said that the only reason (to his knowledge) that they replace the car seats is because there may be an issue with the straps being weakened in a crash, and because a booster doesn't have straps...it doesn't need to be replaced. She attempted to explain that the shell is just as important in a crash, but didn't get anywhere with him.

I suggested she contact S.E.A.T.S which is based out of Ottawa, maybe someone there can suggest information that she can pass along to the agent. Either way, she is replacing it, but would just be nice if they would cover it!

LittlePeanut

What brand is the booster? It very well may say right in the manual that it is to be replaced if it's involved in a collision. I'm fairly certain that all Graco seats say something like that.

Kimberly

I think it was Graco and right after I posted I thought of that and called her. She is going to check the manual or call customer service for that seat and check that way too. Thanks!!

selinajean

Once she has the needed info from Graco, have her demand either compensation from the insurance company for the booster or an official letter from the insurance agency stating that they refuse to pay for a replacement as the seat is safe to use and further, that they accept full liability for the safety of any child using that booster in the future. I have heard of people having to do that before and it sounds like it lights a fire under the insurance company's butt.

QuassEE

She can also request a letter from the insurance company with their assurance that the booster is completely fine to use and that they accept full liability for any future injuries as a result of the booster's failure if they are in error.

-N.

snowbird25ca

I'd also have her point out - if it was buckled in while empty, that there was still stress put on the booster on the belt guides, and the belt guides are what are going to be responsible for maintaining the position of the lapbelt in a collision if a child is in the seat.

If it wasn't buckled in, then it likely flew off the vehicle seat, and it's possible she may be able to find damage in the form of cracked eps foam or something depending on the speed of the collision.

Kimberly

Thanks! I keep passing more info onto her everytime someone posts :) I will let you know if she has any luck this time! Thanks!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC