Booster for really big kid

mommyandkai

Hello,

My son is 10 years old. He is 5'3 and 125 pounds. I had him in his Britax Frontier until last year when he outgrew it. We drive a 12 passenger van and there are no headrests. I have read how a member here retrofitted some. It is way outside of the realm of what I could do. My son was comfortable in one seat in the van, but I moved him because our triplets were fighting too much. The spot he is in now has the seat belt too close to his neck. The small guide piece that is suppose to lower it a bit that is built into the Chevy Express is broken. Is there any way to lower the seat best with some sort of positioner? Is there a high back booster for big kids? I have called welders to try to find someone to retrofit a headrest to no avail. I do not feel safe without a headrest and with his belt too close to his neck. Any ideas? Thanks, Kari

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi,

Did he outgrow the Frontier in booster mode? If so can you tell us which Frontier it was (80/original, 85, 90/ClickTight?) there aren't many, if any, boosters taller than the original frontier, unfortunately... And if he needs a high back due to lack of head restraint there isn't really another safe solution. (While not ideal, if the belt is a bit too close to his neck but otherwise fit is good, that's not a huge safety concern if he can stay seated properly despite the rubbing.)

Keeanh

You can get more of those shoulder belt clips, either from GM or possibly from eBay.

I'm the one with the retrofitted headrests. How exactly are you approaching people about the headrests? And who are you asking? You need to be creative and do a lot of he work yourself. If you are phoning up autobody shops and saying "can you put headrests in my van?" they're going to say no. You have to find a competent welder, so could be in metal fabrication or any number of businesses unrelated to cars. Post on your Facebook. I'm sure you have a friend who knows someone. Then you have to take the benches apart yourself. Make it clear that ALL you need them to do is cut the welds on the scrap seats and copy them onto your seat.

mommyandkai

I am so thankful that you posted how you did the headrests. It looks super complicated and time consuming. Did you find that to be the case? Did you have a welder come to you? How hard was it to remove the seat covers? I have tried to find alternate seats and see if they could be attached to the original frame or some sort of aftermarket seats to no avail. We only need 5-6 seats in the back of our van so I thought there would be other options, but I couldn't find any. Do you know of other options? I will try asking on facebook. I will look on craigslist for a welder too.

Thanks!

mommyandkai

It is a Frontier 85. We took it out because his shoulders are so wide and he was uncomfortable, but that lack of a headrest is so concerning to me. I just had him sit in it and he appears a bit squished, but at least there is a head rest. He is 5'3 tall and he just weighed himself and he is 145. I think those are outside of the limits. Where is the danger in using a seat that is outside the parameters?

Thanks,
Kari

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
As a booster there really isn't much danger in going over stated limits. Limits are mandated by law and based on biometrics. However the belt guides must be at or above the shoulders due to risk of spinal compression. Did you remove the screw so it goes taller?

Keeanh

I am so thankful that you posted how you did the headrests. It looks super complicated and time consuming. Did you find that to be the case? Did you have a welder come to you? How hard was it to remove the seat covers? I have tried to find alternate seats and see if they could be attached to the original frame or some sort of aftermarket seats to no avail. We only need 5-6 seats in the back of our van so I thought there would be other options, but I couldn't find any. Do you know of other options? I will try asking on facebook. I will look on craigslist for a welder too.

Thanks!

No, putting in other seats wouldn't be safe.

It's not really a big deal to add headrests. I added a lot of picky details, but the basic process is simple. The hardest part is hauling the bench seats out of the vehicles LOL. Those Caravan seats are HEAVY. The seat covers are pretty easy, as long as it isn't crazy cold out. The covers are held on with a plastic seam at the bottom of the seatback. I cracked one trying to pry it apart in the winter.

You should take the seats out for someone to work on them.

U

Unregistered

Thanks guys. the van is a 2008. I washed up his old frontier and I will put it in the van tomorrow. I will see if he can handle the comfort. He is a really tall kid with wide shoulders. That lack of a headrest is tough. I have no idea why they don't add them. I will try to find a welder and work on the van this Summer when it isn't chilly and see if I can get the headrests added. You are right about those seats, they are super heavy. Thanks so much!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC