Booster for 5 year old rec?

VitaWright

My son is 5, 40" tall, and 40lbs. He is currently harnessed in a Graco Nautilus, which I love btw. I just need a back up seat. I wonder if this would be a good opportunity to get a regular booster and train him on short trips? He is small though so not sure if that is a good idea. Also, we live in Florida so there are no laws to the contrary. He is in kindergarten and I'm willing to bet he is the only child in any sort of car seat.

ADS

FireMoo169

I would say short trip training is a good start to booster readiness. His maturity level is a big part of whether or not he is ready for the step right now. Can you trust him not to unbuckle himself? Does he know what could happen if he isn't sitting still and staying in the right place? If you do start training I would recommend a high back booster off of the IIHS Best Bet list. But keep the Nautilus in the main vehicle (in harness mode) and use that whenever driving on the highway or taking longer trips.

When selecting one it my be a good idea to get one that also turns into a no back booster for longevity and has Best Bet ratings in both categories such as the Evenflo RightFit, Graco AFFIX or Graco Turbo Booster, Harmony Dreamtime or Harmony V6.
The Graco AFFIX has a nice feature for booster training, it uses the LATCH system in your vehicle to hold the booster in place when not occupied and makes it sturdier and easier for the new booster rider to climb in.

We are currently using a Harmony Dreamtime when a cousin occasionally rides with us. She is 5 and 45 pounds and still harnessed in her main vehicle. It was a cheaper option for us for the few times we have to use it. We like it just fine but beware if your kiddo doesn't have long legs it will be hard to keep him from slouching to bend his knees over the end since it has a very deep seat, which for some people is needed.

And even in Wisconsin, where it is illegal to Booster until after 4 years AND 40 pounds, we still see 30 pound kindergarteners in Graco Highback boosters because Graco says its OK! On the other side of the law, there are also 3 year olds in boosters because of the 30 pound manufacturer lower limits, which is even scarier to me!

jujumum

My favorite booster for this size is the Graco Turbo, particularly the Safety Surround, or better yet the Safety Surround Affix (currently only at BuyBuyBaby). Graco is offering a $25 rebate right now on seats over $99. :)

VitaWright

Thanks for your answers. Good recommendations. In Florida he can basically just be in a seatbelt at age five which is ridiculous. My son is mature and would never unbuckle during ther ride so that's no problem. He freaks out when I turn on the car and he is still buckling his harness. I might give it a try. It'd be nice to have something semi easy for the grandparents and when he goes with my husband we generally just switch cars.

jess71903

Ambassador
Great question! Sounds like he's a perfect candidate for some booster training. I agree with the Turbo suggestion. It's what DS has in my mom's car. I have a Recaro Performance Booster, which I and DS both love for its comfy-ness. It doesn't become backless, but he has a little sister 2.5 years behind him that will be ready for it when he outgrows it. Other recs: Britax Parkway and Evenflo Big Kid Amp, depending on what you want in one. We used the Nauti as a main booster until we got the PB and it worked out well for us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC