Question booster advice for tiny 5yo, and tiny 2-door car

maebyn

Hi-

My 5yo son is only 39.5" and 33lbs (4% for height and weight).

We have a VW GTI, 2 door, and are currently using a TrueFit. It is becoming a royal pain to get him in and out of it, since the seat is so "deep" on the TrueFit.

He is also getting a little too tall (IMO, head 1 inch over the top) for our Britax Roundabout in our Honda CRV. I would like to move the TrueFit into the CRV and get a booster for the 2-door GTI.

Can anyone recommend a low-profile booster that would be easy for him to climb into (and not "sink" into, like the True Fit). I would prefer a 5-point harness, since he is still little, but with an option for a 3 point belt in the future. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options, and not sure what is best for a tiny, but mature kid.

Thanks!

Marianne

ADS

Kegracin

Since he is so small maybe you want to look at a Meastro, its down fall is that it does not make a good booster but it does work well in tight spots. I have one in my FIL's extended cab truck. Maybe the SecureKid 300 might also work thats going to make a better booster because the head rest moves up and down.

maebyn

Thanks much. Someone suggested a Radian RXT or similar. Those look very much like a booster seat, in terms of size. Is there much difference, other than no option for a regular seat belt later?

Mercuria

In case you're looking to tether in the center, is there somewhere you can try before you buy? Someone recently went on a huge hunt for a combination seat because the weird center tether anchor (the one above the pass through) doesn't play well with many tethers.

If it's going outboard, or doesn't need to be tethered, then carry on :)

Mercuria

Radians can be used as boosters, but they tend to be bad ones because the belt guides can't be adjusted. Additionally, if you choose the RXT, the head wings apparently get in the way of the child's shoulders before they would otherwise outgrow the seat.

Suzibeck

I recently got my petite almost 5 yo an Evenflo SecureKid 400. It looks like it will make a decent booster when we are ready for that. For me, the 400 is great because we move it a lot and it is super easy to install, I would recommend the 300 for a seat that won't be moved a lot. The harness does tend to cut into her neck a bit, it is better though since I moved the harness up from right at to above her shoulders. I do wish Evenflo had strap covers available for it. The Graco Nautilus is another great option. The Diono Radian might be a possibility, I have not seen it as a booster so I don't know how well it works for that. I like the narrowness of the Radian because I have 4 kids and need to do 3 across sometimes. Mine is an older one though and doesn't have booster capabilities.

Eta: slow typing, looks like Radian isn't a good option.

jujumum

The Maestro works very well in tiny cars. It is affordable enough to just purchase a Graco Turbobooster later on.

rachelandtyke

Radians can be used as boosters, but they tend to be bad ones because the belt guides can't be adjusted. Additionally, if you choose the RXT, the head wings apparently get in the way of the child's shoulders before they would otherwise outgrow the seat.

Also, the Radian can't be used as a booster until the child weighs 50 lbs, which in your case I imagine your DS will be booster ready well before he hits 50 lbs!

If it were me, I would probably get a Maestro for now and then a dedicated high back booster for when he outgrows the Maestro that way you don't have to be too concerned about how the seat might fit as a booster later. The Graco High Back Turbobooster tends to fit small kids really well and goes on sale at Target quite a bit.

maebyn

Radians can be used as boosters, but they tend to be bad ones because the belt guides can't be adjusted.

Can the Maestro be adjusted? I can't get to the instruction manual (404 not found).

EDIT: Found the manual. It looks like the shoulder guide is part of the headrest, and that the headrest can be adjusted - but the manual doesn't actually show how to move it up and down. I just want to check that this is how it works before I buy it. Though I admit I prefer the design and "solidity" of the Radian R100. Any other advice?

creideamh

The Maestro belt guide is built into the shell, not the headrest, so it does not adjust (and the headrest is fixed.) The SecureKids have movable headrests with the belt guides built into the headrests, so the booster lasts longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

maebyn

Thanks very much. I am looking at the Maestro "demo" on the Target website and it says the following, which is a little misleading (implies that things are adjustable): "2. Auto-Adjust Belt Path RightFit belt path technology, the first of its kind. This booster car seat includes an innovative headrest design that allows the vehicle belt to auto-adjust to your child’s height while in booster mode for a proper fit over the hips and chest. This means an accurate and snug fit for your growing child that provides optimal safety."

I like the size of this seat, but I am also reading reviews about the buckle sticking. I really want something that is easy to get in and out of, or easy for my son to buckle himself. I will take a look at the SecureKid...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC