Better than the PetBuckle (review/comparison)

ADS

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
Oh I wish I could convince my parents to buckle their dog up. I've tried multiple times and they simply refuse because "he wouldn't like it, he likes to walk around the car and that would be cruel". This does look much more comfortable than the pet buckle though.

msg221

I finally got to use mine for my dog Winnie, when I took her to the groomers a couple of weeks ago. She didn't mind it at all. I was running late though, so I didn't think to get a picture!

The Bergan works great in the cargo area too, if you've got the latch anchor on the back of the seat.

This is exactly what I did!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I missed this review when it was first posted! I have a PetBuckle and a Ruff Rider (mine is an older style). I hadn't heard of the Bergen before.

I definitely like how the Bergen fits in the pictures, and I would hesitate to use LATCH for a dog that weighs more than about half the listed vehicle limit, and I wouldn't use a TA at all (unless it's a vehicle where the TA doubles as a cargo anchor).

One of the things that prompted me to get a buckle for my dog was an article I read in (probably) Dog World or (maybe) Dog Fancy magazine. It cited a study that found that kennels shattered in crash tests, sending shards flying. A kennel might be a good option for the cargo area of a truck, but probably not for the passenger area of a vehicle. Of course there are other considerations. A dog who chews on straps may be "incompatible" with a pet harness, and having a dog just plain lose in the vehicle could significantly increase the risk of crashing, so you have to balance the pros of having your dog restrained vs the cons of any risks from the method of restraint.

lovinwaves

I am looking for a buckle for my 7 lb dachshund to ride in the front seat beside me or in the second row middle seat. Any ideas?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Ruff Rider customer service is great. My friend went with the Roadie for her Newfie pup back in 2003, because they had an exchange program if your puppy outgrew their harness.

I haven't contacted the other two companies, but if you have doubts, you should! They should be able to help you pick the right size and answer any installation questions you have.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC