best way to store seats

aring7279

What is the best way/location to store car seats long term? My twins graduated from their Keyfit's to convertible seats. I am keeping the carriers for future children but was unsure how and where to store them for a few years. Thanks!

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I keep mine in the garage. I don't like putting them in the attic, because mine gets super hot.

Angela

We have ours in our basement, wrapped up in garbage bags. I wouldn't normally suggest this though because some basements can get musty and you don't want mildew or mold growing on your seats. Our basement is pretty dry and I use our seats so often that they wouldn't have a chance to get mold or mildew on them. :)

aring7279

Currently ours are wrapped in garbage bags and put back in their boxes in the basement. They will be down there probably 2 years. Would they be better in a garage? I was worried about the extreme heat/cold (we are in the Chicago area)

We have ours in our basement, wrapped up in garbage bags. I wouldn't normally suggest this though because some basements can get musty and you don't want mildew or mold growing on your seats. Our basement is pretty dry and I use our seats so often that they wouldn't have a chance to get mold or mildew on them. :)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I keep mine either in my closet, or in the basement at work. Sometimes the garage. Both the basement and garage are temperate and dry, and no seats sit for long, though. Anything long-term I store in my closet.

Not sure how old your twins are, but I just wanted to find out if you knew about extended rearfacing? When graduating from an infant seat to a convertible, we highly recommend keeping children rearfacing to the upper limits of their convertible seats, well past the one year and 20lb minimum. Kids under age two are up to 5x safer remaining RFing, and the benefits continue until age 4-6. :)

Check out this video, if you're not already familiar with the ERF concept:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPx6VddB8y0"]YouTube- Safest Rear Facing![/ame]

all together ooky

I had them all in the garage, but I think a mouse chewed on the harness of my True Fit (otherwise I have no idea how it got the fray) so I moved everything to the basement.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I also keep mine in the garage, because I've had two seats get mildewy in the basement. (Fortunately, they were two old seats that I'd never have used again anyway.) We live in Michigan, so weather similar to your area, and I'm not at all concerned about temperature issues. If the seats were in use instead of being stored, they'd be subject to the same temperature changes, right?

Anyway, I doubt that you have enough seats (yet ;)) to need quite this much shelving, but I have a unit that I keep all my not-in-use seats on. It keeps them off the ground enough that I don't worry much about mice, damage if water should get in the garage, etc.

DSC02652-1.jpg

aring7279

Oh yea, we are ERF! Darren installed 2 Radian xtsl's for us ! :)Thanks

I keep mine either in my closet, or in the basement at work. Sometimes the garage. Both the basement and garage are temperate and dry, and no seats sit for long, though. Anything long-term I store in my closet.

Not sure how old your twins are, but I just wanted to find out if you knew about extended rearfacing? When graduating from an infant seat to a convertible, we highly recommend keeping children rearfacing to the upper limits of their convertible seats, well past the one year and 20lb minimum. Kids under age two are up to 5x safer remaining RFing, and the benefits continue until age 4-6. :)

Check out this video, if you're not already familiar with the ERF concept:

YouTube- Safest Rear Facing!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC