Question Best smaller SUV for 3 across?

teekadog

My folks need to replace their 1998 CRV. I loved that car UNTIL I had to install my kids' carseats in it. Ugh. So I'm very anxious that they get a vehicle that will be easier to install carseats in. Particularly 2 latched boosters and 1 forward-facing seat in a 3 across combo. My mother insists on an SUV because she likes to sit up high and my father refuses to look at things with 3 rows because they are too big. What would you suggest I suggest to them? Thank you!

ADS

cantabdad

The CR-V was redesigned for 2012 and is much better for carseats. I would definitely not count it out. The newer Subaru Foresters and Outbacks can also do a 3-across, although it is tight.

Those are the small SUVs that I'm most familiar with, but of course there are a zillion others. From other discussions on this forum, my understanding is that the Toyota RAV4 still has belt overlap issues and that the middle seat of the Mazda CX-5 is so narrow as to be almost unusable. Someone also just mentioned difficulty in fitting a rearfacing seat in the newest Ford Escape. I haven't heard anything one way or the other on the Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sportage, Nissan Rogue, or any of the various GM products.

teekadog

Thank you for your reply! I have recommended they look into Subarus. They are still leaning towards CRV.

I've asked them not to look at the RAV or CX5 because of car seat issues. They really want to look at the Rogue but from pictures online it looks to me not 3 across friendly. I suppose there is the 3rd row...

They did not like the Sportage at all.

They are on the fence about looking at a Mitsubishi Outlander. Several family members had fantastic Mitsubishis years ago and it gets great safety reviews. But they are concerned that the company is no longer a large part of the US market.

cantabdad

The Outlander and Outlander Sport did very well in IIHS testing ("Good" ratings on everything including the challenging frontal small-offset test) but strangely only received a 4-star overall rating from NHTSA, including 4 stars for frontal and for side crashes. I would still regard it as a safe vehicle, but it's an interesting discrepancy. My main concern about Mitsubishi, as you mentioned, is their limited dealer network and possibility that they may abandon the US market.

When I wrote earlier, I'd forgotten that in the past I have actually done 3-across in a Rogue, but this was with 2 carseats and an adult.... hard to say how that matches up with your 2 boosters and a carseat. I think the overall backseat space that you have to work with in the Rogue is very similar to the CR-V or the Forester. The 3rd row option is totally new for the Rogue (I think) and is an intriguing option. It's the kind of thing I'd want to see & play with in person.

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Subaru SV Crosstrek is nice. It's a crossover but has the same ground clearance as the Forester of 8.7" compared to CR-V of 6.7", RAV-4 of 6.3" and Rogue of 8.3". Back seat room is similar to the Forester. It also has amazing visibility.

teekadog

Thanks, I hadn't heard of that Subaru before. It will be hard to convince them to look at Subarus because my dad thinks they are too expensive and my mom thinks they are too low- and therefore not as safe because you don't have such a commanding view of the road :rolleyes:. People are funny. I think I will try my hardest to make them go to Honda, Nissan, and Subaru dealers and look at everything on the lot so they can really peruse their choices. Hopefully that will encourage them to look at even more. I have to keep reminding them that I had to twist their arm 15 years ago to make them test drive their now-beloved CRV (they were all set to buy a Geo Tracker!).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Crosstrek has received all the top ratings in the IIHS crash tests, even the new small overlap test which many new cars aren't doing well in. It's also in a weight class that makes it safer than lighter weight vehicles of similar size.

The 2014 Forester and Outbook are available with the EyeSight collision detection system which is apparently supposed to be one of the best systems out there of that type.

Not that there aren't other good, safe vehicles out there! I just think they'd be doing themselves a disservice to not at least take a look at the Subarus.

I'd personally exclude the Rogue because it only received acceptable on the IIHS roof strength test and marginal on the small overlap test.

teekadog

Re: Nissan Rogue: My dad's favorite magazine reviewed it positively and he's intrigued. My mom's excited about an extra row for transporting my kids without having to do a 3x. I'm trying to get it across to her that I'd feel better if they were 3x in a subaru, etc.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I just realized it's the 2013 Rogue that got the crash results that I am not pleased with. The 2014 hasn't been tested. I'm not sure if Nissan made changes to the body for 2014? So it will either perform the same in crash tests or unknown. ;)

The thing I will say about third rows in small and even mid size SUVs is that I don't believe they were ever intended for regular, permanent use. My opinion is they are to throw some extra teenagers or older kids that fit without boosters in when you've got some extra people to haul out to a ball game, birthday party, etc. (car seats in these instances too but not to have them installed permanently). I don't know how often your parents drive your kids though.

teekadog

I drive my 4 kids around in a mazda5 so I'm obviously ok with 3rd rows. The distinction I have an opinion on is dedicated 3rd rows vs. afterthoughts. The Mazda5 was obviously designed for 3 rows. The outlander was not so even after adding a 3rd row they didn't add airbags for the 3rd row. The rogue has an afterthought 3rd row vs. the obviously intentional one of say the pathfinder.

canadiangie

I drive my 4 kids around in a mazda5 so I'm obviously ok with 3rd rows. The distinction I have an opinion on is dedicated 3rd rows vs. afterthoughts. The Mazda5 was obviously designed for 3 rows. The outlander was not so even after adding a 3rd row they didn't add airbags for the 3rd row. The rogue has an afterthought 3rd row vs. the obviously intentional one of say the pathfinder.

2014 Rogue is a complete overhaul. The 3rd row doesn't seem to be an afterthought, based on what I just read.

Having said that, I opted for a 2nd row bench for my three girls so that I don't have to use my 3rd row unless I want/need to. I far prefer them riding in the 2nd row.

Going back to the 14 Rogue, and quick google of the backseat showed some buckle stalks in the 2nd row that are forward of the bight, with some nasty looking hinges in the 2nd row middle seating position. Definitely want to take your (general your) seats down to Nissan and give it a go before buying.

teekadog

Thanks for the info! My dad has gone down to the nissan dealer. They had no more 13s left and don't expect the 14s for a few more weeks. He said the murano and pathfinder were too big and more than they want to spend.

Mags462

IDK about the newest body style of Ford Escape, but i regularly get 3 across (2 harnesses and a booster) in my MIL 2011 Ford Escape. No overlap issues and belts are easily gotten to.

I'm not really a Ford person per say, but my MIL loves her, she got rid of her Rav4 for this and couldn't be happier. :)

teekadog

Thanks for the personal experience! My cousin has one and loves it but she is not as... carseat-obsessed for her kids as I am so I knew I couldn't ask her about installs :spit: I will have my folks check it out but warn them not be involved in a small overlap front crash- yikes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC