Best kind of vehicle for a 2-kid family?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What kind of vehicle would you recommend for a 2-kid family?

We have a 4-yr old Impreza hatchback,which we love, and a 16-yr old Honda Accord. We're going to replace the Accord eventually, but not sure with what.

I always liked hatchbacks over sedans, but now that I understand the dangers of projectiles better, I am more and more impressed by sedans. Is one better than the other for vacations and other kid outings?

Because we're only planning on 2 kids, any regular 5-passenger vehicle seems fine, but do we need a bigger vehicle in order to accommodate our kids' friends? Even though I came from a 2-kid family, we always had a minivan, so I'm unfamiliar with what it's like to grow up without a car that can accommodate additional people outside the nuclear family. What do modern parents with kids in safety seats do about sleepovers and carpooling?

ADS

MotoMommaNH

We have a 17 year old Accord and a 4 year old Accord. While the trunk is great for containing items, I find it a huge pain to load anything of significant size in the trunk. The size of the trunk itself means nothing when the actual opening is oddly shaped compared to the item you are trying to put in it. For example, I bought a Nauti and couldn't fit the darn box in my trunk. I had to put it in the front seat and belt it in. (No one else in the car with me).

Number two will arrive soon, and we plan on purchasing either a new Outback or Forester to replace the older vehicle by the time I go back to work. I think projectiles in a wagon are only an issue when they are stacked precariously, not secured down, and above the rear seat back.

Mary_Ann

I just replaced my tiny Toyota echo HB (Canadian model) with a brand new Scion xB and I'm in love!!! I have a huge trunk compared to what I was used to. I was debating between the mazda5 and the xB, since buying an SUV or a van wasn't an option. The gas is pricey down here at $1,43 per liter today. I ended up with the scion since I know I will be able to fit 3 across when the time comes and I'm not found of Mazda. Their cars rust so fast, its horrible!

I don't care about my kids friends. I won't be driving a huge car just for them. I think you should chose what work for your family, not other people's children. In the end, its less expensive to take 2 cars when you need to haul more passengers if its not on a daily base.

sunnydayz

Tesla!! If I only had two kids (and a bigger budget) I would absolutely buy a Tesla. :) I also really like the Prius V .

Do you have a need for 4x4? Budget? New or used?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Tesla!! If I only had two kids (and a bigger budget) I would absolutely buy a Tesla. :) I also really like the Prius V .

Do you have a need for 4x4? Budget? New or used?

Hmm....I don't know much about cars....does 4x4 mean all wheel drive? If so, yes, that's something we need because we live in the land of ice and snow and our FWD vehicles are just miserable to drive when the roads aren't plowed. So if we were going the sedan route we'd probably go with a Legacy or something like that.

We don't really have a budget yet. My in-laws are talking about buying a new car, in which case we'd probably inherit (pay for below market rate) their Forester, which I think would work well for a 2-kid family, but I wasn't sure.

We don't usually buy used except from family or trusted friends. My husband is super anxious about buying used cars. We've bought one used car from a friend's parents, one brand new car, and one car we "inherited" (the title's actually still in their name, but it's on our insurance) from my in-laws.

T4K

Do you want something's fuel efficient? What about a 3rd row?

Traverse AWD came to mind as did a new Forrester.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I think a Forester would be a great AWD car for your crew! Other than Subarus, what about the Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4?

Awesome!

I think if we're going with the "Forester-type" vehicle, we'll probably go with the Forester that's already on the table because it would be the easiest and least-expensive option for us. I have friends with the CRV and Rav4 who rave about them, though.

As long as nobody tells me I need a 7-passenger vehicle, I'm fine with sticking to the Forester for 2 kids.

Just a quick question -- is the Forester known for being difficult to do 3-across? We're only planning on 2 kids for the moment, but you never know . . . We can cross that bridge when we come to it, but I'm just curious.

cantabdad

What model year is the Forester? If you go back far enough, the middle seat is quite narrow and humped in a way that makes it difficult to use for kids in carseats (or anyone, really). By contrast, the more recent models have a nice flat backseat that is much more 3-across friendly (though it is still a compact SUV and you will need to choose your carseats carefully). I don't know the exact year when the interior was re-designed.

We are 2-kid family with a Subaru Outback. We can do 5 passengers in a pinch (or fairly comfortably for a longer ride, if I rearrange the carseats) and that has proven to be pretty handy. And the cargo space and AWD are both much appreciated.

But anything beyond that, like a minivan or 3-row SUV? That would really be overkill for us. Our kids generally walk or take public transit to school, church, activities/playdates, etc. Only on a rare occasion have I ever needed to transport someone else's child. That could change in the future as they get older and perhaps do more sports and the like, but so far so good, and I'm glad I didn't pay extra (and have the lower fuel economy) for a minivan.

msg221

We have a 17 year old Accord and a 4 year old Accord. While the trunk is great for containing items, I find it a huge pain to load anything of significant size in the trunk. The size of the trunk itself means nothing when the actual opening is oddly shaped compared to the item you are trying to put in it. For example, I bought a Nauti and couldn't fit the darn box in my trunk. I had to put it in the front seat and belt it in. (No one else in the car with me).

Back in December we traded my Sorento in for a 2014 Accord. I thought I could get used to being back in a sedan but after 3 months of driving it, I couldn't. Reasons I missed my SUV: sitting up higher, ease of installing car seats (I hated the tether anchors being in the back window shelf of the Accord. It was so hard to tighten the tether strap! So much easier in an SUV to have tether hooks on the back of the seats!), and the cargo room. Loading anything large in the trunk of the Accord was a major PIA, especially because the seats don't fold down completely. Instead, there is just a pass through on one side. I hated it for this reason. Also, when I have to take the dogs to the groomer or vet I didn't want them on the back seat of the Accord. They shed so I would have to cover the seat but I still had dog hair on it and would have to vacuum. It was much easier to put them in the cargo area of an SUV.

DH now drives the Accord and it really has worked out better. He loves the Accord and gets way better gas mileage which is huge because his commute to work is twice as long as mine. We didn't swap vehicles before because I hated driving the Tundra. It was way too big. I rarely drove it and if I did, it was just up to the grocery store. Parking and backing out was a nightmare for me, so I would park at the very end of the row and then pull forward so I wouldn't have to back out of the space!

We drive my godchildren around a lot and then on occassion, our four grandchildren (but only 2 at a time), so we are pretty much a "2 kid family." We ended up trading my DH's Tundra in and got a 2014 CR-V and I am a happy driver again! There is plenty of room for two kids. They are riding in a FR90 and an Argos right now.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What model year is the Forester? If you go back far enough, the middle seat is quite narrow and humped in a way that makes it difficult to use for kids in carseats (or anyone, really). By contrast, the more recent models have a nice flat backseat that is much more 3-across friendly (though it is still a compact SUV and you will need to choose your carseats carefully). I don't know the exact year when the interior was re-designed.

We are 2-kid family with a Subaru Outback. We can do 5 passengers in a pinch (or fairly comfortably for a longer ride, if I rearrange the carseats) and that has proven to be pretty handy. And the cargo space and AWD are both much appreciated.

But anything beyond that, like a minivan or 3-row SUV? That would really be overkill for us. Our kids generally walk or take public transit to school, church, activities/playdates, etc. Only on a rare occasion have I ever needed to transport someone else's child. That could change in the future as they get older and perhaps do more sports and the like, but so far so good, and I'm glad I didn't pay extra (and have the lower fuel economy) for a minivan.

The Forester is a 2010. Anyone know when the redesign was? I know the Impreza was redesigned in 2011....is that when the Forester was too?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Do you want something's fuel efficient? What about a 3rd row?

Traverse AWD came to mind as did a new Forrester.

Fuel efficiency would be important. The third row question is kind of why I'm asking...not sure if we'd need it, but I have no idea because I have only one kid and she's too young for friends or carpooling, etc.

creideamh

The Forester was redesigned in 2009. We have a 2010 and 3 across is very, very not fun. Significantly less fun than my 2006 Prius, which isn't fun, either. The geometry is more wacky in the Forester than the Prius so it's harder to install seats...which is odd since the Prius has a taller center hump, but I digress. The Forester has a high seat bight and rounded area where normal seat bights are (which is why people used to think Radians were incompatible, before we knew it was ok to have the boot toes on the seat bottom and out of the bight.)
I can't even do 3 across in the Forester now since the dealer fixed the center seatbelt recall and the buckle stalk is now toward the outer seat- thus, the belts overlap and that's no good. LATCH is hidden in little holes with velcro flaps covering them. I do prefer the TA up in the ceiling though vs the Prius on the back of the seat. Neither of the cars allow LATCH borrowing.
I will say that the Forester is FABULOUS in snow and not bad to drive in general. But we very much consider it a 4 person car (and no longer have the choice with the overlapping belts anyway.) I would not buy it if I needed 3 across or to transport 5 people. My 2 cents!

Athena

We're in the process of buying a new car for our two kid family. :)

I'd given up the option of having a fifth person in our cars since having kid #2. This was the first time I thought about how nice it would be to have room for another person or two, but in the end, I just can't bring myself to make the sacrifices for that. So we'll continue to meet up with people at the destination for group outings and we stay home during sleep overs anyway.

I wouldn't count on 3 across working in any car unless you've tried it. It's never been an option for us.

I prefer all wheel drive and a wagon style. I do try to be responsible with projectiles, don't pack too high, and use the cargo cover.

We're buying new and looked at the CRV, Rav 4, Forester, Santa Fe Sport, Outback, Mazda5, Mazda's small SUV, ... maybe that was it. The Forester had the best MPG and headroom, while the Rav 4 crash test ratings did not impress me, the Mazdas were small, and the CRV had the best colors (IMO). As you've already heard, the 2010 Forester is the previous (3rd) Gen model and more spacious than the previous 2nd gen model we currently have. I like the 2010s, but I wouldn't count on getting a third seat across in it.

I hope something I've said is helpful to you. Good luck!!!

CarSafetyGuy

What kind of vehicle would you recommend for a 2-kid family?

We have a 4-yr old Impreza hatchback,which we love, and a 16-yr old Honda Accord. We're going to replace the Accord eventually, but not sure with what.

I always liked hatchbacks over sedans, but now that I understand the dangers of projectiles better, I am more and more impressed by sedans. Is one better than the other for vacations and other kid outings?

Because we're only planning on 2 kids, any regular 5-passenger vehicle seems fine, but do we need a bigger vehicle in order to accommodate our kids' friends? Even though I came from a 2-kid family, we always had a minivan, so I'm unfamiliar with what it's like to grow up without a car that can accommodate additional people outside the nuclear family. What do modern parents with kids in safety seats do about sleepovers and carpooling?

A minivan is by far the cheapest option for hauling between 6 and 8 people. Whether you want to transport your kids' friends will depend entirely on you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC