Best for 3rd row Chrysler/VW routan

kmom

Hello, I am having a problem with figuring out what to do with my 6 year old (she is about 43"tall and 50lbs) when the new baby comes. I will have three car seats in my 09 VW routan. She has a GN and is about a half inch from outgrowing the harness. She also has a Graco Safety surround booster.

Here is my problem: The crazy shoulder belts being forward of the seat in the back would constantly cause problems with the retracting of the belt and I am worried that she will not get a good belt fit every time. The GN may work better (I haven't tried it) but I can't use latch with it in booster mode and it is a very heavy seat to have back there unteathered or anchored. Also if we were to get in a wreck I don't want all that weight on her too.

I really don't have the money to buy new seats. I wish I could just buy a frontier 85 and be done with it but I don't see that happening.

What are your suggestions. Maybe there is a solution that I have not thought of or found.

I have not tried a LBB with her yet, I do not really want to use one yet. I am just looking for some discussion and ideas of the best way to go or a list of seats that could work for her back there.

Thank you very much for any help!

ADS

Phineasmama

A low back booster probably wouldn't help because the shoulder belts back there will not even sit on the child's chest, because they are too far forward.

I know you said you don't want to buy more seats, but another member here said that the Recaro Vivo works well on the outboard sides- that is about $79 on Amazon right now. I've also heard rumors of the cheaper Evenflo boosters (like the Big Kid?) work back there. I have Kiddy brand boosters that work but they are super expensive so that doesn't necessarily help you.

Your other option would be to put the rear facing kids in the back row and have the oldest in the captains chair, which isn't necessarily that convenient.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC