Best convertible-2011 Rav 4

U

Unregistered

Wondering if the Diono Pacifica can fit in my 2011 Rav 4? Maybe with the angle adjuster? My son is 18 months and 31lbs. I chose this seat due to extended rear facing (I was hesitant to go with only 40lb rear facing seats as he's already 31lbs!!), lots of leg room (as compared to others-at least that's what I read) and hoping it is comfortable. If the Diono does not fit, do you have others that you recommend? Thanks :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

The Diono should fit, but it'll be tight.

Some rather unique things about your car: You cannot use the lower anchors in the center, and since the center seatbelt comes down to basically the buttcrack area of the driver's side, any seat you install in the "center" will be half between the center and the driver's side. So it takes up both seats. And because your car is a Toyota with advanced airbags, you cannot let a carseat touch either front seat.

But yes, it should be doable with the angle adjuster. Before the angle adjuster it was a horrid experience, but could be done. Please let us know if you have questions.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much for your response, Wendy. I did read that about using the center and the low anchor stuff. A little more info...I also have a 6 and 1/2 year old in a booster so right now both are outbound (18 month is behind passenger seat). Now, I'm doubting this seat. What would you do? Would you try out the Diono or go with a different seat? If so, which one! So many choices and so little time (his car seat expires soon)! Thanks again :)

brooksfamily

I don''t have a Rav 4 but we've got a Jeep Liberty, had a Nissan Sentra, and our sitter has a Mazda 3, all small cars. We've had success with Britax seats installed in the middle with seat belt in all cars. They fit behind passenger if passenger is not to tall like 5'9" and below. But in the Liberty where we now need the seat to be in the outboard position we use a Pria 70 and virtually anyone can ride in the passenger seat.

U

Unregistered

He is in a Britax Roundabout which does fit well and is easy but I was worried with him being already 31lbs that he would outgrow most 40lbs rear-facing weight limits-like the Britax (not necessarily before 2 years but I wanted to do rfing past that if possible). I guess I'm down to trying a car seat like the Diono to rf as long as possible and hope it installs well or go with an easier fitting car seat that has the rf 40lb. weight limit? Is that the way you guys see it?

Also, "Brooksfamily" got me thinking that we do have both our kids in the outbound seats right now. Should I be putting my 18 month old in the middle? Right beside his brother who is in a booster (although after learning more about this stuff I'm considering putting him back in a ff 5 pt. harness, because he is on the little side-my kids are so opposite!)

I'm determined to get this figured out! Do CST do appts. with parents not only to install car seats but also to consult them on the best car seat? Just curious!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
He is in a Britax Roundabout which does fit well and is easy but I was worried with him being already 31lbs that he would outgrow most 40lbs rear-facing weight limits-like the Britax (not necessarily before 2 years but I wanted to do rfing past that if possible). I guess I'm down to trying a car seat like the Diono to rf as long as possible and hope it installs well or go with an easier fitting car seat that has the rf 40lb. weight limit? Is that the way you guys see it?

What seat is he in now?

Looking at the CDC and WHO growth charts he's just above the top line in weight right now. 40 pounds is about 2.75 years, 45 pounds is just before four, and 50 pounds is 4.5. That should give you an idea of how long each seat will last (disregarding height limits).

Also, "Brooksfamily" got me thinking that we do have both our kids in the outbound seats right now. Should I be putting my 18 month old in the middle? Right beside his brother who is in a booster (although after learning more about this stuff I'm considering putting him back in a ff 5 pt. harness, because he is on the little side-my kids are so opposite!)

If your 6.5 year old is over the minimum weight and height and sits properly in a booster seat, then it's fine for him. One on either side is fine as well, especially if they would be a distraction next to one another.

I'm determined to get this figured out! Do CST do appts. with parents not only to install car seats but also to consult them on the best car seat? Just curious!

We'll, we're consulting now. :) So we do both. Some will actually go shopping in the stores with you, try out seats in your car, and help you install the options so you know what's what before you decide. Others will only meet with you after you have a seat. And others will help out online to narrow it down, but can't meet with you in person. But I know I've gone shopping with people before.

Wendy

bubbaray

You can't install both center and outboard. There isn't room and the belts overlap. I have a 2010 (same body design) and can fit only a box of kleenex between 2 outboard seats. Your 2nd row moves, you will need to move it all the way back. Also, if your booster requires a vehicle headrest (most do), you can take the vehicle headrest out and install it backwords.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can't install both center and outboard. There isn't room and the belts overlap. I have a 2010 (same body design) and can fit only a box of kleenex between 2 outboard seats. Your 2nd row moves, you will need to move it all the way back. Also, if your booster requires a vehicle headrest (most do), you can take the vehicle headrest out and install it backwords.

Well, you can install middle and outboard, if the outboard side is the passenger side. Not so much at all middle and driver's side.

Dorel and Diono are the only boosters in the US that require headrests behind them.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks you all so much for taking the time to make suggestions and give advice! I'm really grateful as I know you do not have to do this ;)

Also, Wendy, I didn't mean to say that you weren't doing consulting for me. I just did not know if it was something that CSTs did in person (consult or just help install car seats). We've always gone to the fire dept.

Anyway, thanks to the suggestions on here, I've narrowed it down to the Maxi-Cosi 85 and the Nextfit!

I feel so much more informed about my car and car seats that will and will not work.

Now, when we get a new car next year, I'll know what to think about : )

U

Unregistered

He is 31in approx.

Also wondering if you guys think having a seat belt lock off is a big deal? I really am favoring the Maxi-Cosi 85 but it doesn't have a lock-off. I am used to Britax that does. Big deal? If it is I may go with NextFit because it has a lock-off but I do not like the material as much as the Maxi (my guy sweats easily! ).

Thx!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Unless you're traveling internationally often I wouldn't worry about a lockoff. Or have a car that doesn't have belts that lock before a crash.

Wendy

Cnidaria

At 10th percentile for height and 99th percentile for weight, you would definitely get the most rear-facing mileage out of the Diono seats, Clek Foonf or Fllo, or Peg Perego Convertible (i.e., all of the seats on the market that go above 40 lbs RFing*).

Getting to approx 2.75 RF is fine, too, though! Don't mistake that I'm trying to say that you have to RF him past 40 lbs.

I would highly recommend going to a store and trying the seats in your car. You might find that you like or dislike one in person that you weren't expecting to on paper. Or find that one fits in your car or doesn't, when you test-install it.

*There is also the Safety 1st Advance EX, but it is a pretty big seat. Though I didn't find that it took up any more space front to back than a Radian with angle adjuster.

U

Unregistered

You're right, "Cnidaria", I would love to try them out in-store but I can't seem to find any places that have them in-store! I have Buy Buy Baby close to me who sells them (the Clek, Cosi, Dionos, etc) online but never seem to have them in their store. Babies R US does not even sell the above.

Thoughts on where to go?

Cnidaria

The Buy Buy Baby nearest us has the Clek Fllo and various Dionos in store. Interestingly enough, the BBB website says those seats are online-only for that store, but there they are on display. I think they have the Pria, too.

We also went to an independent baby products store that sells Clek and Diono seats. We found them through the Clek website, which seems to have accurate tabs on who does and doesn't carry their seats. We ended up buying a Fllo from that store.

I think some Babies R Uses are carrying some Diono seats in-store now.

When we were shopping for a seat several years ago, we met with a tech in person who had access to a lot of different seats on the market then. We got to try our son in them and test-install them in our car.

As a last resort, once you have it narrowed down to the seat that looks best on paper, you could buy online from a place that has a good return policy, in case you decide you don't like it.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the heads up with the Buy Buy Baby online vs. in-store thing. I will definitely be traveling there this weekend to take a look : )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC