Question Best car seat position for no airbag 80 chevy truck

acilegna7

I have a 80 chevy pick up and would like to be able to drive with my 15 mo old son in it when needed. For example when a trip to costco will not fit in my civic etc. It wouldnt be a daily thing.

I dont have a convertible car seat yet but plan on getting one within a month. He is 25lbs 15 months old.

When i do get the convertible car seat what would be best safest placement for this particular truck. Forward fcing or back facing? Thanks!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Rear facing is always safest and since you have no airbags to worry about, you can safely rear face him in any seating position that the seat installs properly in. Doesit only have one row of seats? Lap-shoulder belt? If the belts have not been replaced, I recommend that, as belts that old will not perform optimally in a crash.

Since rear facing provides so much safety, as long as the belts have been replaced fairly recently I'd let my child ride in such a vehicle (rear facing.) You may want to select a seat that will allow for extra-long rear facing time in this vehicle; do you need recommendations?

acilegna7

Rear facing is always safest and since you have no airbags to worry about, you can safely rear face him in any seating position that the seat installs properly in. Doesit only have one row of seats? Lap-shoulder belt? If the belts have not been replaced, I recommend that, as belts that old will not perform optimally in a crash. Since rear facing provides so much safety, as long as the belts have been replaced fairly recently I'd let my child ride in such a vehicle (rear facing.) You may want to select a seat that will allow for extra-long rear facing time in this vehicle; do you need recommendations?

I have seen so many car seats i honestly do need recommendations. Thanks so much!

Keeanh

What is your budget? Will you be installing with a lap-only belt, or a lap-shoulder belt? Do your belts lock? The longest lasting seats are the Graco Size4me/Headwise/MySize, Diono Radian, Clek Foonf, Evenflo Sureride. All have their pros & cons.

acilegna7

What is your budget? Will you be installing with a lap-only belt, or a lap-shoulder belt? Do your belts lock? The longest lasting seats are the Graco Size4me/Headwise/MySize, Diono Radian, Clek Foonf, Evenflo Sureride. All have their pros & cons.

I am looking to invest up to 150$. It would be a lap shoulder belt and no locking. I would like somethng that will last me longer than a year. Thnks

Keeanh

For $150 you could get the Size4Me or the Sureride. The Sureride seems to be on sale for less than $100 quite frequently. The Size4Me is $150 at Toys R Us right now. I don't know if that's the best price out there. I'm in Canada, so a bit out of the loop in terms of US prices.

Both have a 40lb RF limit. I haven't used either, so can't comment on them personally. I think the Size4Me might last longer rear-facing since the Sureride has a 40" RF height limit. Although by 40", your child might be 40lbs anyways. On the other hand, I believe the Sureride has taller harness slots so will probably last longer forward-facing.

Since you don't have locking belts, make sure you know how to use a locking clip properly. If you've never used one before, they aren't difficult. Just be sure to actually read the instructions. The first time I used one I put it on the wrong side of the seat. Oops.

acilegna7

For $150 you could get the Size4Me or the Sureride. The Sureride seems to be on sale for less than $100 quite frequently. The Size4Me is $150 at Toys R Us right now. I don't know if that's the best price out there. I'm in Canada, so a bit out of the loop in terms of US prices. Both have a 40lb RF limit. I haven't used either, so can't comment on them personally. I think the Size4Me might last longer rear-facing since the Sureride has a 40" RF height limit. Although by 40", your child might be 40lbs anyways. On the other hand, I believe the Sureride has taller harness slots so will probably last longer forward-facing. Since you don't have locking belts, make sure you know how to use a locking clip properly. If you've never used one before, they aren't difficult. Just be sure to actually read the instructions. The first time I used one I put it on the wrong side of the seat. Oops.

Awesome....Thanks so much i will look out for those seats.

acilegna7

The Size4Me/MySize/Headwise will last a lot longer by height rear-facing than the SureRide, and is probably also a bit easier to put in. Here's what you'll be dealing with using a locking clip: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Is there a britax model comparable to the graco size4me/headwise/my size?

Even if its alittle more pricy.

I was told britax makes the best car seats...is there any truth in this?

Keeanh

Is there a britax model comparable to the graco size4me/headwise/my size?

Even if its alittle more pricy.

I was told britax makes the best car seats...is there any truth in this?

Nope, not true ;) The best seat is the one that fits YOUR individual needs. You want something that is long-lasting and costs under $150. Britax seats don't match either criteria.

Britax makes very nice user-friendly seats. But they don't make one that will last as long as the other seats I mentioned. When you buy Britax, you're paying for the features.

As far as safety goes, all seats pass the same tests. In fact, since rear-facing is safest, the "safest" seat for your child would be the one that lasts the longest rear-facing. That's assuming you're going to rear-face until the seat is outgrown.

acilegna7

Nope, not true ;) The best seat is the one that fits YOUR individual needs. You want something that is long-lasting and costs under $150. Britax seats don't match either criteria. Britax makes very nice user-friendly seats. But they don't make one that will last as long as the other seats I mentioned. When you buy Britax, you're paying for the features. As far as safety goes, all seats pass the same tests. In fact, since rear-facing is safest, the "safest" seat for your child would be the one that lasts the longest rear-facing. That's assuming you're going to rear-face until the seat is outgrown.

Wow, i want to rear face for the longest possible as long as the seat i get is able to.
Thanks for all your help! So glad i found this site!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC