Best car seat for rear-facing to booster (Diono Ranier?)

U

Unregistered

I have two kids and a 2014 Ford Escape. I have a baby in an infant seat and a 2 year old rear-facing in a Graco MySize 65. I'm looking to upgrade my toddler's seat so that I can move the baby to the convertible seat. We can budget as high as we need to, but I would like to find a seat that I can use for the rest of the time my toddler needs a carseat/booster. I really like the Diono Ranier because of the steel frame, good side-protection, and the high rear and front-facing harness weight limits (and height limits- our family is tall) but I am a little worried about the ease of use ratings. Is this a good choice if I learn how to correctly install and use it or is there a better option for us? Is the booster a good one once we get to that stage? Thanks!

ADS

lgenne

The Rainier makes a terrible booster. I like Dionos for rear facing, and they're fine for forward facing if you can get a good install.

Do you have inflatable seat belts?

featherhead

I have two kids and a 2014 Ford Escape. I have a baby in an infant seat and a 2 year old rear-facing in a Graco MySize 65. I'm looking to upgrade my toddler's seat so that I can move the baby to the convertible seat. We can budget as high as we need to, but I would like to find a seat that I can use for the rest of the time my toddler needs a carseat/booster. I really like the Diono Ranier because of the steel frame, good side-protection, and the high rear and front-facing harness weight limits (and height limits- our family is tall) but I am a little worried about the ease of use ratings. Is this a good choice if I learn how to correctly install and use it or is there a better option for us? Is the booster a good one once we get to that stage? Thanks!
The Ranier looks good on paper, but your Graco MySize will actually last about the same amount of time, maybe longer. It adjusts taller for rear-facing. I'm not sure about harness height for forward-facing, but I'm guessing its fairly close to the same. And the Ranier is a very short lived booster. In fact, some kids will outgrow the harness before they hit 50 lbs, so they aren't even heavy enough to use the booster.

I would stick with Graco if I were you. They have a couple different models that can be used rear, forward, and booster. They are some of the few 3-in-1 or all-in-one seats that actually work well in each mode, and are long lasting.

lgenne

(Graco can't be used with inflatable seat belts, though, which takes us down a long path to other car seats if they are inflatable. Concur on Graco if they aren't inflatable.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC