Backless or Cosco combo HBB for 6 yr old?

kater-tot82

My stepdaughter is going to be 6 yo in March, she is about 44 inches/42 lbs. One or two weekends a month she goes to her biological mom's. Currently she is in a Cosco combination seat in booster mode. I noticed a couple of weekends ago that the lap belt on the Cosco seat seemed kinda high on DD's abdomen.
DD's BM is not interested in CPS at all. She wouldn't even replace a seat after she was in a car accident (hence the Cosco seat). I was wondering if a backless Turbo would be adequate in this situation since she doesn't really have any side-impact protection with the Cosco seat in booster mode. BM drives a very old car that is in bad shape and DD is outboard. We have a HB TB for carpooling and it fits DD great acros the lap portion. HB TBs have gotten so expensive so DH really doesn't want to pay $60 because BM is so irresponsible w/ seats and basically they get trashed with food, etc, and that's another reason he doesn't want to lend out our carpool seat. I was thinking maybe a backless Turbo would work?
So, bottom line: Backless Turbo or keep her in the Cosco seat? Or maybe that one Cosco backless booster that is like $18 at Walmart? Or some other (cheap) alternative I am missing out on? Or is a backless less than ideal? I don't think her head is above the seat yet...
ETA: Obviously we do not want DD in any danger so we will do what it takes to keep her safe. She is just w/ her BM so rarely that we don't want to invest a lot of $$ for something that'll be treated like crap--but BM won't buy a new seat. The responsibility falls on us.

ADS

Maedze

I would rather see her in a backless TB (don't forget the screws in the armrests!) that provided an excellent seatbelt fit than a Cosco combination seat that provides a poor seatbelt fit :twocents:

Of course, ideally, a 6 year old would be in a high back booster with excellent side impact protection, but the most important part of the booster is the fit of the seatbelt, so the TB wins, even if it is backless.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Does bm vehicle have headrests? If so, then a backless would be fine. If not, then you need to make sure she has head support from the vehicle seat before you put her in a backless. Depends on the car and how tall she is.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC