Backless booster - ok for airline trip for big 6.5 yo?

hokie98

We will be flying next month with our 6.5 yo. She's pretty big...90/95 percentile for hgt/wgt. We probably won't check luggage; we will depart late Thurs and return on Sun, so she'll need the seat for 2-1/2 days in a rental car. For sake of convenience, would it be okay to just carry the backless portion of her TurboBooster? Or should we suck it up and carry the HBB?

ADS

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
*I* would have no problems with using a backless for a child that age who is properly booster trained as long as there will adequate head support in the vehicles.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, our first opportunity to fly with a kid over that age was when my oldest was 7, but at that age, we brought the BubbleBum (and loved it) and I had no qualms. We weren't spending extensive time in the car on the other end (a few taxis- that's it) so it wasn't like she was going to be likely to sleep in it (actually she did fall asleep, but did fine.) In a rental car you'll have shoulder belts and headrests in all positions in the back, so I don't see a potential issue- you can stick the kid in the center if you want more protection from potential side impacts. :) Just make sure you bring the shoulder belt adjuster in case the belt needs to be pulled off the neck for comfort.

hokie98

Thanks all! The back of her TurboBooster comes off pretty easily, and I envisioned what a pain it would be to lug both pieces through the airport...I'd do it if necessary, but I think she'd be fine backless for a couple of days. The other alternative is her GN...and that's way to bulky & heavy to lug if we don't have to do so. Not to mention we'll also be carrying our 9mo's convertible!

By the way, ketchupqueen - you mentioned the shoulder belt adjuster...I've only used HBB, so I'm used to running the seat belt through the shoulder hook. What shoulder belt adjusters are you talking about? Should it have come with the seat?

aeormsby

The shoulder belt adjuster is a strap that comes up from the booster bottom and has a plastic thing for the shoulder belt to go through. The plastic part can slide up and down the strap so you can adjust it for the best shoulder belt placement. I don't own a turbo so I don't know if the high back boosters come with them. I know on our harmony NBB it's attached to the center/bottom of the seat (so you can use it on either side). And our GO came with one for use as a NBB.

ETA - this video shows how to use it [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHH1fSRaVSM&lr=1&user=gracobaby"]Graco TurboBooster Car Seat Backless Installation Video - YouTube[/ame]

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, it came with your seat, in the bag with the manual and screws. :) It's red with a black strap on the Turbo, IIRC.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC