Back pain in Britax Marathon?

ceetee

For the last few months, my 3 year old has been complaining that car seat is hurting his back. I can't for the life of me figure out why this might be. I checked the manual, the carseat appears to be installed correctly. We are going on a 10 hour trip next week and I obviously don't want him to be so uncomfortable. Can anybody think why this might be? He is FF, 37" and 32.5 lbs.

On a completely unrelated note, DH is campaigning to change DD to FF because she gets motion sickness and vomits (not fun on 10 hour trips!) She is nearly 17 months, 24 lbs and 30.5", in an Evenflo Trumph. I'm so conflicted. Has anyone turned to FF for this reason? Would I be crazy to do it?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think I'd switch their seats :). The Triumph will probably have better, deeper leg support to prevent back pain in the 3 yo, and the Marathon can maybe be installed a little more upright with shallower sides to help with motion sickness (and is a lot easier to wash if that doesn't work...).

cookie123

You could maybe try some ginger for your trip. Myth busters says it's the only thing that works for nausea. It has to be real ginger ale. Or maybe you could take apart a ginger capsule and put in water or something. Ginger capsules are hard to find. We used them on our cruise and we found them at Walgreens. Or maybe ginger cookies or something else with ginger in them.

Kat_Momof3

well, first of all, I'd take the cover off and detail the seat... there may be some weird old crumb that she's managing to feel under the cover and foam... never know.

but then, if there's nothing that could have been bothering her, I'd switch their seats... because back pain is normally caused by the legs... and she may just need more leg support for awhile (which would NOT be solved by turning her)

U

Unregistered

I think I'd switch their seats :). The Triumph will probably have better, deeper leg support to prevent back pain in the 3 yo, and the Marathon can maybe be installed a little more upright with shallower sides to help with motion sickness (and is a lot easier to wash if that doesn't work...).

I took your advice and it seems to have worked wonders! No complaints about back pain from my 3 year old (he even told me that this car seat is so comfy) and my daughter didn't get sick either going or coming home.
I'm just wondering why the Marathon should have been a problem for my son. Shouldn't he be able to stay in that for years to come? He's only 33 lbs.
Thanks for all your help.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Glad it worked! It is usually the shallow seat depth on the MA that makes kids legs dangle at just the wrong angle and causes back pain. It's possible when his legs get longer he'll be able to rest them on the front of the car's seat to take the pressure off... but some kids just seem to find it quite uncomfortable at a very young age, who knows why (maybe the shape of the car's seat makes the angle just 'wrong' for some kids? It's kind of a mystery, really!).
Phew about the carsickness being better (my dd2 just had a horrible incident and vomitrocious carseats are SO NASTY :p)

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC