Vent Are you kidding me?

msg221

I just listed the two brand new Britax Advocates I have on Craigslist. I decided not to keep these and to go with the TFP & Radian XTSL that I tried out instead. I didn't put a price, just said I would be willing to negotiate REASONABLE offers. The first response I got, this person asked if I'd sell it for $120! These are not used, several year old seats for crying out loud! The DOM is March 1, 2010! They are still in plastic with all the tags attached!

What do you think would be a reasonable price to ask or for someone to offer me? The way I figured it, on sale the best price one is likely to get is 15-20% off. So maybe $296 is the best someone would do elsewhere. Thankfully I am not desperate to sell.

Last edited:
ADS

nevaehsmommy

I have a true fit car seat on craigslist that was a replacement for the defective top tether. I have it listed for $115 and no bites except for scammers. It is hard to sell car seats when you have expired marathons selling for cheap and parents not knowing that threre is a diff. I would either try swap on here or return them and count your losses for the shipping back fees or gift them to someone.

Maedze

Honestly, the Advocate is grossly overpriced *retail*. You aren't going to get what you feel they're worth on Craigslist. I wouldn't expect over 150 for either one.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I agree. It's hard to get an item's real worth on craigslist--especially something like a car seat, which most people don't really care about that much.

Most people have no clue what an Advocate even IS. I'd include a very detailed description of the seat and mention what they sell for at the store. Then YOU put a price on it, and negotiate from there.

You might find that you can't do much better than $120 on CL, though.

msg221

I can't return them because they were actually replacement seats that Britax sent me when I called to tell them I was having problems with the harness adjuster on the previous Advocates I had. Actually, on both, but more so on the Opus Gray one I had. I figured I would try the TFP and Radian and if I liked them better I would then just sell the Advocates on CL. Well, I then ended up getting my Radian for free when Diapers.com credited my account for them after a huge delivery problem. (I sure wasn't expecting that when I called them!)

I didn't think it would be this hard to sell because I sold a Boulevard on CL before with no problem. I listed the Britax link in my post as well as stock photos and a photo of the seat I have AND a pic of the DOM sticker!

Oh well, I could use them as spares I suppose or I might give the Kathryn one to my husband's niece, for her baby girl. Of course, that is going to involve putting it on a flight when we travel to Boston in June. We are actually going there to babysit while mom & dad are both on business trips!

ntrenary

I bet it would go for at least $200 on Denver's CL. I sold a 2 year old Regent for $100 a few months ago even though they were going for $160 on clearence at the time. People here snatch up Britax seats like crazy! Maybe you can list in on Denver's CL and say you'll ship it.

msg221

I bet it would go for at least $200 on Denver's CL. I sold a 2 year old Regent for $100 a few months ago even though they were going for $160 on clearence at the time. People here snatch up Britax seats like crazy! Maybe you can list in on Denver's CL and say you'll ship it.

I just might have to try that if I get no replies here in Phoenix. Thanks for the info!

mum2two

Maybe try ebay, the wider market may help.

I agree with other as well, the Advocate is a niche seat, not many folks will pay anywhere near full price on CL...they're looking for deals.

msg221

Maybe try ebay, the wider market may help.

I agree with other as well, the Advocate is a niche seat, not many folks will pay anywhere near full price on CL...they're looking for deals.

Good suggestion as well. I just received another offer--- for $85!! It's only getting worse!

nmb

Good suggestion as well. I just received another offer--- for $85!! It's only getting worse!

Yeah, CL can be that way sometimes. I just ignore those.

If it makes you feel any better...I listed two strollers on CL for $20 (for both). One umbrella stroller, and one Babytrend travel-system type stroller (never had the carseat for it). Pretty much giving them away at that price... I just wanted a little bit for it to get DS something 'cause I knew he'd be upset when someone took them (and he was).

Someone emailed and asked if I would just give her them.

Um, really.:confused:

msg221

I don't think that I am being unreasonable. I replied to those who were offering me ridiculous amounts and explained that the best price I could find via online retailers right now was $295.99 and that I'd be willing to negotiate down a bit from that, but not down to $85! I know they are looking for deals, but I'd like to get a fair amount myself as well. I have also had two people offering me $230 for BOTH seats!

NMB: that was pretty ridiculous of someone to ask if you would just GIVE them to her!

Maedze

From the perspective of a technician, I would be happier if someone showed up at a checkpoint with a 50 dollar Scenera they bought at Target than a 200 dollar Advocate they bought off Craigslist.

I once tried to sell a true fit on Craigslist, and other than a scammer, I was getting offers of 20 and 30 bucks.. I decided not to sell it on CL after a few weeks and just ship it

Spam

You'd most likely have better luck on ebay, or possibly swap. but i'd guess ebay would be your best bet at getting the most out of them.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
From the perspective of a technician, I would be happier if someone showed up at a checkpoint with a 50 dollar Scenera they bought at Target than a 200 dollar Advocate they bought off Craigslist.

Except that it's a new-with-tags Britax, so the CL thing wouldn't bother me. I would consider that "bought it new" and "know the history". :twocents:

msg221

Except that it's a new-with-tags Britax, so the CL thing wouldn't bother me. I would consider that "bought it new" and "know the history". :twocents:

That's what I thought. I could even give them the e-mail that Britax sent me when they shipped the seats. I would have just left them in the box so it would definitely show that they are brand new, but I needed the boxes to ship my old seats back. I didn't have time to hunt down other boxes that would have been large enough to ship those monster seats back! If I didn't ship them back within 30 days, they were going to charge my credit card for the two replacement seats.

Maedze

I missed the part where it was new-with-tags.

I still think it's highly unlikely the OP is going to get anywhere near what she wants for this seat on Craigslist :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC