Are backless boosters okay?

stacim

We have used them in the past and were traded newer ones at a carseat safety check. I am sure they are not the best option, but when it is appropriate to use them? My middle ds still uses one once a month when he rides in my dad's truck. It has very upright seats in the back and nothing else seems to fit very well.

~Staci

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Two VERY important things to note.

Children have side impact protection in high back boosters, and none in backless boosters.

Children NEED additional head support in a backless booster -- is there a head rest behind his head in your dad's truck, or just glass?

scatterbunny

LuvBug and Gypsy asked good questions, and I touched on some of that in your other thread. :)

IMO child's maturity plays a big factor; a highback booster provides a certain level of confinement similar to a harnessed seat that a backless booster does not. A highback usually positions belts better than a backless for smaller kids. A highback provides side impact protection, so in a vehicle with side airbags and/or good side impact crash scores, a backless might be seen as an acceptable solution. The vehicle must provide head support at least up to the tips of the child's ears for a backless to be an option, however.

stacim

Thanks for the responses!

DS is 8, 53" and 55#. Dad's truck is a full-size GMC Sierra ext-cab. There are headrests outboard, which is where my boys typically sit. I doubt the truck has side impact protection, so I would need a booster that can fit VERY upright seats to work in his truck.

scatterbunny - Thanks for responding to both posts. :) I will respond there.

Thanks!
Staci

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
70% decreased head injury with highback boosters... use them as long as you possibly can (pretty big truck though, I wouldn't be totally stressed out..if it were a small 6 year old in a tiny little car, I'd be more adamant, personally).

:)

stacim

70% decreased head injury with highback boosters... use them as long as you possibly can (pretty big truck though, I wouldn't be totally stressed out..if it were a small 6 year old in a tiny little car, I'd be more adamant, personally).

:)

Does that 70% figure only apply if there are wings for head support?

I do still need to figure out what will fit for dd. He almost never has her in the truck, but does occasionally. I usually just put her seat from our van in, but now that she is in a Parkway, I don't know if that will work. I really think I would like to find a reasonably priced 5-point that could be used in the center position, which only has a lap belt and no headrest. Suggestions?

~Staci

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Does that 70% figure only apply if there are wings for head support?

I do still need to figure out what will fit for dd. He almost never has her in the truck, but does occasionally. I usually just put her seat from our van in, but now that she is in a Parkway, I don't know if that will work. I really think I would like to find a reasonably priced 5-point that could be used in the center position, which only has a lap belt and no headrest. Suggestions?

~Staci

The 70% is any highback booster...I imagine the number would be higher if it were all SIP boosters (Compass B510/Recaro/Britax/Jane'/Maxi Cosi are all tested for SIP, and the crash tests I've seen where they really contain the head in a side crash can be impressive).
The Radian might work in that position...?

MomToEliEm

stacim

The 70% is any highback booster...I imagine the number would be higher if it were all SIP boosters (Compass B510/Recaro/Britax/Jane'/Maxi Cosi are all tested for SIP, and the crash tests I've seen where they really contain the head in a side crash can be impressive).
The Radian might work in that position...?

Thanks! I think I may need to do a carseat shuffle. :D Maybe I can move on of our Parkways to mom's car (if it fits well) and get dd a Radian. I would rather she be in a 5-point in our van anyway. Oh, the choices are making my head spin. :dizzy:

stacim

Here is a link to some of the crash tests of different booster types.

Video of High Back Booster with deap side wings:
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_...ideos/test2002/seitencrash/concordliftpro.mpg

Video of high back booster with shallow side wings
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos/test2002/seitencrash/htsbesafe.mpg

Video of a no back booster
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_...1/seitencrash/Baby_Sunny_touring_P3_vorne.mpg

Thanks for the links! I just looked at those last night in someone else's thread. I am totally not opposed to a high back, but I have to find one that will work in the awkward/uncomfortable back seat.

~Staci

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, I know! We all come here thinking we are doing everything at least pretty well, and realize we need half a dozen seats to really cover every possible scenario in the safest way :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC