AOE Install ?s

AwwMama

A friend of mine has an AOE, FF w/ full recline on outboard side for her 25mo, approx 27lbs.

I noticed today that a significant portion of the AOE is actually off the car seat, approximately 30-40% of the base overhangs the front and there is a large gap behind the AOE and the car seat itself (4-6 inches) where LATCH is used. (Gap is large enough to store boots)
I've offered to help her reinstall the seat so it is on the actual car seat itself more, but I wanted to verify a few things before I did. I did offer to help her reinstall RF if she would like, but I think she would prefer FF.

1. Does the AOE manual allow for any base overhang on a car seat? I suspect there's more than a 1" wiggle with how far off the AOE was from the car seat itself. The back of the AOE was against the higher portion of the car seat itself.

2. Do you recommend uprighting the seat at this point? It was reclined because of headslup on a long car trip. The seat is about a year old from purchase but I don't know the DOM.

3. Any tricks to helping get a better install? Do I need to remove the base? How would I do that? I'm not sure if she still has the manual, so any advice here would be much appreciated.

ADS

Pixels

No seat allows more than 20% overhang. At least 80% of the seat base needs to be on the seat. Some seats require 100% on the seat, but the AOE isn't one of those seats as far as I know. The answer would be in the manual, of course.

Does the AOE allow the seat to be reclined in forward facing mode? Most seats do not. Stickers on the side of the seat itself shold answer this question, if not it will be in the manual.

Some AOEs you can remove the base, some you can't. Guess where the answer is? Yes, the manual. You can download a copy of the manual from http://www.coscojuvenile.com/usa/eng/Instructions. You'll need the model number and DOM.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The seat absolutely can NOT be used in recline mode while forwards facing in that situation. Dorel does allow recline ot be used when FFing ONLY if you needthe recline to make the seat line up with an extremely contoured vehicle seat. The way you are describing it, that is clearly not the case, and the seat MUST be put more upright. Period. If the base is on, the seat can be used in the full upright or intermediary position, if you take the base off, it must be used with the recluine block up for forward facing.
If head slump is a true issue they are concerned about ,they may install the seat rearfacing in recline mode, which would actually be the SIGNIFICANTLY safer optio for such a young, small child, and would be what is HIGHLY recommended by me and every other tech onteh board. If they choose to have the child forwardfacing despite the danger, then they MUST use the upright mode. Yes, 80% of the seat needs to be on the vehicle seat....I believe that once you get the seat into the correct, allowed upright position, this will probably not be an issue.
It would of course be best for a tech to help, you can look at the online listing at this site or at the national safekids listing. This seat actually usually installs quite easily and quickly when forward facing, if you folllow the instructions. rearfacing, you sometimes need a pool noodle, but it's stiull usually pretty straightforward. The only "trick" is to pull the latch strap or seat back through the beltpath to get the most leverage.

AwwMama

Thank you for all of the comments, they have been quite helpful! I know she did not intend to incorrectly install the seat and has agreed to let me assist her with a better install. We do have an acquaintance who is a CPST and I am in regular contact with her, since I plan to be certified this summer, myself. She will gladly check it for her, no problem. :thumbsup:

The overhang is well over 20% of the seat. I am confident it will fit on the seat when it is uprighted properly.

I will take a look at the online manual as well.

TY :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC