Anyone own the Radio Flyer Ultimate Family Wagon?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Can you tell me what you like/dislike about it?

And most importantly, can you please tell me what the wheels are made of? The main reason we're replacing our current wagon is because the wheels are regular plastic (not EVA foam or anything) and are SO freakin' loud on the sidewalk that you can't hear anyone talk and it gives you a headache! I want rubber or foam wheels!

ADS

lovinwaves

I honestly have never seen that one in person, but I believe it was a contender when we were buying a Radio Flyer Wagon. We ended up getting this one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-2600-Discovery-Wagon/dp/B00005KBVH/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1249143597&sr=1-24"]Amazon.com: Radio Flyer Discovery Wagon: Toys & Games[/ame] And I highly highly recommend it. We have had ours for 5 1/2 years, or something like that. We use it daily. I believe it was cheaper too!

The thing is HUGE and holds alot of kids :eek: My husband and I also use it for landscaping and hauling things around the yard. It has a built in cooler in the floor with a drain hole, and two built in cup holders.

Two toddlers can sit their backs against the back of the seat and sit side by side easily. My kids are almost 4 and 5 and can still do this. I should take some pictures.

It also holds an infant bucket and another 2-3 kids. Yeah, it's huge.

The wheels are solid rubber. They are NOT noisy by any means. Not quiet like a stroller, but not loud like some wagons and kids bikes are, ya know? It's not a nuissance at all. I hear ya on that. That might have been on of the reasons I didn't go with the one you are looking at. I think the wheels were going to be noisy. Not 100% sure though.

All of the sides on my wagon come off as well. That is great for putting the wagon in the back of a car, and also for making a quick table for the kids to sit at. It's versatile.

I have no complaints about it, really :D

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
And it looks like Radio Flyer doesn't make that one anymore. :( and it looks AWESOME! Almost like what we currently have but better.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i just went ot the radioflyer site, and it looks like all of the 2000-3000 series wagons have quiet tires, or so they say.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
i just went ot the radioflyer site, and it looks like all of the 2000-3000 series wagons have quiet tires, or so they say.
Ya, I saw that, but I have no idea what that means. The Little Tikes ones also say "quiet tires" and from what I can tell they are the regular loud plastic. I've read a review or two that says they are solid rubber but the review were older and something could have changed.

rochelle

I saw the wagon on display at TRU at most one month back and the wheels dont feel like rubber

It look exactly like the 2nd image on amazon website [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Ultimate-Family-Wagon/dp/B000EUMP9K"]Amazon.com: Radio Flyer Ultimate Family Wagon: Toys & Games[/ame]

I am not sure how old the display model is though

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I saw the wagon on display at TRU at most one month back and the wheels dont feel like rubber

It look exactly like the 2nd image on amazon website Amazon.com: Radio Flyer Ultimate Family Wagon: Toys & Games

I am not sure how old the display model is though
Okay, my guess is they aren't hard rubber but that could be EVA foam (like many strollers have) which will be fine for me. I just don't want that hard plastic that clunks along. That pic could also be the typical hard plastic though, hard to tell! :)

It's really too bad Radio Flyer is closed on the weekends because the place I want to buy from has a coupon for the weekend and if I wait to talk to Radio Flyer, I miss the coupon!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So, last night I went ahead and ordered the model 3180 (slightly different than the 3100 Ultimate Family Wagon) because the store had a coupon only good on the weekend and out of all the stores that would ship to Canada, the 3180 was the same or less expensive than the 3100. If we hate the padded seats, we can just pop off the padding.

I got a hold of Radio Flyer today and was told that the 3180 has EVA foam wheels. I'd prefer rubber, but as long as they're not hard plastic that echoes along the sidewalk, I'm fine with it. I didn't ask about the 3100, but I suspect it's the same.

crunchierthanthou

oh man! I wish I would have seen this yesterday. We hate our Radio Flyer wagon. I'm not sure if it's a 2000 or 3000 series. I think it's the Pathfinder (red seats), but it has a canopy. It doesn't really matter because all of those share what I don't like about it. The handle is connected to the bed and the front wheels are independent, making it a PITB to steer. I thought it would be so great for the zoo... nope. that's the worst because you're trying to navigate crowds, hills (and crowded hills), turn around in tight spaces, and such.

http://www.radioflyer.com/products/wagons/index.asp

see how the classic and cargo styles have the handle connected to an axle? that's what I would go for if I decided to buy a new wagon. :twocents:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
oh man! I wish I would have seen this yesterday. We hate our Radio Flyer wagon. I'm not sure if it's a 2000 or 3000 series. I think it's the Pathfinder (red seats), but it has a canopy...It doesn't really matter because all of those share what I don't like about it. The front wheels are independent and it's a PITB to steer. I thought it would be so great for the zoo... nope. that's the worst because you're trying to navigate crowds and turn around and such.

http://www.radioflyer.com/products/wagons/index.asp

see how the classic and cargo styles have the handle connected to an axle? that's what I would go for if I decided to buy a new wagon. :twocents:
Argh! Our current wagon has the handle attached to the axle and it's very easy to steer. I was a bit worried about not having the handle attached but I read several reviews saying it was fine and easy to steer so I didn't worry about it....and now I'm worried!

But, I cannot find a wagon that has both quiet wheels AND front axle steering! (except for the Radio Flyer metal/wood and I'm not a fan of those) Do you know of one by another company? I'm sure I could cancel my order if I could find something else ASAP. This one *might* be possibility, but not sure how much I like a steel handle http://www.radioflyer.com/products/wagons/3600.asp

Little Tikes and Step2 only make wagons with loud wheels. Even if they didn't, their ones with seats don't work well for one child only.

crunchierthanthou

it might be fine. maybe I'm just too picky. :eek: It's fine around the neighborhood and stuff but no good for tight spaces.

is there anywhere near you that sells any of that body style Radio Flyer where you could pull it around the store?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
it might be fine. maybe I'm just too picky. :eek: It's fine around the neighborhood and stuff but no good for tight spaces.
See, I'm REALLY picky, about EVERYTHING!

is there anywhere near you that sells any of that body style Radio Flyer where you could pull it around the store?
Canadian stores with Radio Flyer are lacking. :( The only place around me is ToysRUs and I went there and they have only 3 wagons in the store, none of them are Radio Flyers. Our TRU is going through renos right now, so might be why they are low on wagons, they used to have 6-10 styles.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Got our wagon.

Thought I'd update that our wagon arrived. Again, we got the model 3180 Ultimate Comfort Wagon (link). Basically the same as the family wagon I asked about, but with removable seat pads and a fold up storage bag on the back.

DH prefers how our old one steers on the axle. but he doesn't dislike this one. The positives of the wagon outweigh that issue for him. I actually like how this one steers more. We haven't used it in tight spots yet, only for walks in the neighbourhood, to the park, etc. so I don't know if it will bother me in tight spaces.

I'm not a big fan of the look of the canopy and figured I'd just leave it off. But the other day we walked to the park at high noon and it totally kept DD in the shade, so it does have a use and I'll likely use it a lot more than I initially thought.

We set it up so DD sat at the handle end (and she LOVES the seat padding!) and the other side we set up as the storage area. DD often gets me to adjust the other seat so its a table for her and she likes to ride like that. The cup holders on the floor hold her fillyourown.ca water bottle perfectly.

And the best part about the wagon? The wheels are QUIET! Just like stroller wheels, decently smooth ride and soooooo much quieter than the loud ruckus my prior Little Tikes wagon made! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC