Another True Fit Problem

tl01

It did take use a little while to work out the perfect recline for our seat. It's too bad it is not going to work for you.

ADS

firemomof3

TO change gears, here is my 4.75y/o 46" tall 40lbs. in the True Fit. There is
7" of harness left. So, for a taller/husky child there would not be enough harness length left. :thumbsdown:

Yoshi

I tried DD in a True Fit and she was just about of room with a 15" torso. For comparison, she is on the second-to last slot in the Nautilus. I don't think you will find it offers him much room if any if he is on the top slot of the GN.

mine is due tommorow. I have a 6.5 yo who weighs over 50 pounds and is on the last slot of the nauti. I will see how bulky he is in the seat. I hope it is not that the sporty blue somehow has longer straps (in another thread it shows that the padding, head support is slightly differnt) we too ordered the misty morning.

solmama

Firemom,
Have you tried using the padding, included with the seat, that goes solely around the head? Is that okay with Truefit? I know the infant padding, the seat part, cannot be used above the 1st slot, but what about the part designed for the head? Would that help him at all?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Do the older true fits have the different loops at the end of the harness for getting it full length vs shorter length? Or are these problems occurring with the harness set to the longest length?

(The new manual online shows loops similar to the snugride to adjust the length of harness available. I haven't seen an old manual though, so I'm not sure if the old seats have the loop settings or not. Maybe Compass has already fixed the problem if the pre march 08 seats don't have the loops?)

firemomof3

Firemom,
Have you tried using the padding, included with the seat, that goes solely around the head? Is that okay with Truefit? I know the infant padding, the seat part, cannot be used above the 1st slot, but what about the part designed for the head? Would that help him at all?

I actually asked a tech. about that and she said that I shouldn't use any of the infant padding since he is 24lbs. and at the 1st harness slot :( I'm going out this afternoon with my little man to try him yet more car seats. So, we'll see.

snowbird25ca

Ya, the little bugger just woke up as I was trying to snap a picture of the way he was sleeping. So, he's just lifting his head from it being at like a 90 degree angle. It was just so horrible. I thing what is happening is he is just swimming in this seat right now. He is too big to use the padding but yet too small to fill the seat out properly. I dont know?

Looks like it was probably normal sideways head slump to me. The only kind that's really worrisome is straight down chin to chest - as in directly down, not off to the side at all. It looks uncomfy, but if he's sleeping like that he can't be that uncomfortable. :thumbsup:

He's over 22lbs IIRC, so padding just isn't an option at all then...

(as to the PP who said padding can't be used above 1st slot, the current manual does not state that, so unless the wording in the old manual is different, I think this may just be a case of confusing wording... padding is mandatory for kids until they reach the bottom slot. Cannot be used after 22lbs and cannot be used ff'ing. There wasn't any wording about having to remove once kiddo reaches first or 2nd slot, just that it could be removed once kiddo was above 1st height and was mandatory until that happened. :shrug-shoulders: )

eta: The only seat that my kids haven't had sideways and somewhat down slump in is the MA because it's narrower in the shoulder area. I imagine you were used to even less if he's coming out of a blvd, but it really doesn't sound like there's any reason for concern from a technical standpoint. His airway isn't being blocked and he's sleeping just fine. :twocents:

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Oh - I forgot about that Snowbird. You mean the loops that connect to the splitter plate, right? My DOM is 2/12/08 and it does have the 2 different harness setting loops at the splitter plate.

Yes - everyone with "short harness" issues may want to check out the back of the seat to make sure that they are on the outermost loops.

I love your brain Snowbird! You always remember the little details :D .

snowbird25ca

Oh - I forgot about that Snowbird. You mean the loops that connect to the splitter plate, right? My DOM is 2/12/08 and it does have the 2 different harness setting loops at the splitter plate.

Yes - everyone with "short harness" issues may want to check out the back of the seat to make sure that they are on the outermost loops.

I love your brain Snowbird! You always remember the little details :D .

Hehe, thanks. :love:

Yep,those are the exact loops I'm talking about. (I just read the manual yesterday, so it's fresh in my head still. ;))

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Looks like it was probably normal sideways head slump to me. The only kind that's really worrisome is straight down chin to chest - as in directly down, not off to the side at all. It looks uncomfy, but if he's sleeping like that he can't be that uncomfortable. :thumbsup:

eta: The only seat that my kids haven't had sideways and somewhat down slump in is the MA because it's narrower in the shoulder area. I imagine you were used to even less if he's coming out of a blvd, but it really doesn't sound like there's any reason for concern from a technical standpoint. His airway isn't being blocked and he's sleeping just fine. :twocents:

I agree - the sideways slump doesn't bother me. The forward slump does. Even in the MA - when DD was first moved into it, she had quite a sideways slump when sleeping (not so much anymore now that she's bigger).

Firemom - do you think he might catch on to his sister's trick soon by putting a blankie between his head and the side wing?

firemomof3

Thanks for all the support, you do have a point that if he was REALLY uncomfortable he wouldn't be sleeping! Maybe I'll just "sleep on it" for a while before deciding for certain. A long car ride is scheduled for Sunday so that'll be a good test. :thumbsup:

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Thanks for all the support, you do have a point that if he was REALLY uncomfortable he wouldn't be sleeping! Maybe I'll just "sleep on it" for a while before deciding for certain. A long car ride is scheduled for Sunday so that'll be a good test. :thumbsup:

Good idea. Let us know how it goes!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I definitely will. I asked them about the other things, but haven't heard back. Overall, I really like the seat and Emily told me it was very comfortable, but this problem could be a show stopper when it comes to me recommending it. It does no good to be a high weight seat if you can't get a high weight kid under the harness.

I have yet t hear anything either :(. Poor CS IME :mad:

4boysmom

I tried DD in a True Fit and she was just about of room with a 15" torso. For comparison, she is on the second-to last slot in the Nautilus. I don't think you will find it offers him much room if any if he is on the top slot of the GN.

Ya luckily it isn't for him (and he is the oldest kiddo). I was just going to test to see if perhaps there was a different style or a fluke. I also have a nearly 5 yo 44 pounder and a 3.5 yo 33 pounder as well as a 19 mo high 20's pounder who is currently using a marathon until it expires in Sept and hopefully it will fit one of the other boys for a bit because I have lost the HUGS so it has to stay rfing.

New grandma

I have 2 January 08 TF and neither one has the two loops by the splitter, just one long loop. Also, for Firemom, I called Learning Curve and was told that the insert had to be removed at 22 lbs. but the infant pillow portion could still be used until the child was tall enough to use the toddler pillow on the removable headrest. Hopefully that will help your son.

4boysmom

Misty morning is here and:
*My oldest fits in it strapwise just barely (there seems to be a snag/pop that it was caught on in the strap height that it popped off) but he has no shirt on so it is debateable whether or not he would fit in it after eating or with any sort of shirt on.
*DOM is 1/08, I think that is on par or even earlier than what others have said they have gotten for this pattern.
* Mine has the double loop people have been talking about connected to the y plate but it was on the lowest/longest setting already.

I haven't got a chance to install yet as DH is not home with the van. The harness seems like it may be sticky (which I couldn't wrap my mind around what "sticky" meant when others used the term but it does seem to apply...)

I am not as impressed as I had hoped I would be. The height adjustment thing is sort of weird since it is so open.

Gotta go kids killing eachother!!!

tlj

I have 2 January 08 TF and neither one has the two loops by the splitter, just one long loop.

Can you take a couple of pictures of what this is about (with and without the two loops)...I have no idea what I am looking for and have a Misty Morning TF with a 1/08 DOM.

Thanks!

aisraeltax

i have some issues w/ RF'ing the TF (in another thread) and just wanted to pop in here and say that i called CS this am at 8 am EST (not my preferable time but it was during travel to school) and got through really quick. Just wanted to let you guys know that maybe its better to try first thing in the am before they get swamped. I sent 2 emails last week with NO response. *shrug*

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
i have some issues w/ RF'ing the TF (in another thread) and just wanted to pop in here and say that i called CS this am at 8 am EST (not my preferable time but it was during travel to school) and got through really quick. Just wanted to let you guys know that maybe its better to try first thing in the am before they get swamped. I sent 2 emails last week with NO response. *shrug*
They are brutally slow with email responses! You will likely eventually get a response, it will just be weeks later. Here's my timeline:

email sent Feb 28 -> response received Mar 18
email sent Mar 17 -> response received Apr 3

And both emails started out with apologizing for the delay in response.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC