Question Alpha Omega Elite recall

U

Unregistered

Today in the mail I received letters that my Alpha Omega Elite car seats were recalled. The issue is that there is a potential for the harness adjustment strap to loosen during use, which would then loosen the straps. Their fix is to send a small vial of oil along with the letter, and we are supposed to squeeze 2 drops of the oil on each side of the Center Front Adjuster (CFA) pivot pin, press and release the CFA 5 times, then pull on the shoulder straps to see if they hold or slip. If they hold, it is all fixed.

I have a couple of questions about this...
First of all, maybe I'm just a paranoid mom but this fix just doesn't seem to do it for me. Is there anywhere I could see "proof" (study results, etc) that this will really work? Would you feel comfortable with this fix since it's what they say to do?

Also, I have three car seats (twins!)...all the same affected model, but only one of them is actually within the affected dates. Should I also oil the other two just as a precaution or do you think I don't have to/shouldn't since they were an earlier manufacture date?

Thanks for any help or advice on this!
Mary Ellen

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi Mary Ellen. Manufacturers aren't required to release any proof that their fixes actually fix the problem, but I don't recall (heh) a seat needing to be recalled a second time because the original fix didn't work. Sometimes the fix is a PITB, like the strap to keep the Evenflo infant seat on its base that has to be attached/unattached each ride, but the manufacturer does test each fix.

Since you received an official letter from Dorel, just follow their instructions. There's some confusion about which seats are involved because Dorel follows such an overly complicated naming scheme for their carseats that putting a seat name to a model number is difficult. Don't oil a seat that isn't involved in the recall--we don't know what manufacturing change was made, but there was one and you may make that particular seat unsafe by oiling it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC