Airplane and LONG car ride - 4 yr old & 20 mo.

FedBaby

I'm flying to Grandma & Grandpa's alone with my 4.3 year old DD (avg. size -- probably right at 40 lb, but not quite 40" yet) and my 20 month old DS (short but heavy for his age), and then we'll be driving a really long way (8 hours + time for stops). They have a 2007 Toyota Sequoia, but the back row of seats was taken out to make room for their two big dogs (free to roam in the car I assume...).

G'ma & G'pa have an Evenflo "5 point harness" they've used with the other grandchild who was 4-5 (I assume it's a combination car seat, but waiting to hopefully get more details...). I was planning on simply taking the Cosco Scenera for DS to use RFing in the cars and then using G'ma & G'pa's combination car seat for DD, but will we fit? --update: see below

Biggest questions is what to do for the really long car ride? Will I (5'5", 130 lb) fit with DD & DS in the backseat of the Sequoia with any inexpensive car seat combinations? Should I look into maybe the Safety 1st Go Hybrid? Or using the Ride Safer Vest for DD? My concern with both of those is if she falls asleep in the car (which I assume she will give the amount of time we'll be in the car). Or the Evenflo Maestro? But how long will we be able to use it? But my absolute biggest concern is if we get there and can't all fit!

We also just picked up the Harmony Defender 360 3-in-1, so I could take that with us, but I'd really rather not have to carry two car seats through the airport. (I could probably order one and have it delivered and then leave it with G'ma & G'pa for future use, but we don't visit that often...) Also, I tried it out in a VW Passat Station Wagon (and Prius) together with the RFing seat (both Scenera and Britax Marathon) but could not get them to fit tightly next to each other, and while I can still squeeze in between in the Passat (no way in the Prius except for maybe 1 mile in an emergency) there was a little less room than between the Britax Marathon FF with the Scenera RF. (The Harmony sits directly on the seat whereas the Britax is raised up and out a bit, so I gain a little space to squeeze under the Britax that I lose with the Harmony.)

Additional note: We do not visit G'ma & G'pa very often. However I do fly with the kids to visit my sister. That involves a 2 hour car ride in a Prius, and it would be great to be able to fit me in the back with the kids in the Prius if DH came with us instead of having to rent a car... (We were able to do this with the Scenera FF and the Graco snugride without the base back when DS was really little...)

Thanks for the help!!!

UPDATE 5/1 2:30pm: Apparently G'ma & G'pa have an "Evenflo Chase LX." I looked and DD was 40.25" tall and 37.5 lb at check up in January. Therefore I assume she'll be too heavy to use the Evenflo LX harnessed and only technically be able to use it as a booster. That means I'll have to bring a carseat for both kids... SUGGESTIONS??? We currently own Britax Marathon , Cosco Scenera, and Harmony 3-in-1 (which I may or may not keep). Cosco Scenera was purchased for travel and I like that it's lighter weight for travel. We'd be willing to purchase another inexpensive car seat for DD for travel as well.
I've traveled alone with both kids and two carseats through airports before but would prefer not having to do it again since DD should be fine without carseat on the airplane. But if I check a seat, I'm concerned of what shape the carseat arrives on the other end -- particularly if it's an expensive seat, so I may simply have to use take both carseats through the airport. (And then DD will have to sit next to a stranger on part of the flight home (2:2 seat configuration on the 2 hour leg of our flight home).)

Last edited:
ADS

newyorkDOC

I'd bring the RSTV just in case.

Forget fitting in back of a Prius with 2 seats. We have a 2010 and I'm 5'0" and like 100lbs and I'd have to sit sort of sideways on one butt cheek to fit (which wouldn't be safe). And side by side doesn't really work bc the center is so narrow that most car seats won't fit bc you can't access the belt stalk.

HappyHoo

I'd probably try a Radian and take it on the plane for the 4 yo - my DD was that age when we flew and the Radian really helped on the plane with her behavior.

I was able to get the Radian and Scenera through the airport in my stroller while I wore my DS in the Ergo. I have pics if you'd like to see them. I did have DH to help - but feel I could have managed it alone too if we'd had less carry on bags.

The Sequoia is pretty big I believe so hopefully you will be able to fit all 3 of you in the backseat okay. You might try searching for the 3 across thread to see if anyone has any posts for the Sequoia to find what two seats can fit next to each other easily.

Stelvis

I'd try to get a picture of the car seat grandma and grandpa have. If it's a Nautilus, just use that. But be warned it could be a Comfortsport, which your kids may both be too tall for. I would not haul a Radian through an airport for a 4 year old if there's a seat waiting for you at your destination. The 4 year old should be fine on the plane with just the seatbelt.

FedBaby

NOTE: I edited my original post -- apparently they have an Evenflo, not a Graco. How can I tell them how to figure out what model it is?

FedBaby

NOTE: I fount out it's a Evenflo Chase LX which only harnesses to 40 lb. Therefore we've got to bring a carseat for both kids. I assume the Cosco Scenera is fine for DS (that's what we've always used for flying). But I have to figure out what to do for DD and ensure that we'll all fit in the middle row of the Sequoia.

Adding to the challenge, the first leg of our flight home has a 2:2 seat arrangement on the airplane so if DD's in a carseat, she'll have to sit at the window next to a stranger. She's outgoing, but even so, I don't think she'll like that option at all...

Please bring on the suggestions for carseat for DD!

aept

Can you weigh your dd? She might still be 37-40 lbs and ok for the seat at grandma's. That would save a lot of hassle. My kids sometimes stay the same weight for months on end. I would use a seat right up to the weight limit. Make her ride with her shoes off if you need to!
If she's too close to 40 for your comfort (or over), perhaps the rstv would be my choice. Because it is packable, and then she could hopefully just be right across the aisle from you on the flight with the 2 and 2 seating.
It would also come in handy in the Prius in the future and would pay for itself (eventually) in being able to avoid the rental car.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

FedBaby

Can you weigh your dd? ... My kids sometimes stay the same weight for months on end....

Perhaps the rstv would be my choice. ... It would also come in handy in the Prius in the future and would pay for itself (eventually) in being able to avoid the rental car.

I'll definitely weigh her. Great idea!

Is the RSTV safe if she sleeps in the car?

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

aept

I have not personally used a rstv, but my understanding is that it is basically a wearable 5-point harness. So I think it would be safe to sleep in. However I cannot attest to it's "comfy ness" - sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

newyorkDOC

There's a head rest thing on the 2nd version. I've never used it but it'd probably be ok to keep a kids head up. I'd say its more akin to sleeping in a booster though bc you can't slouch. We only use ours for short taxi rides so DD has never slept in it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC