Advocate or Rainier? (Advocate G4 and Click Tight comparision pics post 13)

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
I am undecided between these two seats (The britax Advocate G4 or the Diono Rainier). I gave them both a try at Buy Buy Baby today, and I like and dislike different things on each seat. My ultimate goal is to rear-face to around 4 years old. Any advice on which seat might be a better fit for us? Have an opinion on which is better/lasts longer/etc. I don't have to worry about space in my vehicle. My guy is 15 months and average sized. Here he is in both seats (I realize the headrest on the Diono is not adjusted correctly, and the straps also needed to go up one more slot).

IMG_7418480x640_zps77db04c4.jpg

IMG_7421480x640_zpsd03bdc0e.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Re: Advocate or Rainier?

If you want to rear-face to around 4, I don't think the G4 Britax seats are going to work well for you. Your child looks decently tall in the seat, and once his head is within 1" of the top of the *shell* (not the movable head rest) he will have to turn forward facing.

If you weren't impressed with either of these seats, have you taken a look at the new Britax Advocate Click-Tight? It has a lot more height capacity and its features are quite different. Maybe that would be the right seat for you.

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member

Thanks. How much more height does the click tight offer? I am leaning towards the Rainier right now. It's on sale and that makes it a good deal less than the newer version of the advocate.

Are the pads on the Diono optional rear-facing like the britax seats, or are they required?

Brigala

CPST Instructor

I am not sure of the exact numbers, but whereas the older Advocate is one of the shorter (certainly not the shortest) rear-facing convertibles in its class, the ClickTight Advocate is pretty much the tallest now. And forward-facing, it has an approximately 19" harness height so it should last pretty much every kid until booster age.

The Rainier is also a great seat, but you have to be happy with the seat you have. :) Which one will last longer for rear-facing really depends on whether you need more height capacity (Advocate ClickTight) or weight capacity (Rainier). The Advocate CT will almost definitely last longer forward facing, since very few kids will still fit in a Rainier when they reach 65 lbs but most children will make it to that weight in the Advocate CT.

Personally, I love the Diono seats, but not everyone does. It's really true that there's no "right" seat for everyone.

You might want to visit our Shopping forums for some help locating good sales/deals on the seat you ultimately decide you want.

seb3244

Thanks. How much more height does the click tight offer? I am leaning towards the Rainier right now. It's on sale and that makes it a good deal less than the newer version of the advocate. Are the pads on the Diono optional rear-facing like the britax seats, or are they required?

I emailed britax this today about the britax G3 advocate and the new click tight advocate. I will post back what they reply. If the rear facing height is higher in the new advocate I will sell the one I have & get a new advocate.

We have a G3 britax advocate and it is nice but don't think it will get dd to rear face until age 4. She is 27months (usually I just say 2 but feel months are important here) and rear facing and in the 90%. I could post a pic of her in it tomorrow. She does still have room to grow.

I read on another thread that had a study posted about side impact ratings and the britax advocate beat the radian and I am thinking it is because the side walls are deeper and thicker on the advocate. Since side impact crashes are the most deadly I wanted the most car seat around my child's head. So that is why I chose advocate.

seb3244

So britax got back to me and I will post their reply next. I guess I have the G4 model not the G3 model because based off of their email the G3 you can only rear face to 20lbs. Is this right does anyone know? I feel like that might not be true.

Here is their email

"All of our seats meet or exceed federal standards. The ClickTight installation technology does improve the ease of installation, which helps to ensure a tight installation each and every time.

The RF seated height for BLVD & ADV CT is about 28” vs 24” on G3/G4 and the MAR CT is about 26” vs 24” on G3/G4. ADVOCATE G4 INFORMATION: ADVOCATE

G3 INFORMATION:

I JUST EDITED THIS TO INCLUDE THE IMAGES THE BRITAX LADY GAVE ME

Last edited:

nataliem257

So britax got back to me and I will post their reply next. I guess I have the G4 model not the G3 model because based off of their email the G3 you can only rear face to 20lbs. Is this right does anyone know? I feel like that might not be true.
Here is their email

"All of our seats meet or exceed federal standards. The ClickTight installation technology does improve the ease of installation, which helps to ensure a tight installation each and every time. The RF seated height for BLVD & ADV CT is about 28” vs 24” on G3/G4 and the MAR CT is about 26” vs 24” on G3/G4.

ADVOCATE G3 INFORMATION:

ADVOCATE G4 INFORMATION:

Well their product tables aren't showing up when I copy and paste I will try something else soon so I can get them to show up

The G3s RF to 40 pounds, not 20.

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member

I am not seeing how the Advocate Click Tight is any taller than the G4. Here they are side by side today, pics taken this morning at Buy Buy Baby. Unless Britax now allows you to rearface to the height of the headrest and not the seat, I am failing to see how it is going to give a child any more rearfacing height.

Click tight on the left, G4 of the right. The G4 looks taller due to the base.
IMG_7453640x480_zps0dd7b5e1.jpg

IMG_7454640x480_zps1a32ec8a.jpg

It does look taller with the headrest extended.
IMG_7455640x480_zpsb9200735.jpg

15 month old in G4
IMG_7418480x640_zps77db04c4.jpg

15 month old in click tight.
IMG_7457480x640_zps1121f36b.jpg

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
Excellent! Thanks. That makes a huge difference and makes the seat worth the extra $. Leaning towards the Advocate Click Tight now.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
That rear-facing label is poorly worded, federally mandated language. It means that you can use it ONLY in the rear-facing position for kids under 20 lbs, but it doesn't mean you can't use it beyond 20 lbs. if allowed. Basically saying: If you kid is under 20 lbs, you MUST use it RF, no forward-facing for kids under 20 lbs.

MyLittleTyke

Senior Community Member
Thanks everyone for your help. I took advantage of Britax's current sale and ordered an Advocate ClickTIght in Tahoe (love the blue).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC