Question Acadia Captain's Chairs & Lap Belt w/Booster

wifebot

I am looking for the next seat(s) for my son, who is 2 1/2 years old, weighs 28 lbs and is 36" tall. I have a daughter who is turning one and is outgrowing her infant seat (a Graco Snugride - she's very petite), who I will be putting in his Britax Roundabout 55's (rear facing).

For my 2009 Acadia, I was considering the Graco Nautilus (and Argos) or the Britax Frontier, as both have the 5 point harness & then can be used as a highback booster. This was in hopes of not having to buy anything more than two more boosters down the line for him when she goes into the seat(s) we are about to purchase.

We tried them out and both seats fit well in the 2nd row captain's chairs (without having to remove the headrest) and would be fine while using the 5 point harness. However, when using it as a booster with the lap belt it is nearly impossible to buckle in without shoving the seat around (which I can't imagine doing every time we get in or out of the car). I know they make seatbelt extenders, but they are deemed unsafe to use.

Are there any suggestions for a (perhaps more narrow) carseat/booster that works well in the bucket seats of an Acadia with the lap belt?

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I moved your post to the more general forum for carseat help. Hopefully you'll get more exposure here!

I think I understand the problem you're having. When I had my Sienna, it was very difficult for my kids to buckle the Frontier in because it was kind of a bulky seat as a booster. I encourage you to consider a carseat that's best for your ds's age/size *right now* vs. what he'll be using as a booster in 4 years. Dedicated belt positioning boosters, like the Britax Parkway and Graco TurboBooster, are generally easier to buckle in, depending on the vehicle.

Carseats can add up, but if you get a Nautilus or Frontier now, your dd will be able to use it later after your ds transfers to a booster. Your child will probably use a booster seat longer than any other seat he's used so far, so that's why I wouldn't worry now about using a combo seat--new seats will be on the market then.

christineka

I also have a sienna and have never understood why anyone would want to use a combo seat as a booster because they are all super difficult to buckle. I would just get whatever car seat will last the longest as a car seat and plan to buy a dedicated booster down the line. Dedicated boosters sit lower and are slimmer, so easier to buckle.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At 2.5 years and 28 pounds I would encourage you to look for a rear facing seat for him, not a combination seat. Or leave him where he is and buy your daughter a new rear facing seat for her. It's very possible that the Roundabout you have will get your son to a mature booster age and he can go directly from that to something like a Turbobooster. But I wouldn't (and I haven't, my 2.5 year old is 24 pounds and rear facing) turn a child that size forward facing.

Wendy

wifebot

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the combo seats might not work out. I had ordered a Recaro ProSport to try that out as well, and it can't be buckled because the latch buckle is in the way. Guess we'll be heading back to the store to try out other seats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC