70+lb, just barely 3 y.o.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I have seen it happen, public forum so not a lot of details, but child was wearing 7-8 clothes at 18-24 months old. Was wearing 14-16s at 4 :eek:

Was in a booster at 2, as there were no harnessed seats available to that weight at that time... Out of booster by 4 as was too wide to fit in one :(

Parents put child on a full diet, and did all sorts of medical tests, they found nothing wrong with child but still gained excessively :( Child is active, not a couch potato...My skinny kids eat 2-3 times more than this child!

Another child we know was 70+ lbs on 6th birthday, is now almost 120lbs at 7th birthday. Over-eating to blame there though child is active in sports.

ADS
L

LuciaBella

OK lets just all step back and not pass judgement. This child could have a growth disorder or something wrong with his/her hormones. Or, the parents could be neglectful. Regardless, the OP just wanted to know what would good seat suggestions be.

I would also recommend the Frontier 85. Or try the ParkwaySG.

kidnurse

ITA that the situation is neglectful at the very least, however it is not the kind of thing that CPS commonly looks into. These things are considered "life style" choices by CPS far and wide, although I have heard rare instances of CPS looking into cases of severe childhood obesity. Technically by legal standards it is not "abuse" to plop your kid in front of the TV all day, although personally by my own standards it is.

It is rare that my child and this child are in the car together but the thought of this child becoming a projectile in an accident, there are not even words for the horror that makes me feel. My child is no peanut, at 33 lbs but this child is still more than double the weight of mine, than add in the forces of an accident, and it is horrifying, for both children. Is submarining something that occurs due to height or weight? I mean, could this child have issues with submarining in a HBB even though she is 70+lbs? She is big, but not tall, and I don't have a real clear understanding/mental picture of how submarining works?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Last event I did, I met a 135# 5yo. She has gained 15# in the past 2 mos and already has heart failure. :( Mom seems concerned but it doesn't seem they're doing much for her. She left in nothing even though it's illegal b/c she fit into nothing.

kidnurse

Oh my gosh, that is so sad. :(

I worry about DS being too big at 33 lbs and just turned 2, 3 weeks ago. But his height and weight are proportionate so the doctor is not worried about it at all, he is at 90% for both height and weight. I am so glad though that he fits in a carseat, I would be seriously monitoring his food intake if he could not fit in a carseat.

Are there any loophole in the carseat laws for children who are technically just too big to fit in any carseats?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Some states have laws that state age OR weight, here we don't have that. It's 6yo to be out of a CRS. No way she'd get pulled over and questioned about said child's age I don't think. Child was tall, but more like 7yo tall, not 135# tall.

Jocey'sMommy

I think the neglect aspect for me lies in the fact that mom doesn't seem to be bothered, what if there is a medical reason?? Mom isn't worried and the weight could cause medical issues if not already. That is why I would call DCS they can help if there are issues that will help the child and put the child on the radar and offer help and education to the momma who might just be in denial. Also, you never know if there are other things going on in a home when there is that attitude of not caring that your child may be in serious danger with her health.

Again, I also would talk to your daycare provider because she holds a LOT of liability by driving this child around in her car if she cannot get mom on board with something at the very least legal. Depending on state law a frontier or recaro might be the only legal options. In others a well fitting HBB might do the trick. I think this is more a legallity issue than anything else at this point because mom obviously could care less about best practice or even the best that can be done practice. I am surprised the Harness straps on the Dorel seat fit around her, my tiny 3yr old has a summit as a spare and we are about out of harness on that for her now :/ ??

the mom might be up on things and just making light on the situation out of embarrassment as well but that is why DCS is there, for people to report situations that don't seem to be ideal or healthy. DCS can offer mom programs and support even if they don't intervein in other ways :) This is not about the mom but about the little girl and it couldn't hurt I don't think.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC