7 passenger SUV with tether anchors...ideas?

J-max

CPST Instructor
No problem. BTW, the tahoe/yukon is basically the same just no cargo room behind the 3rd seat (that makes it about 3 feet shorter).

I have the bench in the third row (so it has 2 seats of LATCH, but 3 tether anchors), but usually have the pass seat folded for 3rd row entry - so still only 2 seats in the middle. (But with the bench you can get ANY 3 across, I have done 2 regents and a BLVD). Right now, I have a seatbelt passenger behind the driver, a boulevard or radian RF in the middle, and passenger side seat folded. The third row has only 1 tether anchor that can be used by EITHER the center or drivers side position. i currently have a Regent in that drivers side outboard and a Monterrey booster in the passenger side outboard. I have done 3 across in the back, but it is only in a pinch and cozy. Not sure yet how I am going to configure 5. I probably have to either get rid of the beloved regent or go back to all RF in the back row (I did that when I was babysitting my niece and nephew last year)

As for tether all the seats, I will tether anything that can be, LOL. Only FF harness seats can be tethered (I only have 1 right now). Right now you have 2, right? How close to changing to a booster is your #1 and how close to outgrowing RF is your #3? Will they all need tethers at the same time? and #4 is a long time form needing a tether, and most likely #1 and possibly #2 will be out of a harnessed seat by that time.

One of the major things i don't like about the LATCH in a suburban/Yukon/large Chevy SUV, is that they put the LATCH int eh outboard passenger and center seats of the middle row - the outboard passenger seat is the one that fold for access to the rear seat. SO you have to either have the kids climb over or not use that LATCH position. That really doesn't matter if you are getting the captains chairs, as they both have LATCH, but I just wanted you to know.

ADS

mpk3

Right now you have 2, right? How close to changing to a booster is your #1 and how close to outgrowing RF is your #3? Will they all need tethers at the same time? and #4 is a long time form needing a tether, and most likely #1 and possibly #2 will be out of a harnessed seat by that time.

Yes, I have two children (age 6 and 42lbs, age 4 and 40lbs) and both are harnessed in Frontier 85 booster seats. I think my oldest is almost ready for booster mode, right? Baby #3 is age 2 and 23lbs.

What do you think my options are considering their ages/sizes and only 3 tethers in large SUVs? (Also, I plan to have captain's chairs in row 2.)

The third row has only 1 tether anchor that can be used by EITHER the center or drivers side position.

Wow, that's helpful to have as an option. Is this only applicable for a Suburban? Do any of the other SUVs I've listed allow this? (Yukon, Armada/Infiniti, etc)

Ltaylor

2011 GMC Acadia has all of that ! *I think*

We rented one when we drove to IN. We didnt use the 3rd row seating for carseats so im not 100% sure on the LATCH, but it DOES have 2 tether anchors on the back of the 3rd row seating.

Has captain chairs with LATCH and tether on each. The 3rd row seating DOES accomodate 3, it has 3 seat belts and we did get 3 adults back there. Me, SIL and grandma. So if it can fit 3 adults, I would imagine that it can fit 3 seats puzzled right.

The 2nd row captain seats slide forward and backward as well. And incase you have to put a non movabale seat in both captain chairs, there is enough room (provided that they arent RFing seats) to squeeze in and get to the 3rd row.

ETA, It might actually have 3 tether anchors in the 3rd row. You can see one of the tether anchors in the picture.
The FR85 is in the 2nd row and we have the 3rd row laying down.

PC190056.jpg

I LOVED it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC