6 year old backless or highback?

charlottek

My 6 year old has been in the diono radian and its getting a little snug as far as narrowness. Plus the headrest doesnt really click into place anymore, so I pull it up to the proper height, and it wiggles its way back down so the straps are hurting her. The buckle between her legs are also bothering her alot. Time for a booster.

I have bought and returned a couple highback boosters,but I am finding them very wobbly?? Also kinda narrow around her shoulders. The first one was a turbo booster and I hated it. After a few days I ended up taking off the back part and letting her use just the bottom. It felt much safer that way, which is weird.

Is she okay in a backless booster, or is a high back better for her? Any suggestions on a sturdy highback? We have an oddyssey, leather seats. I just felt like these high back boosters fell over sideways a lot, slipped around. I dont know. Help!! lol

She is 6y old 49inches 54 lbs

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's what boosters do. They're no usually connected to the car at all, and those that have lower connectors still don't have a top tether to hold the head still. So they wiggle and they move.

A backless will protect her, but a high back is ideal. It positions the shoulder belt more comfortably so she's not tempted to put it behind her back or under her arm. It gives her someplace to rest her head when she's tired. And it has shell around her to remind her to hold still, which is a nice thing to have going from a harnessed and shelled seat to just a booster.

A steady and sturdy booster that likely will not tip is the Clek Oobr. You could also look at the Recaro Performance Booster or Britax Parkway, but I suspect you'll find them wobbly if you're expecting them to be tight like the Radian.

Wendy

charlottek

Yea, I would of course prefer a highback, and I know they arent as sturdy as a convertible seat by any means. I know they wobble, but I just thought this was on the extreme side of "tippiness"?

When she would sit in the turbobooster it would like lean side to side, like at an angle. It almost was like it was more sloppy and unsafe than just the backless. I cant think of a good way to describe it. Like she was leaning up against something that wasnt made for her body. idk. She would just be sitting there still, with her seatbelt on, and it was leaning?

I was just wondering if there was a booster than would wrap around her better, maybe not lean over from the weight of her just sitting in it, etc.

aeormsby

What vehicle do you have and which position are you using the booster? We haven't had any tippy issues (I know a lot of people had that problem with the Recaro Probooster) but I could see that happening easily in the center seat of lots of vehicles where it's humped up and narrow.

For HBB's we have a Parkway SGL (not the newest version, it's about 3.5 years old), a Recaro Vivo (discontinued), a Recaro Performance Booster and we use one of the original Frontiers as a booster. They are all somewhat heavier boosters I think and all but the Vivo are latched in. The Performance booster has a very wide base. It's not tippy at all but can be hard to buckle in some vehicles because it's so wide.

So if possible I'd try putting the booster in different positions in your vehicle to see if that helps to start.

katymyers

There are certainly boosters out there that will be more supportive for her than a Turbobooster, you can also get boosters with lower LATCH anchors that can provide a sturdier feel in the vehicle (just keep in mind their only real purpose is to secure the booster without the seatbelt when it's unoccupied to prevent it becoming a projectile). Boosters can be tricky with different ones fitting certain kids and vehicles completely differently, in some cases they can require some experimentation to find one that works well for you. Do you have a baby store nearby that allows testing seats in your car before buying? If not, online stores like Amazon have great return policies that allow you to send back anything that doesn't work out.

charlottek

Thanks! I have an Odyssey. Right now we have moved her to the 3rd row on the side. But I might have to move her else where. shes been getting car sick/headaches since the move to the back. She was in the 2nd row middle in her 5 point.

We have a buy buy baby, but I was actually suprosed at their lack of in store selection. I am bummed the monterey was discontinued, based on reviews it seemed like exactly what we needed.

Athena

So if possible I'd try putting the booster in different positions in your vehicle to see if that helps to start.

That's exactly what I was thinking because I've seen that when in a middle position, while the outboard fit it great.

I've just been booster shopping, so I'll share from my experiences in hopes it might help you. I prefer deeper boosters with latch for everyday use and it sounds like you'd be more comfortable with that too. We've had both and if she's squished in the turbo, the 2013-14 Parkway might fit better, plus it has nice big sides and latches. Like Wendy said, the Oobr has rigid latch. I loved how it secured and it's very nice, but I didn't like the fit and couldn't justify the cost given the limited room for growth for my tall kids. The new Recaro booster looks nice, but the latch doesn't tighten, so it might not provide the secure feeling you're looking for. If she still fits by torso height in the radian, then you probably have options we don't, but that's what I can share. HTH.

charlottek

That's exactly what I was thinking because I've seen that when in a middle position, while the outboard fit it great.

I've just been booster shopping, so I'll share from my experiences in hopes it might help you. I prefer deeper boosters with latch for everyday use and it sounds like you'd be more comfortable with that too. We've had both and if she's squished in the turbo, the 2013-14 Parkway might fit better, plus it has nice big sides and latches. Like Wendy said, the Oobr has rigid latch. I loved how it secured and it's very nice, but I didn't like the fit and couldn't justify the cost given the limited room for growth for my tall kids. The new Recaro booster looks nice, but the latch doesn't tighten, so it might not provide the secure feeling you're looking for. If she still fits by torso height in the radian, then you probably have options we don't, but that's what I can share. HTH.
so what did you end up going with? Shes sooo tall, so She was starting to outgrow the radian anyways. Wemight be in the same boat :)

Athena

so what did you end up going with? Shes sooo tall, so She was starting to outgrow the radian anyways. Wemight be in the same boat :)

I should clarify that last year was actually my first time booster shopping, but I've been at it again, exploring the new options. We did keep the turbo as an extra/travel seat and it did fit my slim DD1 very well that year when she was 6, but not at 7.5. We chose the Parkway SGL (love the latch) and lucked out that, after outgrowing the harness, our Frontier fit great in booster mode as her other main seat. She has the previous model of Parkway, but I really like the new model, enough that I'm considering replacing her 2012 with that. My over 49" 6yo is still harnessed in her Frontier, but I've started to try her in boosters. I'd like to have some variety, but so far I haven't come up with anything I like more than the Parkway in the taller options. We did try the Monterey last year, but it was incompatible with our vehicle. I wish there were more tall options that latch. HTH. Feel free to ask if I can answer any other questions.

charlottek

I should clarify that last year was actually my first time booster shopping, but I've been at it again, exploring the new options. We did keep the turbo as an extra/travel seat and it did fit my slim DD1 very well that year when she was 6, but not at 7.5. We chose the Parkway SGL (love the latch) and lucked out that, after outgrowing the harness, our Frontier fit great in booster mode as her other main seat. She has the previous model of Parkway, but I really like the new model, enough that I'm considering replacing her 2012 with that. My over 49" 6yo is still harnessed in her Frontier, but I've started to try her in boosters. I'd like to have some variety, but so far I haven't come up with anything I like more than the Parkway in the taller options. We did try the Monterey last year, but it was incompatible with our vehicle. I wish there were more tall options that latch. HTH. Feel free to ask if I can answer any other questions.

i might wait a little longer to try the cambria. It looks pretty good. But since its a new seat, there arent any reviews yet. Who knew booster shopping would be so hard!! ugh lol

Thank you for all your help!

Athena

i might wait a little longer to try the cambria. It looks pretty good. But since its a new seat, there arent any reviews yet. Who knew booster shopping would be so hard!! ugh lol

Thank you for all your help!

I've found boosters to be by far the hardest. I had no idea.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC