5 pt booster and convertible with no top tether?

1sttimemom

Hi! We were just rear-ended and I need to replace car seats so I have some questions. I had 38# 4YO in FF Sunshine Radian which I could move from the middle row in 07 Toyota 4runner where there is a top tether anchor to the 3rd row jump seats where there is no top tether anchor (I had to remove/replace the extra safety piece but at least it was an option to not top tether and utilize the 3rd row if need be). She rides in a Frontier in our other vehicle and while I love the seat, I know it has to be top tethered, which is not always possible in the 4runner. My understanding is the Frontier SICT does not need to be top tethered, is this correct? If so, is there an extra adjustment as w/the Radian when I don't top tether? Or as another option, would a new Diono Radian be the same as the Sunshine where I can remove the piece to use without top tether when I need to move her to the 3rd row? Price is most likely not an issue, as I believe the insurance will be replacing my seats. That brings me to my 25# 2 YO who is RF in both vehicles in Britax Marathons. Is there a convertible seat for him that would not need to be top tethered once he is FF so we have the option to put in him in 4runner 3rd row if need be (not for another year but just thinking ahead since I'm getting new seats now). I love the Marathons and my instruction booklet just says "Britax recommends top tethers be used", but they are '08 and '09 and I wasn't sure if the new models need to be top tethered when FF? If so, is there another convertible seat that doesn't have to be? Thank you!

ADS

zactayaus

Just wanted to say that no FF seat "has" to be top tethered (it's just highly recommended) when installing with seat belt. Some seats do better than others without it (Radians and Nautilus'). Both the Regular Frontier and the SICT do not require TT use with seat belt install.

ETA: Ok, I stand corrected. I just checked the manual for the Frontiers and Britax does say that the tether must be used for children weighing between 65 and 85lbs on the FR85's, but the SICT does not specify this. It was my understanding that all FF seats had to pass testing without the TT in order to pass. So now IDK what to say to that. lol.

Last edited:

1sttimemom

I want to be 100% sure they are as safe as possible. So I wouldn't put them in 3rd row w/o top tether if the manufacturer strongly recommends top tether. Does anyone know if the Diono Radian is still made the same as it was by Sunshine w/the "safe stop" that you remove to use w/o top tether?

zactayaus

I want to be 100% sure they are as safe as possible. So I wouldn't put them in 3rd row w/o top tether if the manufacturer strongly recommends top tether. Does anyone know if the Diono Radian is still made the same as it was by Sunshine w/the "safe stop" that you remove to use w/o top tether?

Yes, I own both a Sunshine Kids and a Diono Radian. They both come with Safe Stop which is to be used with kids who are under 40lbs that are FF with top tether.

1sttimemom

OK so do you think that's the best option then, another Radian? And once she hits 40# I stop using the "safe stop" altogether then? She is actually probably 38-39# now, she hasn't been weighed in a few months. Do I stop the top tether then too, even if she's in the middle where it's available? I was trying to read the manual, but I guess I just don't get it. Thanks for your help! :)

zactayaus

OK so do you think that's the best option then, another Radian? And once she hits 40# I stop using the "safe stop" altogether then? She is actually probably 38-39# now, she hasn't been weighed in a few months. Do I stop the top tether then too, even if she's in the middle where it's available? I was trying to read the manual, but I guess I just don't get it. Thanks for your help! :)

Yes, I think that if you ever have to install without a top tether the Radian is a good choice. Once she hits 40lbs you remove the safe stop but continue using the top tether.

1sttimemom

OK one more question then about the convertible seat. Sounds like it might be good to get 2 Radians so we can continue to use the one Radian when DS is FF w/the no tether option. Only problem is we had a horrible time trying to install the Radian RF so we ended up never using it RF and just saved it until DD was FF. Are the new Diono any easier in install RF bc I plan on keeping him RF til at least 3 or longer, depending on his weight.

zactayaus

OK one more question then about the convertible seat. Sounds like it might be good to get 2 Radians so we can continue to use the one Radian when DS is FF w/the no tether option. Only problem is we had a horrible time trying to install the Radian RF so we ended up never using it RF and just saved it until DD was FF. Are the new Diono any easier in install RF bc I plan on keeping him RF til at least 3 or longer, depending on his weight.

They install just like the older version. However you can now get an angle adjuster for it that helps a ton with most installs. I'd start a thread asking if anyone knows if the angle adjuster will help with the install in your particular vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC