5 car seats in one car???

5under5

We have a dilemma...we need more seats and a new car with the upcoming arrival of our triplets. I've researched for hours and I'm so overwhelmed that I thought I would reach out to the knowledge base here for ideas.

We have DS#1 is 3yo (29lbs, 36in) and DS#2 is 2yo (32lbs, 36in) with 3 girls on the way. The two boys are currently in Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe (same as Marathon I'm told) and we would like to keep if possible but willing to buy new if we have to.

We are trying to decide on a car/car seat combo that will work and we would like any and all car/car seat combo opinions.

We are currently looking at the following cars...

2010/11 Honda Odyssey
2010/11 Toyota Sienna
2010/11 Ford Expedition/ Expedition EL
but we are willing to look at all available options...and we currently don't have a budget to consider so all opinions welcome.

Do we put three in a third row or in the second? If we have them in the second then how do we get the two in the third without pitching them over the rear seat :D ? Can we fit three in the third row? Just so overwhelmed and confused...

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help and great advice!!!

ADS

cookie123

I was going to suggest putting the 3 babies in the middle of an 8 passenger Sienna - not 2011, but I'm not sure you'll be able to get the big kids in the back. Others will be along who will know. And welcome to the board!

JerseyGirl'sMama

I would recommend a minivan over an SUV. Being able to walk to the back and access the 3rd row will be a lifesaver. So having two captains chairs in the middle row and a bench in the third would be my first choice.

skitle1802

Congrats! and Welcome!
I have 5 seats in a 02 Suburban so it is possible. And many people on here have 5-6 seats in 7-8 passenger vehicles.

I agree with the captains chair mini van. You could have the older 2 in the second row and the girls in the third and load them in through the rear liftgate.

Are you considering infant seats or convertibles for the girls?

amyd

How are you planning to transport the infant seats once out of the car? Are you wanting a triple stroller to put the seats in? If so I believe your choice is limited to Peg infant seats.

Oh and don't get a 2011 Sienna. They are quite carseat un-friendly as they have had some LATCH/tether anchors removed and I believe only have 3 tether anchors. The 2010 has five which you may need at some point unless you can keep the girls RFing until the boys are ready for boosters (around 5 or 6), which is entirely possible depending on their size etc.

christineka

I would go with the 2010 sienna, putting the babies in the middle row. Scoot the side seats forward and your older one's should be able to easily climb in the back. Take the headrests off the side seats and you should be able to lean over into the back to buckle the older ones.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I would recommend a minivan over an SUV. Being able to walk to the back and access the 3rd row will be a lifesaver. So having two captains chairs in the middle row and a bench in the third would be my first choice.

Must say I've always been confused by this line of thought. We've had 2 minivans and NO WAY could I even get in them with 5 car seats installed, let alone WALK through to the back (it's even getting to be a tight fit for my 8 yr old, lol). So, if you get a minivan, don't plan on being able to do that, but plan on leaning in as far as you can and reaching back to buckle the kids in the back. You will have to play around with different configurations until you find 1 that works well for you. For awhile I had my baby in his infant seat in the 3rd row. My 2 yr old was rear facing in the captains chair in front of him. With the headrest off of that captains chair, it was easy to lift the infant seat over it and onto the base. So, maybe put 1 of the triplets, the 2 yr old and the 3 yr old in the 3rd row, then the other 2 babies in the 2nd row?

Jocey'sMommy

My Honda Odyssey(02) have sliding bucket seats, I used to babysit a lot and what I would do is move one bucket seat towars the middle to give myself a side row and put older kids in front and younger kids in back, with 3 infant seat (prob best bet being chico keyfit) you could load 3 seats faily easily without going through the back. Also, Combi coccoros would be a great option for the backseat if you wanted to load through the back and not have to worry about getting bucket seats in and out

The Keyfits have a 4lb minimum limit and the Coccoros that are coming out later this year will have either a 3lb or 4lbs minimum. So It would really depend on when you are due since trips come home small ;)

amyd

My Honda Odyssey(02) have sliding bucket seats, I used to babysit a lot and what I would do is move one bucket seat towars the middle to give myself a side row and put older kids in front and younger kids in back, with 3 infant seat (prob best bet being chico keyfit) you could load 3 seats faily easily without going through the back. Also, Combi coccoros would be a great option for the backseat if you wanted to load through the back and not have to worry about getting bucket seats in and out

Coccoros would definitely be my suggestion if you'd like to go right for convertibles. They are narrow and fit tiny babies very well. Better actually then many infant seats. My understanding is that this year's model will have a premie insert available and is to be rated down to 3 or 4lbs.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
If you get a van with captain's chairs that can slide together, I think that might be easiest. Here's what I'd do:

3rd row: 2yo, 3yo, baby
2nd row: baby, baby (next to each other)

You load the 2yo, then 3yo, then climb in to buckle those 2. Then, snap baby into base, and other 2 babies in and you can go.

I think it would be easier to climb back to buckle the older 2 if you can scoot the middle row together (or get a bench). I know with my Captain's chairs, it is almost impossible to get to the back seat (for an adult) with car seats in the chairs.

As for the babies, If you got the Graco SR35, the Chicco KeyFit, or the Onboard35, they should last a good long time (especially since triplets are usually born early and on the small side). The Onboard might be your best bet since it's rated from 4lbs (as is the Chicco). It is less expensive than some (since you need 3, this may be a factor), and has the tallest shell of any of the infant seats. The only thing you may find difficult is a stroller to accomadate the seats. Maybe the Graco SR35 with a Graco duo stroller and a Bjorn or good Wrap or Sling for #3. I think Chicco makes a double stroller also, not sure though. Also not sure if the Safety 1st double strollers will accomadate 2 infant seats or just one.

cookie123

I feel like there's a lot of room to get back there to the 3rd row and buckle with one captains chair out in the 7 passenger Sienna. I'd try to do infant seats with 3 babies, but of course, jmo!

christineka

The problem I see with 3 across the third row- is that it is difficult. Sure, it can be done, but it is difficult, nevertheless. Imo it is easier to just put the babies across the wide 2nd row and put only two car seats in the third row. We all have our own experiences and opinions, though. What's less hard for me may be harder for someone else and vice versa.

urchin_grey

Not sure about specific vehicles, but I'd definitely get something with all bench seating so you have better access to the 3rd row. Then put two of the babies in the 2nd row, the other baby in the 3rd row on the same side as the bench, 2yo in the center, and the 3yo outboard.

This way, you won't have the RF'ing seats in your way and you'll be able to reach all of the seats to buckle/snap in. Even if the twins start off in convertibles (I also recommend the Cocorro!), you can reach all 5 of them to buckle from the 3rd row (just lean over the top of the seat to reach the two in the 2nd row).

5under5

WOW! I knew I came to the right place. Thanks for all the advice and definitely keep them coming!!!

Jennifer - LOL! I remember your conversion van and I think that would be great but I used to work in the service department of a GMC dealer and it I just remember all the service nightmares with conversion vans. I really hope your experience is better than what I have experienced. However, the 9 passenger conversion van is still a viable option and still on the table.:D

lpperry

Can three infant seats even fit 3 across in the back of a Sienna? If not, OP is going to decide whether she wants convertibles or infant seats for the triplets and then decide seating placement.

I have 4-5 rearfacers in my van. I have a bench middle row though, which I love. I would rather have a bench middle row or captain seats that slide together--much easier than walking though the middle.

I like the infant base in the third row driver side. That way, I can slide in the back to buckle someone and then I can lift the infant seat right into the back seat.

If I have 3 in the third row, I can't slide in to buckle the passenger outboard side, so I load through the back hatch. If I am not taking the infant seat in and out, I load all three in the back through the back hatch. It's actually pretty easy.

If I had OP's situation, I would get a van with captain seats that slide together. I would put 2 and 3 year old in the 3rd row on the same side as the middle seats. I would put one baby in an infant seat in that row as well. I would put the other two babies in infant seats in the second row.

Also, is the 2 year old rearfacing? If so, I'd do the same thing, but put the 2 year old outboard so you can buckle him through the hatch. Then put the ff 3 year old in the middle and buckle before you put the infant seat in.

When you pick the car and decide on infant seats vs convertible, I am sure people will have specific suggestions on seats for the older two that will allow you to get 3 across in that third row.

I have a quad stroller and it is huge. It fits in the back of my van even with the back seat pushed a bit back to make room for the 3 rearfacers. I have a 2000 Ford Windstar, by the way. I would much rather have an Odyssey or Sienna!

AmbersMommy

If you get a Expedition and will be needing the 3rd row seat all the time I would get an extended length for sure!!! I love my expedition. I haven't had 5 seats in there but I have had 4. In mine (06) the outboard seats in the 2nd row are easy to flip up which would make it easy to get in the back to help buckle in your older kids.

christineka

Can three infant seats even fit 3 across in the back of a Sienna?

I can't say for sure because I've never tried it, but I'm fairly certain that almost any combo of car seats can work across that middle row. I currently have a regent, rfing true fit, and rfing radian across the middle row. I have had 3 rfing across that row as well. It is a bit difficult to get to the middle seat. It wouldn't be an issue with infant seats if the three seats are always taken out.

In the back of the sienna, one could also fit an infant seat and two radians. I find it difficult to buckle the one in the middle if it is ffing. I'm a pretty short person, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC