Question 4 car seats in '05 Durango

U

Unregistered

I'm due with my 4th in August. I was driving with three car seats across in my '00 Pathfinder, so I'll be doing that in the 2nd row of my Durango until the baby is born. I have 3 seats in the 2nd row and 2 seats, which is a split bench, in the 3rd row. The thing about the 3rd row is that there are no attachments for a top tether :( My 6.5 year old just hit the very top of the shoulder straps in her Sunshine Kids Radian so I'm going to buy her a Graco Highback TurboBooster whenever I can find one on sale since she still has a little time.

So I'm thinking to have her in one of the backseats without a top tether, I'm not even sure if the TurboBooster has a top tether, but also she's the oldest. The baby will not need a top tether in the Graco Snugride 35 so I could have he or she in the back as well. I won't really be able to put 3 across the 2nd row since one side seat needs to be folded forward to let us get into the 3rd row, so 2 in the 2nd row and 2 in the 3rd row seem to be my only option. This will leave my boys, 2 and 4, in the 2nd row equipped for top tethers with their Sunshine Kids Radians. I know a 2yo should optimally be rear facing still but my little boy threw such a fit every time I could hardly get him in his seat and he is so much easier & happier since I faced him forward so that's what works best for our family.

I'm thinking the safest seat positions would be 2nd row driver's side 4yo, middle 2 yo, passenger side folded forward for rear access. However this would leave me putting the infant in the passenger side seat in the 3rd row because I wouldn't be able to reach all the way to the driver's side with an infant seat. Then my then 6.5 yo would be in her Highback TurboBooster in the driver's side 3rd row.

What do you think? I think my only other option would be to put my 4yo on the passenger side 2nd row in order to fold down the driver's side 2nd row seat to put the infant in the driver's side 3rd row and my 6.5yo in the passenger side 3rd row. And I'm not sure that makes anyone any safer really. I respect your advice so I thank you for taking the time to read and consider my situation.

ADS
U

Unregistered

Thanks, so the infant and booster would be good in the rear.

Just trying to think of what configuration would work best. I'm not sure if it matters if I have the infant or my 6yo on the passenger side seat 3rd row. Since it is just has 2 seats in the 3rd row they aren't as close to the outside of the vehicle as a row with 3 seats so it's probably not as important.

I think I'm just nervous moving my 6yo to a booster seat. Not just that but having her on the passenger side, and the infant seat does seem to have more protection but I've never had an infant on the passenger side. Also if I should have my 4yo on the passenger side, it may be more convenient to have him there and use the driver's side to get in and out with a folded seat, but I'd like to do what's safest. So I probably should have him on the driver's and leave the 2nd row passenger side empty for getting in and out.

I know I'm splitting hairs here and they'll be safe anywhere as long as they're seats are in right, but I keep thinking about which seating arrangements in the car would be safest.

Thanks again for all your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC