3yo in backless booster

diaperjoys

We have a friend in a hard place, and car seat use is pretty terrible. When the 3yo does use a seat (told you it was terrible) he's in a harmony literider. I'm told he sits pretty well in it, and I'm also told he's more than 30 lbs.

What are a few reasons I can give this mother that a backless isn't the best idea?

Thanks!

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We have a friend in a hard place, and car seat use is pretty terrible. When the 3yo does use a seat (told you it was terrible) he's in a harmony literider. I'm told he sits pretty well in it, and I'm also told he's more than 30 lbs.

What are a few reasons I can give this mother that a backless isn't the best idea?

Hi there,

Yeah, that's a tough one! When you say she's in a hard place, I take it to mean she's not able to purchase a seat? In that case, it's not just about education it's about finances as well.

For starters, check your state Safe Kids and local coalition Safe Kids to see if there are any check events nearby. Often you can get a free or low cost seat that way and that's would be perfect if the issue is financial. You can always offer to go with!

If you're in a financial position to purchase a seat, maybe she'd accept and use if you're very close?

As for educating, at 30 lbs the child likely doesn't meet the minimum 'box' requirements for the no back booster. Which also might make it illegal depending on your state. Small children under the minimums (even some at or above the minimums) don't get a good belt fit in a no back. They risk submarining under the lap belt. They risk injury from an ill-fitting shoulder belt. They also lack impulse control, so often they are out of position which doesn't give the seat belt the chance to do its job properly. They have too much freedom of movement.

If she really can't afford a seat, and you can't acquire her one immediately, then the best you can do is gently educate for 100% perfect usage of the seat she DOES have and keep working with her to find a better long term solution.

Please feel free to post or pm your exact location and I would be happy to help search for check events, other resources.

1mommy

I would suggest showing her "Belle's gift" on youtube about the death of 3 year old girl who was boostered. Beware its pretty heart wrenching to watch, have some tissues handy.

diaperjoys

Hi there,

Yeah, that's a tough one! When you say she's in a hard place, I take it to mean she's not able to purchase a seat? In that case, it's not just about education it's about finances as well.

For starters, check your state Safe Kids and local coalition Safe Kids to see if there are any check events nearby. Often you can get a free or low cost seat that way and that's would be perfect if the issue is financial. You can always offer to go with!

If you're in a financial position to purchase a seat, maybe she'd accept and use if you're very close?

As for educating, at 30 lbs the child likely doesn't meet the minimum 'box' requirements for the no back booster. Which also might make it illegal depending on your state. Small children under the minimums (even some at or above the minimums) don't get a good belt fit in a no back. They risk submarining under the lap belt. They risk injury from an ill-fitting shoulder belt. They also lack impulse control, so often they are out of position which doesn't give the seat belt the chance to do its job properly. They have too much freedom of movement.

If she really can't afford a seat, and you can't acquire her one immediately, then the best you can do is gently educate for 100% perfect usage of the seat she DOES have and keep working with her to find a better long term solution.

Please feel free to post or pm your exact location and I would be happy to help search for check events, other resources.

Since the kiddo is 3 years and 30 lbs, I think he actually does meet the minimum criteria for the Harmony Literider. Not that it is a good criteria... Most of the time he rides in the backseat of a taxi with his mother & siblings. No seats, no seat belts. She puts the baby in a bucket (no base, loose straps, incorrectly buckled), and the 18 month baby and the 3yo just hang out wherever. So, as far as car seat safety is concerned, this is about as bad as it gets. Life issues are phenomenal, and she has no car.

In the overall picture we're helping her towards stability, while loving on her kids. Can't cure the taxi ride issue yet, but we're going to help her to move forward to obtaining her own vehicle. Once she has a car I can be sure she gets set up with appropriate seats for each of the children, and teach her how to buckle them appropriately.

So, back to the kiddo in the backless - if the lap belt is fitting him beautifully (the literider is a great seat that way), and he's sitting still & meeting the minimum requirements regarding weight and age...what is there left to tell her? Maybe just get her a 5 pt. harness and say it's better because of the overall immaturity of a 3yo...

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Since the kiddo is 3 years and 30 lbs, I think he actually does meet the minimum criteria for the Harmony Literider. Not that it is a good criteria... Most of the time he rides in the backseat of a taxi with his mother & siblings. No seats, no seat belts. She puts the baby in a bucket (no base, loose straps, incorrectly buckled), and the 18 month baby and the 3yo just hang out wherever. So, as far as car seat safety is concerned, this is about as bad as it gets. Life issues are phenomenal, and she has no car.

In the overall picture we're helping her towards stability, while loving on her kids. Can't cure the taxi ride issue yet, but we're going to help her to move forward to obtaining her own vehicle. Once she has a car I can be sure she gets set up with appropriate seats for each of the children, and teach her how to buckle them appropriately.

So, back to the kiddo in the backless - if the lap belt is fitting him beautifully (the literider is a great seat that way), and he's sitting still & meeting the minimum requirements regarding weight and age...what is there left to tell her? Maybe just get her a 5 pt. harness and say it's better because of the overall immaturity of a 3yo...

You may very well be correct about the Literider's minimum. I did not look it up. Assuming that IS true, boo on Harmony! :(

I assume the taxis HAVE seat belts, right?

If it were me, I'd probably work on getting SOMETHING on everyone first. Educate about mom sitting in the front seat with a seat belt. Get a Scenera for the 18 mo old. And work on getting her to USE all the seats she has (including the Literider). Using the 'better when they leave than when they came' approach, if she's belting everyone in in SOMETHING, that's better than right now when she's sometimes using nothing.

If you can get her to buckle everyone up successfully, then you can work on better fitting of the harnesses. I think it's a little unrealistic given what you've written to think that she'll carry out and install 3 car seats, so maybe the Literider is better in that respect. A baseless bucket and Literider are quick and easy to get 'installed'. So that just leaves a seat for the 18 mo old to worry about.

diaperjoys

Thanks. I like the "better when they leave than when they came" approach. Baby steps....

You may very well be correct about the Literider's minimum. I did not look it up. Assuming that IS true, boo on Harmony! :(

I assume the taxis HAVE seat belts, right?

If it were me, I'd probably work on getting SOMETHING on everyone first. Educate about mom sitting in the front seat with a seat belt. Get a Scenera for the 18 mo old. And work on getting her to USE all the seats she has (including the Literider). Using the 'better when they leave than when they came' approach, if she's belting everyone in in SOMETHING, that's better than right now when she's sometimes using nothing.

If you can get her to buckle everyone up successfully, then you can work on better fitting of the harnesses. I think it's a little unrealistic given what you've written to think that she'll carry out and install 3 car seats, so maybe the Literider is better in that respect. A baseless bucket and Literider are quick and easy to get 'installed'. So that just leaves a seat for the 18 mo old to worry about.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC