36# 12 mos old on another board!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Holy Cow! It's nice she wanted to keep him rfing, but he's been in an Evenflo Triumph (30# rfing limit). She wasn't sure if she should keep him rfing since he's so young, but at that weight there's no way. :) My almost 3yo only weighs 34#, I can't imagine! :eek: I told her she was going to need a new seat very soon and to start saving for a Regent.

ADS

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
My 13 month old nephew outwieghs my 4 year old! He's 33 pounds, she's 29. His mom is going to turn him around next weekend (i managed to get her to keep him RFing for a whole extra month :( )

I'd be surprised if he hadnt outgrown it by height at that weight. My nephew is too tall for his old seat (triumph) and had surpassed it 30 lb rfing limit when he was 10 months old. He's defiantly going to need a regent if he keeps going at that rate!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
When my son was little, seats were only rated to 20lbs for rf. He hit that at 4 MONTHS. I kept him rf till he was 9mo...and finally turned him because I got worried he was exceeding it too much. He was 25lbs 12oz at that point. But NO WAY was I turning him ff at 4mo! IMO, it was worth the risk. Fortunately, we never had to test it.

Kay

scatterbunny

Wow, I thought my friend's son was the chunkiest baby I knew, he reached 40 pounds at 20-21 months old. I think this lady's baby will be 40 pounds before 20 months. I hope she is able to get a Regent! My friend has three kids and a small vehicle, so a Regent was out-of-the-question. We found her a used Fisher Price Futura (what Hayley is using in my signature pic) from a trusted source and it worked perfectly. It harnesses to 60 pounds, so hopefully by then they have a new vehicle, or one of the kids will be riding in a lapbelt-only. :(

beebear23

Senior Community Member
Was that on MDC? I read that too. Yikes.. My ds will be 4 next month and just hit 29 pounds. And is too hard for me to carry around! I couldn't imagine having a 1 year old that size!

But hey, at least she did try to keep him rear-facing! That is a good thing.. Too bad he was over the weight limit on the seat though.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
The the ezon harness not an option for you friend? It cant be used till 66 pounds but after that its seems like a great option if a regent isnt an option.

scatterbunny

Are you asking me? No, it isn't an option because the lapbelt-only spot they are dealing with cannot have a tether anchor retrofitted. It is the center spot of an older GMC Jimmy, which has the stupid rule of no CRS in the center, period. They were educated on the issue and chose to use the Futura there anyway, because otherwise it meant putting one child up front. They were able to get a solid install with the Futura in the center and want to keep all the kids in the back for now.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Darren had some laptops for sale maybe you could talk her into buying one? Wouldnt it be safer for one of the kids upfront that in the lap belt?

scatterbunny

By the time the youngest outgrows the Futura the Laptops will be expired, and even if he does outgrow the Futura before the Laptops are expired, he'll be 60 pounds then, and the Laptop only works up to 65 pounds. Not to mention the Laptop is almost impossible to get buckled next to the bigger kids (one in a booster, one in regular seatbelt). I have a Laptop and we tried it.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Ok then i'm out of suggestions. Hopefully someone developes a seat before he outgrows the futura that would work or they can afford a new (to them) car.

I've never gotten to use a laptop, they quit making them before i got hooked on car seats.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I had the Blazer -- HATE those vehicles ... stupidest thing ever made, can't use the lap only belt for carseats AND you can't add a top thether -- USELESS :mad: Soooooo glad I got rid of mine & I still get moody about my dealership breaking my Hybrid Escape with Side Curtain Airbags :eek: :( Oh well, such is life. I hope your friend can find a better family vehicle soon....

scatterbunny

The dad's truck just died and they *might* be buying an old Dodge Caravan from another friend. Which brings with it an entirely new set of problems, it has no shoulderbelts or headrests in the back. :( They are very headstrong friends, too, and would never consider higher weight limit seats/vests/harnesses for the older kids. :(

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yes, it was MDC. ;) I've never known a baby that big! lol AJ was 24# at 12 mos and I thought that was plenty big. I do commend her for keeping him rfing, a lot of moms would've flipped him long ago, even if it wasn't necessary. I just hope she is able to afford one of the higher limit seats. I guess if she has headrests, the Apex is the cheapest one w/ the Radian and FP being next. I wonder how tall he is. I put AJ in the Triumph today and he has maybe 2" before he's too tall (tips of ears even w/ seat). It was hard to tell since Target has all the seats hooked on the shelf, how stupid can a store be?!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Your target holds down the seats? How strange, mine are all lose. Our BRU also allows you to move them, we're not supposed to let parents put kids in seats on the shelves, they can fail.

I'm guessing you couldnt help them find a cheap safer car? Autotrader is nationwide and a great source for used cars or ebay its riskier (but i've bought 3 cars on it and never had an issue) but you can get a great deal if you watch for them.

scatterbunny

I feel like I've done all I can do--given them the information on why shoulderbelts and headrests are so important, emailed them the crash test video of the 6yo dummy in a lapbelt, but the mom just keeps saying, "We do what we have to do..." like there is no other option. I hate to say it, but I've given up. They have the info, it's up to them to use it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Somtimes you just have to, I guess ... no sense stressing yourself out more about it -- you've done your part ... hopefully they don't find themselves wishing they'd listened to you :(

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Its too bad she wont even listen to other options. I dont blame you for giving up, some ppl just wont listen to reason. I'm one fo those annoyingly persistent ppl so most of my friends and family do as i say so they dont have to hear about it for the next 6 months. I have given up on getting DF's cousin's kid out of an OHS seat, after 2 years of fighting (i knew his seat was wrong before i ever joined here!) I know she'll never put him in a 5 pnt (even when i offer to buy it!) and at least he is in a seat.

beebear23

Senior Community Member
thepeach80 said:
Yes, it was MDC. ;) I've never known a baby that big! lol AJ was 24# at 12 mos and I thought that was plenty big. I do commend her for keeping him rfing, a lot of moms would've flipped him long ago, even if it wasn't necessary. I just hope she is able to afford one of the higher limit seats. I guess if she has headrests, the Apex is the cheapest one w/ the Radian and FP being next. I wonder how tall he is. I put AJ in the Triumph today and he has maybe 2" before he's too tall (tips of ears even w/ seat). It was hard to tell since Target has all the seats hooked on the shelf, how stupid can a store be?!

Yeah, I hate that Target has them hooked to the shelf. But apparently people steal them(seriously, my mom works at Target) and sell them, so they have to hook them down. I keep complaining that they could at least put them down lower so people could try their kids in them. I've never tried my son in the Triumph, but he's a short little peanut and would probably still fit. He was only 18 pounds at 12 months. He didn't hit 20 pounds until 23-24 months.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
i guess it wouldnt be too difficult to steal an infant seat since so many ppl carry them around but how the heck do you steal a big seat like a convertible or booster? It seems to me that a security tag would be just as affective and make it easier for parents. If you ask will an associate unhook the seats?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC