3 under 3 - which stroller would suit best?

widgetwick

I need a new double for my 3 youngest. I have NEVER been pleased with what we have bought in the past and am determined this time to get something that works WELL!! :)
I had thought about a triple and saw the Joovy w/the jump seat. The reviews seem mixed so I think I'm just looking for a double for my new baby (due in a couple weeks) and my 23 pound 2 yo. Would be nice if I could occasionally use for my 33 pound 3 yo. I have owned the Duoglider as well as the Sit and Stand - couldn't stand either and gave both away. Things that are important are: manuverability, stroller weight, how easily it folds, max. weight for seats, 3yo could use, and ability to attach an infant bucket.

Cost is important as well - however this time realize to get one that I can actually steer may cost more that the $150 I have spent in the past. We tried out the Peg Aria 60/40 this weekend and really liked it - both my 5 and 7yo could manuver it on their own! What else is out there to consider? Our BRU is so limited. They had the Peg Aria, a Combi twin and a McLauren twin. Really only liked the Peg.

Are there any triples out there worthwhile to look at?

Thanks so much for the help!!! :)

ADS

southernbell

what price range are you looking at? my first suggestion would be a valco baby trimode, they are pricey but worth it. they are side by side but you can attach a toddler seat, i don't have the toddler seat but saw one recently with the toddler seat, and it looked like the toddler seat worked very well, it steers amazingly, if you don't need an actual seat for your oldest one valco baby also makes a stand on board that attaches to the back

eta i didn't see your second paragraph are you looking for one around 150?

Jennifer mom to my 7

I hear when you actually push the aria twin with weight it can seem heavy and rickety. I personally don't like the aria twin, but that is me. The valco is a good choice. You can also look into the abc twin everest with reclining toddler seat (which is what I have for my 3) but you would need to find one on craigslist ebay, or import new from new zealand. ANd you may not want to be taking it in and out of the car every day. A good double with a board may work also. Maybe the baby jogger city mini double? Yup, baby jogger city mini double seems to suit your purpose:) Or like was said, if you really want to try a triple, the valco or abc with the toddler seat.

canadiangie

For 3 under 3 I'd suggest a Valco Trimode with add-on toddler seat. In about a year when your 3y/o is 4y/o you could sell the add-on seat to fund a Hitchhiker for him to ride on. The Trimode isn't the lightest or smallest stroller in the world, but it's multi purpose... big air filled tires go anywhere, it's narrow enough to fit through doorways, it's built to last, and re-sale value is excellent.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
When I had 3 under 3 (2 yrs 8 mos, 13 mos, and newborn), I used a double for my 2 oldest and carried my youngest in a sling or Bjorn. I had a Duoglider, which I hated, and I see that you did too, so I'm not much help with stroller suggestions, but if I had to do it over again, I'd be torn. I might opt for the Joovy Caboose to have the option of having all 3 in a stroller, but I think I like side by sides better than tandem doubles.

You say cost is important. Do you have a specific budget in mind?

capeKO71

Ditton on the Valco - great stroller to push with 3.

I would skip the tripple joovy... it's a beast... and sometimes won't even fit into a car depending on your car.

I would however, go with the joovy ultralite which can fit 3 in a pinch (against manf. recommendations) - with my three lightweights, I would put a toddler up front, toddler on the back with the strap and my older son would hitch a ride standing...

but not very comfortable for long...

widgetwick

Thanks for the many responses! :)
Right now am considering the Valco, the Bob Rev. Duallie, and the Baby Jogger City Classic. I don't know about the toddler seat on the valco - hard to get a good look at it w/the pictures I found. Is the toddler way up high and blocking the kiddos behind him? Seems odd looking - but again couldn't get a good picture to see up close. How does the Hitch Hiker attach? I don't know for sure how much my son weighs (coming home from China next month) and he may be too big for the toddler seat. Would also like to have the baby bucket seat secure if possible as well. Its not crucial to have the seating for 3 though. I may just get a small single or umbrella to use for my 3yo son and have my eldest push.
My budget is no more then $700 or so.
Thanks!!! :)

I'm another that seconds the (or thirds) the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. I :love: mine like no other. All 3 of your kiddos can fit & fit for some time. You can get a car seat adapter for the Mini Double. It's a lightweight stroller, super easy to fold, easy to push & easy to clean.

I second too that wearing the baby while their small is a great option. When DS wasn't being cooperative I would wear a baby while he rode & the other baby rode. Now DS helps push while the girls ride. He's not really into wanting to ride anymore, but if I need him to he can & I can wear a girl.

widgetwick

I'm another that seconds the (or thirds) the Baby Jogger City Mini Double. I :love: mine like no other. All 3 of your kiddos can fit & fit for some time. You can get a car seat adapter for the Mini Double.

How do all three ride together? I didn't come across anything that showed that. Is it like a jump seat or a stand on? Do you know where to find it? Thanks!

Sorry, my sentence was misleading huh? I didn't mean that they could all ride IN it at the same time. Just that the seat weight max per seat is high enough that it will last a long time.

Like I said w/ my three. If my DS wants/needs to ride I wear one of the girls. But my DS (who is 3, a new 3) is doing tons better about sticking w/ me by holding onto the side of the stroller or helping push it.

How old is your 3yo? As in a new 3 or an older 3. Basically, how much longer do you see your 3yo wanting/needing to be in a stroller?

romanoma

with that high of a budget, you really could look at the ABC everest if you want/need all three to ride at the same time. Not nearly as portable as the others, but will be more comfortable for 3 riders if this will be required most of the time.

Otherwise I'd look for a ride on board on the back of a double for the older child.

Also, I have the BJ city elite double, and my 3 yr old can sit on the footrest while 2 younger kids occupy the seats. He's not restrained, but can ride if tired and if I'm steering carefully (this is totally not a "recommended use", but doable if needed)

Jennifer mom to my 7

with that high of a budget, you really could look at the ABC everest if you want/need all three to ride at the same time. Not nearly as portable as the others, but will be more comfortable for 3 riders if this will be required most of the time.

Otherwise I'd look for a ride on board on the back of a double for the older child.

Also, I have the BJ city elite double, and my 3 yr old can sit on the footrest while 2 younger kids occupy the seats. He's not restrained, but can ride if tired and if I'm steering carefully (this is totally not a "recommended use", but doable if needed)

Umm, yea, a third child can also ride on the footwell of a bob revolution duallie :whistle: if necessary. I did a couple of walks that way with my then 5+ year old riding there:D

southernbell

Umm, yea, a third child can also ride on the footwell of a bob revolution duallie :whistle: if necessary. I did a couple of walks that way with my then 5+ year old riding there:D

ds tries to hitch a ride on the foot rest on the valco too:rolleyes: its definately large enough he just adds a TON of extra weight he's almost 6 and pretty big for his age

MonsterMom6

Are there any triples out there worthwhile to look at?

Thanks so much for the help!!! :)

The triplet strollers that I know of may not be worth the expense for you, as the 3 year old may not be riding much longer. I'd keep a baby carrier with me and put the 3 year old in the stroller when needed. I'm out of the loop on doubles but found that my Duoglider was much harder to push and steer than my quad stroller. The Valco sounds like a nice alternative.

Peg Perego makes a triplet stroller. I think you can only put a Peg car seat on them, but I could be wrong. Worth looking into. I know some triplet families that use them until kids are out of strollers, yet other find that once the kids are a bit over 1 year, it gets difficult to steer and push. You can take it apart to store in your trunk.

Baby Trend- almost everyone I know only get about 1 year out of these. Just not great quality and can't handle the weight of older kids.

Runabout- can't put an infant car seat on it. Doesn't fold for transport, but many can get them in the back of the minivan (depends on the model) by pushing down the handle bar. Not plush, kind of industrial looking, but will hold up well. Can often find them used on Craigs List, Ebay, www.tripletconnection.com, www.mostonline.org. I used my quad from the time my girls were 9 months - 4.5 years. Easy peasy to steer. I do know many who put newborns in the seats, but with "car seat inserts" and rolled blankets.

Baby Jogger Triple- super duper wide. Can't put car seat on it. I'm not sure about how supportive it is for babies who don't sit independently.

AlishaNC82

I would recommend the Valco Twin with the Add on Toddler Seat. Each seat, including the toddler seat, holds 44 lbs each so you don't really have to worry about outgrowing the seats by weight for most kids. The seat sits in the middle of the two seats and does slightly block the view of the kids behind, but they can still see in front of them and to the side. I would recommend getting the canopy for the toddler seat, because the canopies on the stroller don't cover the toddler seat.

I will try to find some pics of my older model one with the toddler seat. I ended up selling the older one with the toddler seat and buying a newer model.

If you are planning to use it as your primary stroller out and about you will need a large trunk or cargo area.

I would keep a check on your local CL, I found my Valco Twin, the newer one, for $100 so sometimes you can get them for a really great deal.

southernbell

I would recommend the Valco Twin with the Add on Toddler Seat. Each seat, including the toddler seat, holds 44 lbs each so you don't really have to worry about outgrowing the seats by weight for most kids. The seat sits in the middle of the two seats and does slightly block the view of the kids behind, but they can still see in front of them and to the side. I would recommend getting the canopy for the toddler seat, because the canopies on the stroller don't cover the toddler seat.

I will try to find some pics of my older model one with the toddler seat. I ended up selling the older one with the toddler seat and buying a newer model.

If you are planning to use it as your primary stroller out and about you will need a large trunk or cargo area.

I would keep a check on your local CL, I found my Valco Twin, the newer one, for $100 so sometimes you can get them for a really great deal.

$100 :eek: thats a steal, there is an older model on our craigslist for $500!!!

AlishaNC82

Southernbell,
I know as soon as I saw the price I emailed them immediately. It had been listed for a few days and miraculously it hadn't been bought yet. I was in shock since people pay $100 for a Graco duoglider here and think they have gotten a great deal.

ateammom

What about the UppaBaby Vista? It's $669 for the bassinet, chassis, and main seat. The rumble seat is $139 and piggy back board is $89. It's a little over your budget, but you could buy the stroller now and the other parts in a few months.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC