Question 3 carseats in a Chevy Malibu

U

Unregistered

Hi!

I have a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old and we're expecting #3 at the beg of Feb.

We have a van and a Malibu. We currently use Britax car seats and completely love them.

However, the one issue with the Britax seats is that they are quite wide. There's no way I could fit an infant seat between the two Britax seats in the car.

I have heard a lot of great things about the Diono Radian seats. Does anyone know if 3 of these would fit in a Malibu? Or 2 of these and a slimmer infant seat? (My current infant seat is a Peg Perego ... HUGE so any suggestions on a SAFE and slimmer alternative would be great!)

Thanks for the help in advance!

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I might not be picturing a Malibu correctly, but if I am, you should be able to put a rear facing Britax in the center with a forward facing Britax behind the driver and the Peg behind the passenger. Britax seats fit together going opposite directions really well. They take up about 4 more inches going the same direction. Pegs also puzzle well with rfing britax, the knob of the handle just clears the side. Then when somebody outgrows something, move the 2 year old to the ffing britax, the baby to the ffing one, and you only have to install one seat to replace the peg for the 4 year old.

Of course, this only works if your 2 year old will fit rear facing in the Britax.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
What year is your Malibu? The older model Malibus and even the newer Malibus that are the Classic models are pretty accommodating for 3 across scenarios, like the one that safeinthecar described. For '08 (I believe) and newer Redesigned Malibus, it might be a little trickier to accomplish 3 across with your current seats, and then you might have to consider some narrower seats, like the Radians that you mentioned. :)

kam1011

oo oo ooh! I had three that size in a 2008 Malibu. When they were super little, we did RF Coccoro (drivers side) - FF Radian - Combi Shuttle. Then when the baby outgrew the Shuttle, we got a turbobooster for the oldest, the middle kid got the radian, the baby got the Coccoro. When the baby outgrew the Coccoro, then we got a My Ride, which fit in the center between the radian and TB. I still totally recommend using the Coccoro for a few years though because it's much more comfortable for the front passengers than the My Ride was.

Right before I traded it in, we had a SK400-Radian-literider. That was really really tight, but just barely fit. The backseat is only 51".

ETA: Coccoro would be for the baby. Your 2yo probably already wouldn't fit or is just about to outgrow it.

bnsnyde

We had a Malibu (2005) with 3 across when baby #3 arrived. Our other kids were 4 and 15 months.

We had two FF Radians (bought for this purpose), and a Britax Companion infant seat. Later we put the Evenflo Triumph Advance rear-facing to replace the infant seat, and it fit. So, with the two Radians, we had lots of room!

The only thing I would have done differently was rear-face the 15-month-old. I went to a seat check and they put it FF. I was very pregnant, and well, this was a few years ago. (And they were only RF to 40 lb. Radians so my 4-year-old could not have done so).

That 15-month-old baby is now nearly five years old and just got turned FF (round two) in an updated Radian!

Lenae

Hello! Welcome!

I just got an '01 Malibu and I did a couple of three across scenarios, just playing around. It's fairly roomy back there. If you already have Britaxes, I suggest trying what Safeinthecar suggested. Otherwise, a Radian and a Britax convertible puzzle well together in the same direction. I have never even seen a Peg infant seat, so I can't comment there.

S

ShakeragSusan

I'm in a similar situation.

I have a 2001 Malibu with a 3 year old in a First Years Truefit, a 5 year old in a Boulevard, and a baby on the way.

My mother has Radians for my kids in her van, so I am planning on trying one Radian RF with the Truefit and Blvd forward facing. I'll let you know how it goes.

L

LactMom

I have a 2014 Malibu & just found out #3 is on the way. I have a 4 & 6 yr old, both in Graco Nautilus seats. I do have an extra Graco full-backed booster for my 6 yr old on hand as well. The infant carrier I have is a Chicco Keyfit with the base. Will these work together?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I have a 2014 Malibu & just found out #3 is on the way. I have a 4 & 6 yr old, both in Graco Nautilus seats. I do have an extra Graco full-backed booster for my 6 yr old on hand as well. The infant carrier I have is a Chicco Keyfit with the base. Will these work together?

I doubt it. I think the Nautilus is just too wide to work and all the seats you have are very boxy. Puzzling works better with curvy seats.

How heavy and tall are the 4 and 6 year olds and what kind of budget are you working with to replace seats as needed?

hlucas777

We had a Malibu (2005) with 3 across when baby #3 arrived. Our other kids were 4 and 15 months.

We had two FF Radians (bought for this purpose), and a Britax Companion infant seat. Later we put the Evenflo Triumph Advance rear-facing to replace the infant seat, and it fit. So, with the two Radians, we had lots of room!

The only thing I would have done differently was rear-face the 15-month-old. I went to a seat check and they put it FF. I was very pregnant, and well, this was a few years ago. (And they were only RF to 40 lb. Radians so my 4-year-old could not have done so).

That 15-month-old baby is now nearly five years old and just got turned FF (round two) in an updated Radian!

How did you have the seats radian radian britax? And then radian triumph radian? Lol thanks for the help. I have 2 triumphs right now and trying to figure how to fit 3 seats back there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC