3 car seats help!!!

cupcakepirate11

I'm sorry if I was pushy I only suggested new seats for them purely to be able to fit more seats. I think that's what a lot of us are suggesting! My son is a giant. My goal is rear facing till 3.5. He happily puts his legs up on the back of the seat and let's just be honest I forward faced him once and he was a terrible back seat yeller! I couldn't turn him back around fast enough lol.

Please don't think we are shoving any opinions down your throat, a lot of us here go the the extreme end of rear facing. What made me decide to erf was the words "internal decapitation" car seat safety has come a long way since we were kids!

The combi looks like a great choice, and that really stinks your car is small and still gets poor mpg! Wah

ADS

ks8511

With over 150 k on a Honda just make sure the timing belt is changed and you should be good. Would you consider a rf convertible for the baby, then you can ff it later.You found get more use out of it and might fit better rf in the center w the others ff? I know ppl like the bucket but In your case you wouldn't have to buy another seat later and if might fit better.

Sure sounds great.. I'll probably get a sling or something of the sort to carry the baby at stores since you're not really supposed put car seats on shopping carts anyways =O

ks8511

I'm sorry if I was pushy I only suggested new seats for them purely to be able to fit more seats. I think that's what a lot of us are suggesting! My son is a giant. My goal is rear facing till 3.5. He happily puts his legs up on the back of the seat and let's just be honest I forward faced him once and he was a terrible back seat yeller! I couldn't turn him back around fast enough lol.

Please don't think we are shoving any opinions down your throat, a lot of us here go the the extreme end of rear facing. What made me decide to erf was the words "internal decapitation" car seat safety has come a long way since we were kids!

The combi looks like a great choice, and that really stinks your car is small and still gets poor mpg! Wah

Idk that just sounds equally as unsafe to me if their legs are curved or bent upwards.. Plus I know my girls would have a fit, they love being forward. But tho each her own I guess.

cupcakepirate11

He was about 2.75 in this photo. And thats a Diono Radian he is in :) he was 11lbs at birth and yes he has a flower car seat. I have a Toyota corolla. Kids are way more flexible than us!

ForumRunner_20130327_192516.png

ebp913

It's not going nowhere, I just don't appreciate asking for an opinion on a good fit for a car then having 10 different people ask why don't I just get new car seats and turn my kids around, especially when I specifically said in my original post I had no intention of doing so.

Why aren't you just getting new seats and keeping your car? That would be WAY cheaper than getting a car to fit your current seats. Also, just FYI, a RF seat is not outgrown when a child's feet hit the seat. That's totally safe and appropriate with a RFing seat.

nannykates

Hondas really can keep running with high mileage. My entire family drives high mileage hondas right now, I have an 01 accord with 160, 000, my mom has an 07 fit with 130, 000, my dad has an 01 civic with 175, 000. We do oil changes tire rotation and such. Its quite manageable not like its something new broken every week. We used to have an 00 odyssey that we drove to 237, 000 miles (not a typo dead serious) and the only reason it died is because my brother hit the neighbors parked truck. It was running great before that and we even drove it in the mountains of Colorado just the day before! When we still had the van it was my daily driver, I miss it all the time (I'm 21)! I wish you luck!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I don't see where anybody is criticizing your parenting, or even addressing it at all. You said you had about 5000 to spend. People are trying to give you ways to do what you need by spending 500 instead, and get a safety bonus in the bargain while giving you a video to refer to if you need info on how it's safer.

The grandfather of the little boy in the video is a member here. That's why we use that video. Because we know the situation very very well.

Even so, you are right, it's your choice to make and if you want to ffs your children, that's up to you. You say you know the risks. Our mission is to help you make an informed choice, and it seems like we have done that.

For an SUV that will fit 3 across with your current seats for under 5000, you are looking at a Ford or Chevy around the 2000 model year.

D&L's-mommy

Sure sounds great.. I'll probably get a sling or something of the sort to carry the baby at stores since you're not really supposed put car seats on shopping carts anyways =O

this sounds like a great idea. I see a lot of slings at local consignment shops, which I like because slings can cost $100 or more!( I would try to avoid infantino slings, they can be pulled apart by hand :eek:) I would say get the best vehicle you can for your budget, then re-evaluate the car seat situation. It's hard to know how well you'll be able to get 3 seats in until you have your hands on the vehicle (a lot of us have had opportunities to work with these vehicles and seats, that's why we're giving the suggestions we are). You said you have maybe $200 for a new seat for the baby, you could use that to get whatever new seats you may need, I know you really don't want to have to replace the chase seats, but if you can get a better quality vehicle by going to walmart and picking up 3 cosco sceneras (I'm not sure if you're familiar with that seat,but it can be used rf and ff, so all your kids can use 1) for $40 each it'd be worth it, like I said, you can always sell your current seats and get probably $20 each for them,so that would cover the cost of 1 scenera. I know it's hard on a budget, we're currently looking for a new car, we also need to get 3 car seats in, with our budget we're also looking at older suvs and vans with lots of miles, or a newer sedan with lower miles, so we're getting a smaller car and new car seats, we're not thrilled that we need to put out the money for car seats, but it means a vehicle that will last a lot longer, for us, and be better on gas (which is really important for us, the gas savings in a smaller car will pay for the cost of our new seats). I'm sorry if we're coming off as pushy, I think we're just trying to give you ideas of what has worked for some of us, sometimes you have to think outside the box

linneabw

I know it can be hard to seek advice when you are in a tough situation. You've come to the right place though. This site is full of women and men who want to help, want your kids to be safe and know their stuff! Try to keep an open mind. Good luck with your car search and with your little ones!

ks8511

Why aren't you just getting new seats and keeping your car? That would be WAY cheaper than getting a car to fit your current seats. Also, just FYI, a RF seat is not outgrown when a child's feet hit the seat. That's totally safe and appropriate with a RFing seat.

Did you even read my previous posts??? Or other replies??? My car is TINY. I had their old infant seats in this at too... There's not even a full middle seat.... Thus is the space between their current seats. No matter what seats I get a third will not fit!!! And I NEED a new car because a. I'm having several problems and tired of putting wrk into this car and b. I hate the car I have. But thanks for being judgmental and sounding cocky when I asked very nicely actually for a simple answer, and I even posted my reasons earlier.

Attachments

• image-1091477508.jpg
    image-1091477508.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 34

ks8511

I don't see where anybody is criticizing your parenting, or even addressing it at all. You said you had about 5000 to spend. People are trying to give you ways to do what you need by spending 500 instead, and get a safety bonus in the bargain while giving you a video to refer to if you need info on how it's safer.

The grandfather of the little boy in the video is a member here. That's why we use that video. Because we know the situation very very well.

Even so, you are right, it's your choice to make and if you want to ffs your children, that's up to you. You say you know the risks. Our mission is to help you make an informed choice, and it seems like we have done that.

For an SUV that will fit 3 across with your current seats for under 5000, you are looking at a Ford or Chevy around the 2000 model year.

Yes but it's not like I have 5000 cash I have a loan for that much from my bank for a car, I thought I was clear about that, but maybe I wasn't?? And I don't have 500 to spend on new seats when I'm expecting a new baby that I have NOTHING for because I got rid of all out baby stuff (aside from that one car seat i posted an out strollers) it was not planned I would have another baby any time soon, but sometimes things like this just happen. And when people continuously ask why don't I ff it makes me feel like they're calling me dumb or judging me instead of just answering my question.

Brianna

Also FYI I never said it was outgrown just that my girls would not enjoy it.

safeinthecar did give you suggestions for vehicles, I hope that helps.

For what it's worth, I've recently been driving a little boy in my car that turns 2 in May and has been forward facing since his first birthday. I put him rear facing in my car and other than whining the first time he's been fine- I think he actually likes his new view. It's certainly your choice which direction they face, but it's hard to say whether they would like it or not.

The other boy I drive has been FF in my car since he turned 3 and outgrew his Evenflo Triumph rear facing, he's 3 1/2 now. I installed an Evenflo Sureride rear facing in my car just to see how he would fit- he's at the max height and weight for RF- he was so excited to see the new seat in my car that he climbed right in and started to buckle himself with the biggest grin on his face!

I hope you will consider leaving baby #3 rear facing until at least 2. Congrats on your growing family :)

ks8511

this sounds like a great idea. I see a lot of slings at local consignment shops, which I like because slings can cost $100 or more!( I would try to avoid infantino slings, they can be pulled apart by hand :eek:) I would say get the best vehicle you can for your budget, then re-evaluate the car seat situation. It's hard to know how well you'll be able to get 3 seats in until you have your hands on the vehicle (a lot of us have had opportunities to work with these vehicles and seats, that's why we're giving the suggestions we are). You said you have maybe $200 for a new seat for the baby, you could use that to get whatever new seats you may need, I know you really don't want to have to replace the chase seats, but if you can get a better quality vehicle by going to walmart and picking up 3 cosco sceneras (I'm not sure if you're familiar with that seat,but it can be used rf and ff, so all your kids can use 1) for $40 each it'd be worth it, like I said, you can always sell your current seats and get probably $20 each for them,so that would cover the cost of 1 scenera. I know it's hard on a budget, we're currently looking for a new car, we also need to get 3 car seats in, with our budget we're also looking at older suvs and vans with lots of miles, or a newer sedan with lower miles, so we're getting a smaller car and new car seats, we're not thrilled that we need to put out the money for car seats, but it means a vehicle that will last a lot longer, for us, and be better on gas (which is really important for us, the gas savings in a smaller car will pay for the cost of our new seats). I'm sorry if we're coming off as pushy, I think we're just trying to give you ideas of what has worked for some of us, sometimes you have to think outside the box

I don't have a problem with new CHEAP seats its just when people post about these specialty seats like 200 300 a pop and I'm supposed to buy three?? I can't afford it..

linneabw

Pp are just stating the FACT that rfing is safer. As their mother you are allowed to ff if you want. BUT they would be doing a disservice if they didn't at least try to get you to think about rfing. It's pretty clear you don't really want help. There were some suggestions for vehicles, go to the lots and look at the back seats, measure and try the three seats you have. Problem solved.

ks8511

Pp are just stating the FACT that rfing is safer. As their mother you are allowed to ff if you want. BUT they would be doing a disservice if they didn't at least try to get you to think about rfing. It's pretty clear you don't really want help. There were some suggestions for vehicles, go to the lots and look at the back seats, measure and try the three seats you have. Problem solved.

I do want help... Finding a car... The people who suggested cars I "thanked" and replied to actually....

MorgieBear'sMama

I've took some time to look at vehicles in your price range. I'm seeing 2000-2002 small suv's (think Ford escape) and mid sized sedans (accord, altima, etc). The issues here is these back seats aren't large. With your current seats an infant seat isn't going to puzzle in there just right. Now you could go spend $200 on a new infant seat just to have a new one, but I don't see the reasoning behind that considering you have an infant seat and your older girls have seats that won't work in a tight 3 across. What I would do is use the infant seat you have and buy the girls each a secure ride (around $100 each). Or even splurge on a low profile seat that will sit under the base of a high profile seat.

No one here is bashing your parenting. We all have put a lot of time and research into transporting our kids safely. We only want to help you in the best possible way.

PS- I am a single mommy of 2 year old twins and a 9 year old. I drive a tiny old car (98 mazda protege) because I can't afford a new one. Yes it meant $600 in new seats but we made it work :)

nataliem257

I so understand how you feel. Kids that you love but did not plan and you're doing the best you can, and at every turn it seems like someone is telling you how you could be doing something better, whether its breast feeding, cloth diapers, bumperless crib bedding, or whatever the craze of the moment happens to be. But I promise you, that’s not what’s going on here. The women and men of this board are honestly just trying to give you the best advice they can given the circumstances you presented. So after reading through this thread, these are the key points that I have picked up on: you hate your car and you want to replace it and you have a 5,000 budget, great, that’s a good budget to start with. You need to make a 3 across work and you have a $200 budget on that, again, that’s a very healthy budget to work with. So this is what I would do -- you can get a GREAT infant bucket for under $100 (a base model snugride or an evenflo comes to mind) and then get 2 $40 dollar Cosco Sceneras. That would bring you in under your $200 budget. Then, I would be looking at Impalas. I know you prefer a SUV, but if you are financing the car and want it to last, you can get a lot more for your money if you get a sedan with a big back seat and the Impala is huge. You could easily get those 3 seats 3 across I believe (although I've never done it personally, one of the techs can chime in if I’m giving bad advice). It makes way more sense, at least to me, to spend the $200 on narrower seats for your twins than to spend that much all on an infant bucket. Plus, as others have stated, you can sell your Chases, and pass down the Scenera's to the new baby. The Scenera's also have the added bonus of converting RF or FF. As for everyone encouraging you to rear face even though you didn't ask about it, I think a lot of that comes from most people who come on this board to ask questions just don't know how much safer it is. I was one of those mothers, I turned my oldest daughter around at 18 months because that’s what people did, and I never questioned it. I WISH I had found this board back then. People are just trying to give you the best information there is, without passing judgment. It really is that important. This isn't one of those hyper dramatic mommy war crazes, this is literally the difference between your child walking out of a crash without a scratch, and having their skull ripped off their spine by brute force. I have a real life example: My 2 step children were in a crash with my husband and his then wife, one was 13 months and one was 2 months, 13 month old was forward facing and the baby was RF, the baby walked away without a scratch and the toddler crushed her neck and had to have reconstructive surgery that involved having to remove her ribs to rebuild her vertebral column. If you get the scenera's, you can just try to flip them, and see what they do. You never know, they might love it, a lot of kids find it more comfy, and it can't hurt to try. Plus, it will be easier to get your needed 3 across that way. Again, I can not stress enough that no one is judging you even though it might feel that way, we're honestly just trying to help out a mother who obviously adores her kids or she wouldn't be here in the first place trying to figure out what’s best for them.

MommyShannon

As for a vehicle, I broke down and got a Honda Odyssey when we had our 3rd. Its really been great for loading kids with sliding doors instead of doors that close on me if we are on a hill or its windy. Car crashes are the #1 cause of death for children. #1. The techs on this forum know the facts and physics behind child safety to prevent those deaths. Every body wants to prevent/cure childhood cancers, put fences around pools, locks on cabinet doors, etc. All those things are important, but car crashes are the #1 cause of death of children under 12. Though you weren't asking whether your car seats were safe or whether to rearface, they'd be doing you a disservice as mentioned to not offer their knowledge if they are aware of an issue. I don't have any doubt you aren't already trying to keep your girls as safe as possible. There is just a lot of outdated and misinformation out there. For instance you were concerned about their legs hitting the seat. Its a common misconception that that's dangerous. There is lots of proof that it isn't dangerous for legs to touch the seat back. There is also lots of proof that forward facing will cause internal decapitation in young kids in serious accidents. This animation shows the difference in ff and rf. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmnvTDgNZLc&sns=em"]Child Car Seats | Rear Facing vs Forward Facing | SillaCocheBebe.com - YouTube[/ame] You're right, we didn't ride in boosters as kids. Thank goodness I was never in a serious accident and became part of the statistics behind car crashes being the #1 killer of children.

CMeMeC

I agree that an impala might be a good choice for you. I drive an older suv with a third row and it's a pain to access the third row with three kids in car seats and there are no top tether anchors in the third row of mine for forward facing seats and that's pretty common. Given your budget, I think you could find a nice impala with lower miles than you would an suv, plus they are easier on gas than an suv saving you money. My parents have a 2006 (around that, anyway) that they purchased a while back for about $5k. It's a really nice car and I've installed three across in it many, many times with a variety of seats. As far as seats go, I would try the three seats you have first once you find a car. I think the reason you aren't finding many examples of three across with your seats is because they just don't work well in a three across situation. You could utilize your $200 infant seat purchase and purchase 3 cosco sceneras or two new seats and use one that you have already.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC