3 Across in Subaru Outback 2012

U

Unregistered

I just spent all afternoon trying to puzzle in our 3 car seats in the back of my Outback 2012 (wide body style, nice flat backseat). Wonder if anyone has had experience w/ this or could give tips?

In April we will have: a 4 year old, a 2 year old (small for his age, so probably want to RF), and a newborn.

The seats we have to work with are:
Graco Snugride 22
Radian RXT
and then we have 3 different Britax's we can work with: Diplomat (now discontinued, but super small convertible), Boulevard 70, Marathon 70.

I thought since I bought one Radian we'd have room to work with, but I have tried putting the Radian in the center and on one side and still cannot fit the Snugride (even w/o the base) and Diplomat with it. I haven't tried the Boulevard or Marathon, but they are so huge I figured if I couldn't get the Diplomat in there it wasn't worth trying. But, maybe I am wrong? My back hurts!!! So, I am giving up for now, but looking for advice!

Thank you!

ADS
U

Unregistered

This is OP here! Sorry to clutter up the board, b/c after trying a bunch of different things for several hours, I finally think I figured out a way to do it!

I put the Radian RXT in the center with a seatbelt install (which is good, since the Subaru LATCH weight limit is only 60 lbs from what I read on here with seat and child combined), and then I ditched the Diplomat and tried the Marathon 70 and put that on one side RFing with LATCH, and was able to fit the Snugride 22 with base on the other side! What a relief! It actually fits really easily without that dumb Diplomat in the mix!

Oh well, hopefully someone else might find this useful, as I did find it hard to find a lot of info on the new body style Outbacks and 3 across.

Thanks!

scariestone

I'm glad you found a solution! Just to let you know, there are no lower tether anchors in the middle seat, only a top tether for forward facing car seats. Also make sure all the seats are independently tight. I have an '11 forester so basically the same back seat and I've managed to fit a radian, myride and baseless infant seat in the middle if that helps you at all for the future. With the radian RF I did have to twist the female end of the buckle twice to get it tight because of that chunky connector that brings the shoulder belt from the ceiling and the lap belt together.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC