Question 3 across in older corolla

mamakc

I need to figure out a workable way to do a 3 across in a 2000 corolla. It needs to be a user friendly arrangement so I won't be pulling my hair out every day. Ideally, I would like to put the oldest in the middle and be able to take the youngest's seat out on weekends when I'm not babysitting so another adult passenger can sit in the back.

I tried the search, but couldn't get it to work for me. I did find someone on the successful radian install thread saying the radian does not work ff in my car. I thought I got a good install, but now I'm not so sure.

Kids are a 5 yo, 43lbs FF. 3yo 36lbs FF. 1.5yo (2 soon) 24ish lbs RF.

Any suggestions? Currently I have a radian, two complete air 65 lx's, a maestro, avenue, dreamtime, monterey, and turbo to play with. New seats will be an option if needed.

Last edited:
ADS

mamakc

Bumping.. anyone know what plays nice with a maestro?

-Krista
DD~5~Monterey & Dreamtime
DS~3~Complete Air 65 LX & Maestro
DN~1~Complete Air LX

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've put Radians in Corollas of that era. They install. Not easily but acceptably.

I bet you could make a Radian ff center, CA ff (oh wait... LX? Well, try it though it's a bit wider), Avenue rf work...

mamakc

Should I consider trading a ca for another radian? Or using the ave ff instead of the ca and maybe getting a scenera for rf?

-Krista
DN~1~Complete Air LX

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Avenue just won't last very long FF, so I wouldn't do that. The Avenue and Scenera take the same amount of front-back space in the Corolla and I found a RF Avenue puzzled well with a Radian. If you can get another Radian it will make your life easier for sure, but I'm not 100% sure it's necessary- I'd try what you have first.

mamakc

Ok thanks. I'll get to play tomorrow, but looking at that back seat has me scared. I know it's possible though. It has to be!

-Krista
DN~1~Complete Air LX

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Put the middle Radian in first, that will show you how much space you have on either side... Then you can play and see what you can make fit. You may end up rearranging with the RF seat in the middle or something. But I'd try radian center first. :) Good luck!

mamakc

I got the radian in the middle and I could get the ca65lx next to it (barely..very difficult to tighten it's a tight fit). I cant get the avenue in rf though. I got it in but the door wouldn't close and I didnt bother checking if it was independent because of that. I tried my junky scenera (currently in use as a toddler chair in the family room) and got it installed, door closed, but when I checked if it was independent it was not. Couldn't get it to be, either, hard as I tried. So now I'm not sure where to go from here. This will soon be our only car. I need to be able to quickly install seats and take them back out when that child isn't with me. The only one I have 100% of the time is ds, so I want him in the radian in the center, I will keep that seat installed always, the other two will be taken out a lot. I couldn't fit a hbb next to it so I tried the harmony backless. I'm not a big fan of backless for the younger set, but I'm not completely opposed either. What do you think:
Backlessharmonycorolla.jpg

For everyday ease of use I like the booster idea, but she is outboard and it freaks me out. However I know she would always be "installed" right, but with the ff ca I might make mistakes taking it in and out a lot.

So whether ff harness or backless booster, dd & ds are basically figured out, but that still leaves me with a need for a rf seat on the other side of the radian for a 22 month old. What should I try next? I really don't want to buy a radian for a part time kid (not because of cost, because I hate radians..it's bad enough I have to have one, I don't want two lol).

-Krista
DN~1~Complete Air LX

mamakc

Alright we did just figure out that if we got another maestro we can do maestro, rf radian, maestro. So at least I know we can do SOMETHING, but I would still prefer to find a rf seat that will fit next to the ff radian. :(

-Krista
DN~1~Complete Air LX

mamakc

In case anyone searches this topic, here is the final result...so far. Hope this looks ok, because I'm tired! Lol all were checked for independent installs. I had to remove the inside cupholder from each maestro to make it work.

2012-04-28174422.jpg

-Krista
DN~1~Complete Air LX

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC