3 Across In A Civic

soontobe3

We're expecting #3 in September and unfortunately our two cars are a Honda Element and a 2008 Honda Civic. Both are paid for, so I'm looking to avoid a car payment for as long as possible, although I know that eventually we'll be buying something bigger. My oldest is 4, 40" and 35 lbs, he's currently FF in a Marathon. My youngest is 1, 29", 20 lbs and is RF in a Britax Chaperone. Is it really possible to put 3 across in our Civic safely? I measured the back seat this morning, roughly 53" wide. Or will we be like sardines in a can and I should just give up and buy a van ASAP? Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Yes, but you're going to want two Radians to do it with. The good news is they install nicely in the Civics, so you can do one FF for your oldest, another RF with angle adjuster for your youngest... I assume you'll be using the Chaperone for the new baby? That may or may not work even with two Radians, the Chaperone is pretty huge. A Keyfit or Snugride 30 would fit though, or something like a Coccoro if you wanted to use a convertible.

Your Element only has two rear seating positions though, right? So that's going to be impossible for all of you to ride in. :)

EmmaGrace'sMom

Yes, but you're going to want two Radians to do it with. The good news is they install nicely in the Civics, so you can do one FF for your oldest, another RF with angle adjuster for your youngest... I assume you'll be using the Chaperone for the new baby? That may or may not work even with two Radians, the Chaperone is pretty huge. A Keyfit or Snugride 30 would fit though, or something like a Coccoro if you wanted to use a convertible.

Your Element only has two rear seating positions though, right? So that's going to be impossible for all of you to ride in. :)
Ditto

I drive an 09 Civic and have a rf Radian in the middle with the angle adjuster and a Frontier outboard. The Radian is off center slightly so I can't fit anything beside it, if it were more centered I could get another Radian or CCO for sure. I think you'll have a tough time leaving enough driver/passenger room in the front with an infant seat on a base. I would probably look at the CCO or an Evenflo tribute for the baby.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I think I might try to put your middle child rf behind the driver, oldest center and baby behind the passenger.

Your middle might be okay rf in the MA behind the driver, oldest in a Radian FF center, and baby in a CCO/Tribute/Keyfit/Snugride30.

The RF MA and FF Radian will puzzle fairly well together and might save you from buying two Radians. The MA can be more upright and will take up less (front to back) space than a Radian RF, even if the Radian has an angle adjuster.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
You can do it with a variety of seats. At least one Radian is required, but I don't have to have an angle adjuster unless you want one. I can install Radians RF in my Civic with no issues at all.

EmmaGrace'sMom

You can do it with a variety of seats. At least one Radian is required, but I don't have to have an angle adjuster unless you want one. I can install Radians RF in my Civic with no issues at all.

I don't think Honda allows touching though right, at least for the passenger seat? I'm going to have to dig out my manual tonight...

canadiangie

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I've done a ff Graco MyRide behind driver, ff Radian middle, and rf Radian passenger with Angle Adjuster. I installed the rf radian first using a locking clip, then the ff Radian middle, then the ff MyRide using seatbelt. The MyRide puzzles beautifully with the Radian.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't think Honda allows touching though right, at least for the passenger seat? I'm going to have to dig out my manual tonight...

I've done RF behind both the driver and center with the Radian almost touching , but with a little bit of space, without an angle adjuster. It used to be easier when SKJP allowed installation with the seat pulled back from the seat bight, but it isn't impossible even with the seat in the bight. It is just a little more challenging.

:)

soontobe3

Thank you for all the suggestions. Yes, our Element only seats four so we won't all be going anywhere together in that car and it will be the car that we eventually get rid of. Looks like I should start with one Radian and then see if I can fit my Marathon and our old snugride in there and go from there.

KimmyT

I'm curious if you found a solution to your question. I have an '09 Civic, and am not yet expecting #3, but am looking at purchasing a larger seat for my oldest right now, and I also have a Chaperone that I was hoping to hold onto. Were you able to make it work with a Chaperone at all?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC