Question 3 across in a 2003 Civic?

U

Unregistered

We recently found out we are expecting our third child. I have a 2003 Honda Civic (4 door) and I would like to see if I can fit 3 car seats in there for a year or so until I can get a new car. When the baby is due we will have a 5.5 year old (DS) and a 2.5 year old (DD). I am kind of all over the place right now in trying to find the right combination of seats. Right now I have the following seats:
Britax Frontier
Chicco Keyfit (old style)
Britax Marathon (old style)

I would like to use the Keyfit for the first few months just for convenience but I am not tied to it (it expires about 6 months after the baby is due and if I end up having to install it with no base I lose the convenience anyway). I am thinking the Frontier and the Marathon may be too big so I am okay with using them in DH’s car and buying new car seats for the Civic.

The reviews I have read say the Radian is slimmer than others. I could get two Radians (if the Frontier and/or Marathon won’t work) to use with the Keyfit (if it will fit) for now, but I am open to other ideas. My DD can be RF or FF at that point if that helps with puzzling the seats. Anyone have any experience with 3 across in a Civic?
Also:
Is it easier to fit three across if I use the seatbelts instead of the latch?
If I go with 2 new Radian seats should I get the RXT or the R100?

ADS

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would get a radian and try. Oldest in the ff radian, #2 rf in the MA and the keyfit you have. Try them in every order. Try installing all with seatbelts because it will give you more install space.

I would look at the R100 or R120 for the radians, because the wings of the RXT have gotten in the way sometimes when doing 3 across.

T

twobugmommee

Thank you. I will order one Radian and try it with the Keyfit and the Marathon in different combinations. If the Marathon is too wide I will get a second Radian. If the Keyfit is too wide I will try two Radian seats and the Marathon. I am hoping it will work in the short term. :)

bnsnyde

Nothing seems to fit in our 2005 Civic except 2 of any carseat. So we'll be getting a new car in the next few years.

Good luck with finding what works!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC