Question 3 across 01' Caravan

Keeks64

I had a client come for a check in an 01' Caravan.

The situation is she needs ( wants) 3 across the back & one captain chair stowed , the other is for a baby to be born any day.

She arrived with 2 radians side by side & an AOE outboard.

They appeared tight upon arrival but were jammed together , I uninstalled all the seats & had to add the safe stop on one & raise the harness straps on the other Radian.

I put the 2 Radians back in & there was NO way to fit the AOE back outboard, the base & the sides of the AOE kept it from sitting back against the seat. There was a good 2-3" gap.

We tried a Backless Turbo in place of the AOE but there is no way for the girl to buckle herself let alone the mom.

I suggested they try a lite rider & they were headed to Walmart to grab one & see if it would work.

Aside from that I'm not sure what would work. If possible she would like all kids harnessed. She won't entertain the idea of putting the baby in the back so that's out & she doesn't want to use the other captain chair & didn't seem open to the suggestion.

The kids are:
8yo - 54lbs & still fits with room to grow in an RXT
4yo - 37lbs , 4th harness slot on R100
3yo - 34lbs , 4th harness slot on R100
Newb - SnugRide

ADS

tiggercat

Maestro/RN/RN?

RN/RN/RN

RN/MyRide/RN (?)

ETA: 3 across with a booster is torture in a caravan of that era. Seriously. I've done a variety in my 2002, and man, it is a pain.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Keeks64

Maestro/RN/RN?

RN/RN/RN

RN/MyRide/RN (?)

ETA: 3 across with a booster is torture in a caravan of that era. Seriously. I've done a variety in my 2002, and man, it is a pain.

Thanks!

I thought of the MR but its for a FF kid so I didn't really suggest it for the $150 price tag

I thought about a maestro but wasn't 100% sure it would work

BarbieWD

3 across in any era Caravan is a joke. Honestly. I've yet to do it in mine. And I've only ever heard of one person being able to do it. And it involved expensive car seats and I wasn't happy with the installs once I saw pictures.

I've heard (but never done) that 3 Radians doesn't work. I can get a Graco Nautilus center, a baseless or based install with either Snugride 22 or 32 passenger outboard, and the tiniest of adults driver's outboard. But there is NO WAY to get a 3rd car seat back there with the car seats I've had access to.

I owned an AOE and it took up more space than the Nautilus and it was a PITA to install any where in our caravan. Booster fit in my '07 3rd row passenger outboard on my then 5yo DD in a Graco TB HBB was great!

What is Mom willing to do in this situation? Is Mom willing to spend more money when there are options for her not to spend money and keep everyone safe?

Seriously, it may be a case of these are your only safe options: baby 3rd row with the radians (which is what I would do myself) or pull up a captains chair. And then let Mom decide.

In my van we do this:

Graco Snugride 32 with base in 3rd row pass outboard
Graco Nautilus off set UAS install 3rd row
Britax Marathon (rf) in 2nd row pass capt chair
Graco Nautilus in 2nd row driver capt chair

This configuration does eliminate a whole seating position when using the UAS in the 3rd row. I can fit the Nautilus center with a seat belt next to the Snugride, it's just easier for now not to!

To buckle my snugrider I stand in the back hatch (as babe is 19mths old). To buckle the 3rd row Nautilus, I stand in the door of the passenger side reach over the back of the chair where the Marathon is and buckle that way. It's really not that much of a reach. I'm 5'8" and do this more than easily. Yes I do have to reach, ya it may not be the "easiest" but I don't really want to climb all the way in the van either so....

HTH
~Barbie

sunflower

Would a Scenera fit? Isn't there one that RF to 40 lbs.? Or is the child too tall for it already?

You could explain to her that it isn't that complicated to have both chairs up, unless it's really uncomfortable for her to have to climb in. The Snugride in one, and a Radian in the other would allow her to walk in comfortably from the Radian side.

Keeks64

Thanks! I figured it was damn near impossible!!

She's just going to have to move up one of the chairs, that's her only safe option. Might not be ideal but neither is cramming 3 seats that don't fit

The littlest one would be too tall for the Scenera I think & ideally she doesn't need another convertible because the 8yo can be boostered & is booster ready!

tiggercat

I only have 2 radians, or I'd try it.
I have done 3 across in my van, but not with FF seats (my 02 only has a tether in the centre spot).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC